Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick in Melbourne :-(

Sick in Melbourne :-(

Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick in Melbourne :-(

Originally Posted by Jon77
We have been the total opposite <touches wood>

Much healthier here than in the UK. In the UK between April and early June I used to get shocking hayfever and had to med up all the time which I hated. My hayfever was linked the certain tree pollen that you don't really get here.

I had chest infections in the UK all the time and got pneumonia in 2008 and spent a night in hospital. Again no issues since arrival < touches wood again>

I will end it there as writing about this feels like I am tempting fate a little

we continue as we are
Same here. Must be the joys of Sydney
Old May 26th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotsista
Hi everyone,

We moved from Edinburgh to Melbourne 2 and a half years ago with our children (now aged 4 and 7).

We are very settled here, have been enjoying the outdoor life and have been lucky enough to both find jobs we are very happy in. We have also met some lovely people who I can imagine will be long time friends, which is very important especially to me, considering I had such a solid friendship group back in Scotland.

So......... what we are struggling with is the level of sickness within our family since we have come to Melbourne. My husband has had the flu a couple of times since we arrived and also chest infections. The kids are unwell constantly, at least every month - colds, flu, gastro, hayfever, asthma. Last year my daughter accumulated 6 weeks off school - all due to genuine sickness. My little one attends childcare 2 days a week and he is off regularly too. We found out he had glandular fever about a year ago and unfortunately he seems to be coming down with anything and everything since then :-(

Thank God I have such an understanding boss as I constantly have to take time off work. My husband takes his fair share off too. I had actually considered giving up the job as it was getting to the point of being embarrassing and I was worried incase my boss/colleagues didn't think I was genuine. They are actually all very supportive but it's become a bit of an office joke when someone asks 'how's the family?' I always have some story to tell!

I can see we are not the only ones as a couple of my friends here seem to experience the same levels of sickness with their families. At first I had thought we were still acclimatising but c'mon after so long I think we should've acclimatised by now?

Has anyone else experienced such sickness after moving from the UK? Will it get better? I hope and pray that it does as I am so exhausted with it.

I'm interested to ask I suppose as part of me thinks maybe we would've had all this sickness in Scotland anyway but I do feel that the changeable climate in Melbourne is partly to blame.

I type this whilst my husband is in bed with the flu, little one just getting over the flu, daughter just had tonsilitis and now with bad hayfever and conjunctivitis and I'm fighting the cold. Thank God it's been the school holidays!

Angela
x

Hi there Angela

I came across this thread whilst searching Melbourne. I know it's a while since you posted but I wondered if you've got over your several bouts of illness?

Hope so.

Molly
Old May 27th 2014, 9:20 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
We have been the total opposite <touches wood>

Much healthier here than in the UK. In the UK between April and early June I used to get shocking hayfever and had to med up all the time which I hated. My hayfever was linked the certain tree pollen that you don't really get here.

I had chest infections in the UK all the time and got pneumonia in 2008 and spent a night in hospital. Again no issues since arrival < touches wood again>

I will end it there as writing about this feels like I am tempting fate a little

we continue as we are
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Us too. I put this down to the fact that I no longer take public transport so don't get everyone sharing their germs with me.

BB

Me three.

I put it down to the extra vit d and lack of central heating.
I was always mildly unwell in the UK, haven't been at all here.

* goes away to touch large plank of wood