Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick of lurking time to ask questions

Sick of lurking time to ask questions

Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:30 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sick of lurking time to ask questions

Hi there poeple..lurker here ....I have to say you guys well done to make the big move,upsticks to Oz.(its my dream too ).. the more i read the more im determined to get there.Just a few questions if you dont mind answering ok
1..My fella is a plasterer/plumber and works for himself but..only been s/employed for 8 months. Would this be a problem hes had his qualis for 4 years.
2, we would have no money hardly (only savings) as we have no house to sell.We rented ,cound get on the property ladder . do you need a certain amount before we enter the country whats the minimum.
3.Is there any one i can talk to in person (some sort of agency?) to explain the first steps to emmigrating...i just need pointing the right direction all i see is forms forms forms.

Thanks you guys
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:34 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sick of lurking time to ask questions

Originally Posted by Racht70
3. Is there any one i can talk to in person (some sort of agency?) to explain the first steps to emmigrating...i just need pointing the right direction all i see is forms forms forms.

Thanks you guys
We used Concept Australia in Manchester, very good and very reasonable. www.conceptaustralia.co.uk
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there poeple..lurker here ....I have to say you guys well done to make the big move,upsticks to Oz.(its my dream too ).. the more i read the more im determined to get there.Just a few questions if you dont mind answering ok
1..My fella is a plasterer/plumber and works for himself but..only been s/employed for 8 months. Would this be a problem hes had his qualis for 4 years.
2, we would have no money hardly (only savings) as we have no house to sell.We rented ,cound get on the property ladder . do you need a certain amount before we enter the country whats the minimum.
3.Is there any one i can talk to in person (some sort of agency?) to explain the first steps to emmigrating...i just need pointing the right direction all i see is forms forms forms.

Thanks you guys
Hello and welcome to the site. I think that you have to show 6 years previous experience in trade, but not 100% sure. Your best bet would be to contact an agency to start with as they will be able to offer you some advice as to wether or not you will qualify for the points to apply.
We used www.1stcontact.co.uk and we were very happy with their service.
You could also have a look on www.immy.gov.au
Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:37 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: Sick of lurking time to ask questions

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hello and welcome to the site. I think that you have to show 6 years previous experience in trade, but not 100% sure. Your best bet would be to contact an agency to start with as they will be able to offer you some advice as to wether or not you will qualify for the points to apply.
Good luck
Welcome, you will find a lot of info if you go to www.gomatilda.com we obtained our visa through them and they are excellent.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck
Probably by the time you get there you would have 6 years experience lol
sorry

Jen
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:12 pm

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you guys...Theres so much to think about...yep Jenjen by the time we do want to go he'll have 6 years and also ill of finished my degree....how much does it cost all in all from start to finish...also, do we have to have an agent or is it best advised to have one? thanks xx
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:14 pm

Also where is the best places to live
cheapest
best schooling
not too densly populated
but up and coming
not in the city

Ta agin ...you poeple will get so sick of me soon
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Also where is the best places to live
cheapest
best schooling
not too densly populated
but up and coming
not in the city

Ta agin ...you poeple will get so sick of me soon
Might be worth you googling his job/ agency websites www.google.com.au ?
Have a look see where you'll get the best balance of plenty of jobs for him but reasonable standard of living etc
Then decide where you're going to go.
We're heading Melbourne this year to the apparently up and coming Point Cook area which is 20 mins give or take outside the city. Looks a nice area but we'll find out once we start renting what the locals are like lol

Jen
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you guys
best to look at www.immi.gov.au first.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:09 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
you dont need six years experiance in your trade or any trade come to that

the six years ( seven for electrical trades ) is only required if you haven't done a recognized apprentiship / qualification
you only have to show that you have been working in your trade as a qualified person for the last two years

regards steve

start here

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oAustralia.htm

if you can see that you stand a good chance of passing the tra then move on to the visa and its requirements as per the dima link posted earlier

Last edited by steve`o; Feb 16th 2007 at 8:12 pm. Reason: added a bit more ok
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

magicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nice

know how you feel, we are just starting out too an trying to get an idea of costs is a nightmare.
do as much research as you can before you take the plunge.
so far have found agency fees quoted from 1600 to 600 quid depending on how much you do yurself.
250 ish tra fees thats to assess if your skills are valid.
800 for visa itself

this is all at current exchange rate which is moving less in the pounds favour all the time at the moment.

add to that costs for medicals police checks and costs of getting copies of paperwork ie birth certs , passports photo driving licences etc.

then moving costs and flights, could also add in a reccy vsit.

but the plus side is it seems to be taking abou a year from start to finish so youve got time to save
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:02 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite correct, Steve.

Have a look at section 8 here:
http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ia4Oct2006.pdf

Remember also that the work experience for the skills assessment process is separate to the work experience requirements for the visa application - there is a basic work experience requirement to be satisfied by all who apply for an offshore skilled visa, plus a work experience requirement to be satisfied if you are looking to claim points for Specific Work Experience.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by steve`o
you dont need six years experiance in your trade or any trade come to that

the six years ( seven for electrical trades ) is only required if you haven't done a recognized apprentiship / qualification
you only have to show that you have been working in your trade as a qualified person for the last two years

regards steve

start here

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oAustralia.htm

if you can see that you stand a good chance of passing the tra then move on to the visa and its requirements as per the dima link posted earlier
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

I also think you have too be working in you trade for two years for application. the six year thing I think only gives you 5 extra bonus points for experience in that trade, but be very carful if you come to NSW you then have to jump through a multitude of hoops to get your licence to work as a plumber. and only then you have to work for a company. after you have acquired two years australian work experience you can apply for a contractors licence allowing you to work on your own or start a company. thats assuming you have been to college or tafe as it is here and got the relevant qualifications to run a plumbing company.

Ive been here four months now and havent picked up a spanner in my trade of plumbing. even though I have had job offers the red tape is very red and very long. hey put it this way im training to be a real estate agent!!!!! yes you ned to be registered and licenced for that to. the only thing you dont need a licence here for it seems, strangely enough is you TV??

Any paperwork that you get together for the TRA, get three copies your going to need at least two sets here and maybe three! I am still in the process of getting my registration and intend to do so, even though im working in real estate. you know for a safety net type thing.

It may sound as though im having a bit of a moan im not. my family and I still love the place and have no intention on going back to the UK as yet, but I think people should know that the hard work dont stop when you get your visa.

all the very best of luck to you and I hope you follow your dream..

Cockney Rob.....
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lightr0d2o
I also think you have too be working in you trade for two years for application. the six year thing I think only gives you 5 extra bonus points for experience in that trade

<snip>

Cockney Rob.....
Not correct - please have a look at my comment above.

Best regards.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Not quite correct, Steve.

Have a look at section 8 here:
http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ia4Oct2006.pdf

Remember also that the work experience for the skills assessment process is separate to the work experience requirements for the visa application - there is a basic work experience requirement to be satisfied by all who apply for an offshore skilled visa, plus a work experience requirement to be satisfied if you are looking to claim points for Specific Work Experience.

Best regards.
alan i thought this was the benchmark

(taken from tra site )

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Pages/ContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=/workplace/Category/SchemesInitiatives/TRA/1SkillsassessmentforpeopleintendingtomigratetoAust ralia.htm&NRNODEGUID={98D6834A-A34B-4E3A-A763-F644E0924582}&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#3

Can I apply?
You need to have:

training and/or experience in an occupation assessed by TRA
skills learned on the job OR through a mixture of formal training and on the job experience
an apprenticeship, vocational traineeship OR at least 7 years of on the job experience in an electrical occupation, or 6 years in another occupation.

regards steve

added a bit more from
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...experience.htm

Recent Work Experience or Exemption
On this page

The minimum length of work experience required depends on whether your nominated occupation is a 60, 50, or 40 point occupation.

Points for your nominated occupation Minimum length of work experience
60 point occupation At least 12 out of the 18 months immediately before applying.
40 or 50 point occupations At least 2 out of the 3 years immediately before applying.

Your work experience references must:

be written on the official letterhead of the company or government department providing the reference
the letterhead should indicate clearly the full address of the company and any telephone, fax numbers, email and website addresses
the name and position of the person authorised to sign the employment reference should be typed or stamped below that person's signature – a reference with an illegible signature will not be accepted
the direct contact number of the person writing the reference should be included in the letter
the letter should indicate the exact period of employment, including whether permanent or temporary, full or part-time, position/s held, the main five (5) duties undertaken, and the salary earned – positions should not be described by generic titles (eg research officer, public servant) but according to the nature of the duties undertaken (eg research chemist, accounts clerk)
a payslip from your current employment should also be included – this is especially important for applicants working in government departments.
Other documents which may assist you in evidencing your work experience claims could include, but are not limited to:

contracts
pay slips
tax returns
group certificates

Last edited by steve`o; Feb 17th 2007 at 7:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.