Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick of Getting Ripped off In Perth

Sick of Getting Ripped off In Perth

Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Jimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant futureJimmy Choo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sick of Getting Ripped off In Perth

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Hi, how much was the family pub lunch?
The cost of the pub lunch including one drink each was $160. I appreciate what Eddie 07 says about eating more at home, but is life not more about getting out and meeting other people, like being normal?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo
The cost of the pub lunch including one drink each was $160. I appreciate what Eddie 07 says about eating more at home, but is life not more about getting out and meeting other people, like being normal?

I spent £94 on a pub lunch in Aberdeenshire last weekend. Three adults and one 11 year old. It was very nice - starter, main and dessert - but seems Perth not that different(?)
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Just about had it with this place. Everywhere you go, you have to pay through the nose for everything. Went out for a pub lunch with the family, and paid a small fortune for average food and crap service, which sums up Perth for me. No wonder the restaurants are dead as people are voting with their feet and cooking from home.

Going for breakfast is another joke - we almost paid double here for the same thing we got in Malbourne the week before.

Don't get me started on the price of alcohol. Glad I don't drink much
Join the club. We've been here 10 years now, prices for everything have gone crazy about 3 years ago. I could tolerate it if it had the buzz of a proper metropolitan city, but no, it's crap.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't find the post by me on this thread to which you are refering...consequently That Feels a bit like a cheap shot...

But anyhow... We tend to be more "local aussie" probably not refelective of australia as a a whole... But HIS work mates tend to have back yard social life..and we do the same... I meet my friends from work for dinner sometimes, but usually that'll be a work night out... But wouldnt take my family to meet another family at a restaraunt...

We have mates over for dinner/barbies and go round theirs for same.... Work mates and expats... It is getting out having a social life And it is normal for here

Unlike coffee... Usually meet up on the foreshore with mates for coffees.... Especially the aussie ones....
Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can get a roast - 2 courses - for $22 here. I'll check.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
In all seriousness this is a problem for anyone that wants to travel away from Melbourne. Feeling ripped off in Restaurants... Only place as cheap is Sydney.

I'd be interested to see if Perth is more expensive than Port Macquarie...I doubt it. Port Macquarie has the worst value meals Ive encountered in Australia thus far. I wouldnt be surprised if there places that are even bigger rip offs.

Lets put it this way.... The very passable Curry house up the road from me charges 8.50 for a main course. I've not found many places that do Indian better. 7 bucks for a Kebab which is great, we probably have more Kebab houses than any other suburb in Australia. 16 at last count plus a few vans.... Can buy full breakfast for 7.50... etc etc Only place I know off where the local Mcdonalds and Hungry Jacks franchises went broke because of the better choices around.
But go to any half decent cafe and you will be paying $14-$17 for breakfast and $3.80 for coffee, whilst the cheap and cheerful ethnic restaurants are good value they are hardly places to go for any kind of ambiance and often the food is average at best. If Melbourne is considered to be a place of cheap wining and dinning then god knows what the rest of you guys are paying.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

What people don't have an appreciation of here perhaps is to the extent Australia being a stay at home culture where going out after a certain age is a novelty and not a norm.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
What people don't have an appreciation of here perhaps is to the extent Australia being a stay at home culture where going out after a certain age is a novelty and not a norm.
I agree it does seem to be like that. Mum and Dad go to friends and take the kids with them here. Most of my friends in the UK would go out and dump their kids on babysitters.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think you can get a roast - 2 courses - for $22 here. I'll check.
Whilst this indeed may be true, most restaurants in Melbourne and surrounding suburbs charge from $22 and up for a main course, most being from mid $20 to mid $30 for a main. I probably eat out more than most, average 3 times a week and travel all over the city to try different food and new places.

I don't believe most restaurants are trying to rip customers off more than any other company trying to run a business, just that costs are very high,wages,utilities,leases,good ingredients all add up.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed choo ,expensive, average food,average service..big downside to Perth.
And to think you need a "cert 3" for everything- laughable.

Time to get the fray bentos pie on -lol
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennines49

Things are expensive I agree but to make a broad brush statement that food is crap and service is crap is difficult to take seriously. You can't possibly have tried every restaurant in Perth! You obviously live in the wrong area because i have had plenty of nice meals with excellent service.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennines49

If you want to get average food and average service, look no further than the UK. On our trip over there last year, I was distinctly underwhelmed with both - with a few exceptions. Prices were generally good though.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree it does seem to be like that. Mum and Dad go to friends and take the kids with them here. Most of my friends in the UK would go out and dump their kids on babysitters.
back in the uk we Had an extensive network of family and friends making it so much easier ...... We do tend to be more into the drag your kids along thing, mainly because of mumbles ...we cant leave Him for long Certainly not for a late night out.... Means we're always first to leave anything we DO get to as a couple....
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by papilon
But go to any half decent cafe and you will be paying $14-$17 for breakfast and $3.80 for coffee, whilst the cheap and cheerful ethnic restaurants are good value they are hardly places to go for any kind of ambiance and often the food is average at best. If Melbourne is considered to be a place of cheap wining and dinning then god knows what the rest of you guys are paying.
I would agree with this, i love going out to a place in my suburb, have a fav breakfast which is 16 bucks, orange juice (think its around 7 bucks), and coffee 3.50. (all courtesy of my meals card though!)

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 10th 2011 at 9:00 am.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, were there 10 of you ? Something that really impressed me when in the UK last year was the food, because I was there on my own I ate out all the time and was incredibly impressed with the grub especially in the pubs, cheap and very tasty. I also took friends out for meals and again was very satisfied with the food and the service. I was led to belief both would be well below what I was used to here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.