Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIA Baggage Allowance.

SIA Baggage Allowance.

Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all
Default SIA Baggage Allowance.

Just been over the travel agents to ask about the 40kg baggage allowance I've read of some folks on here getting. They didn't have a clue. As far as they are concerned I only get 20kg.

I'm planning on flying with SIA from Heathrow to Adelaide, haven't booked it yet as the house sale is taking as long to go through as it took to get the visa!!!

Has anyone got a contact number for SIA that they used to get the 40kg allowance. I've got to sort this asap as my boxes go on Thursday and if I'm only going to get 20kgs then I'll have to send the extra out with the movers.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Default Re: SIA Baggage Allowance.

Originally Posted by jobart
Just been over the travel agents to ask about the 40kg baggage allowance I've read of some folks on here getting. They didn't have a clue. As far as they are concerned I only get 20kg.

I'm planning on flying with SIA from Heathrow to Adelaide, haven't booked it yet as the house sale is taking as long to go through as it took to get the visa!!!

Has anyone got a contact number for SIA that they used to get the 40kg allowance. I've got to sort this asap as my boxes go on Thursday and if I'm only going to get 20kgs then I'll have to send the extra out with the movers.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi
best looking on singapore airlines website.I booked mine three weeks ago this way you can select your seats and meals.After booking just send email to them and they will reply saying that you can have 40kg as long as you are validating your visa for the first time.Hope this helps PS only cost me £413 per ticket and that was to Brisbane
Brad
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough

Thats really interesting to read that as i phone sia and asked how i go about getting my 40kg they told me i had to book over the phone to recieve it and this was going to be an extra £200 for 2 of us!!! so when i get my passports back i will do the same and book it online!!! thanks you just saved me a bit of money!!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for any advice.
Hi
I agree best thing to do is go on their website and go to "contact us" ask the question stipulate the Visa you have and they will reply what your entitlement is I know with w 457 Visa they waive 5kgs so you get 25kgs rather than 20kgs but if you have a premanent visa I believe it is 40kg. Whatever they reply make sur eyou print it off and take it with you to the airport as I have heard probelms at check in at least this way you have it in writing direct from them Good Luck......we haven;t started packing yet. Still can't imagine it !
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

hi
i asked for an email and they said they did not issue one but they would put on the flight notes in there computer system and they also said that the only problem i might get is when i check in at singapore as we are staying over for 3 day because they dont have the same information on visas there as they do in uk.
Iv flown with them many time and would trust them more than say BA etc
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

I emailed SIA about 2 months before we flew but never got a response, we were only had 20kg limit but actually had another 20kg over, we just smiled sweetly at the check-in desk and explained we were migrating, once she checked the visa she just smiled back and said 'have a great life'.

Lucky?..probably but we had money in the wallet jic we were charged!

TP
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all

Thanks.....

I've sent them an e-mail yesterday, see if I get a reponse now. It'll have to be before Wednesday as the pc will be in a box after that!.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Just had an e-mail from SIA which clearly states that to get the 40kg allowance you have to have an unused migrant visa that states "to remain in Australia indefinitely" which I have....

I've printed the e-mail out and going to take it to the airport just incase.

Thanks for the help.....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=jobart;4392734]Just had an e-mail from SIA which clearly states that to get the 40kg allowance you have to have an unused migrant visa that states "to remain in Australia indefinitely"
QUOTE]

Just got the same email from SIA myself what do they mean by "unused migrant visa"?

Regards
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Gethy;4403675]
Just had an e-mail from SIA which clearly states that to get the 40kg allowance you have to have an unused migrant visa that states "to remain in Australia indefinitely"
QUOTE]

Just got the same email from SIA myself what do they mean by "unused migrant visa"?

Regards
Think it means that the visa has NOT been validated
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brad
Hi
best looking on singapore airlines website.I booked mine three weeks ago this way you can select your seats and meals.After booking just send email to them and they will reply saying that you can have 40kg as long as you are validating your visa for the first time.Hope this helps PS only cost me £413 per ticket and that was to Brisbane
Brad
Brad,

Have you actually slected your seats and meals online ? I can't seem to do it, despite booking the tickets last October (we're flying on April 2nd). It seems to me that you can only do it as part of the e-check in which you can only do 48 hours nefore flying ?

Am I doing it wrong ?

Andy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=curly;4403808]
Originally Posted by Gethy
Think it means that the visa has NOT been validated

That's my understanding of it too.....

Last edited by jobart; Feb 14th 2007 at 2:59 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Go via the USA and get 46 - 64kg no matter what visa you are on. Fly with United or Air New Zealand or Qantas/BA.

If its luggage allowance you are worried about this is the way to do it.

Buzzy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

hi
we are flying on the 2nd april with sia from manchester but stopping in singapore for 3 days we managed to book seats on plane on line a few weeks ago and they have put a note on there computer system about baggage.
I think you can only book seats we you go through the airline but might be wrong.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:20 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

We have booked with SIA.

Were told that as we had already validated, we were only allowed 20KG.

40 KG is the allowance for the FIRST visit, ie: using an 'unstamped' visa (crap I know!)

We managed to persuade them to up our allowance to 30KG's and have emails stipulating this for check in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.