Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shut up and put up.

Shut up and put up.

Old May 26th 2005, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shut up and put up.

Sorry couldnt think what to name the thread. Looks like that could be the case for most workers if this new law gets in

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Last edited by jad n rich; May 26th 2005 at 1:07 am.
Old May 26th 2005, 1:25 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Shut up and put up.

Sounds like employers can bend you over then in Aus, and not even use protection.
Old May 26th 2005, 8:52 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Proves Sir Joh wasn't Maggie Thatcher's only love-child. :scared:

Last edited by The Bloke; May 26th 2005 at 8:54 pm.
Old May 26th 2005, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sorry couldnt think what to name the thread. Looks like that could be the case for most workers if this new law gets in

Have to laugh at this one! Australian work practises are dickensian by European standards. How I love to read the Pom dreamers rant on about spending more time with the familly once in Oz.

Welcome to low wages, long hours and bugger all employment rights or job stabilty.

Welcome to living the dream.
Old May 26th 2005, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Have to laugh at this one! Australian work practises are dickensian by European standards. How I love to read the Pom dreamers rant on about spending more time with the familly once in Oz.

Welcome to low wages, long hours and bugger all employment rights or job stabilty.

Welcome to living the dream.

The news was full of it last night, the opposition claims 90% of employers will now be able to treat people however they like in the workforce. Add that to the casual labour problem and lack of maternity rights and I think you have a fair point.
Old May 26th 2005, 10:20 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The news was full of it last night, the opposition claims 90% of employers will now be able to treat people however they like in the workforce. Add that to the casual labour problem and lack of maternity rights and I think you have a fair point.
The only protection workers have is a high demand for their labour. Stronger protection of those in work makes it harder for the unemployed to become employed. Maternity is a choice made by individuals not employers. Any support should come from the state not employers.
Old May 26th 2005, 10:47 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

I dont about the history of employment law in Oz but the way it reads to me is that Howard is looking to curb the powers of the unions......shades of Thatch.....oooh lovely woman...Grrrrrrr

Must admit there is most definitely a place to unions as we have a grat deal to thank them for (thinking f the UK when I say that), but they can be run by those who have more power than is acceptable.

G
Old May 27th 2005, 1:10 am
ABCDiamond

Howard is just after the extra tax it will bring in.

He knows that employers will be more likely to employ more people, if they have the ability to get rid of the ones that don't perform.

And the end result of that may be more businessess expanding, making more profits, and paying more wages, (to more employees), and therefore increasing the total amount of tax receipts to the country.

Some of these "Unfair Dismissal" laws do need changing.

There have been cases of employees being dismissed for stealing, and the employee sued for compensation, and WON, just because the employer did not follow the laid down rules for terminating the employee.

Old May 27th 2005, 1:49 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There have been cases of employees being dismissed for stealing, and the employee sued for compensation, and WON, just because the employer did not follow the laid down rules for terminating the employee.
My mrs had to sack her payroll admin. a while ago, as she'd seen fit to award herself a 30% payrise. According to the legal advice they took, this did not qualify as gross misconduct, despite the employee in question defending her actions by saying 'I do more than X therefore I decided to pay myself more than X'. They were forced to make her an attractive redundancy offer to get rid of the problem. I for one welcome the new ruling, why the hell should small businesses carry useless employees?
Old May 27th 2005, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 4lex
My mrs had to sack her payroll admin. a while ago, as she'd seen fit to award herself a 30% payrise. According to the legal advice they took, this did not qualify as gross misconduct, despite the employee in question defending her actions by saying 'I do more than X therefore I decided to pay myself more than X'. They were forced to make her an attractive redundancy offer to get rid of the problem. I for one welcome the new ruling, why the hell should small businesses carry useless employees?
Majority of small business already their staff casually, can get rid of them in a flick, just dont employ them next week.

The rules now apply to companies up to 100 employees not just small ones.

Some reservations too, on why should employers be allowed to negotiate out casual loading, superannuation, shift loading etc, I think it will lead to lots of low paid jobs and even worse pay for casual workers who make up at least 30% of the workforce.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:12 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Majority of small business already their staff casually, can get rid of them in a flick, just dont employ them next week.

The rules now apply to companies up to 100 employees not just small ones.

Some reservations too, on why should employers be allowed to negotiate out casual loading, superannuation, shift loading etc, I think it will lead to lots of low paid jobs and even worse pay for casual workers who make up at least 30% of the workforce.
Let 'em start businesses then - and employ all that cheaper than dust labour.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:53 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Megalania
What he said.
Old May 27th 2005, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Megalania
Ok any takers, brickies, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, concretors, tilers, $12 an hour, no hols, no super, no sick pay, hours at our discretion if and when we want you.

Apply by PM, genuine opportunities for right people who have all licences and liabilities, truck, tools and equipment.

Old May 27th 2005, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok any takers, brickies, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, concretors, tilers, $12 an hour, no hols, no super, no sick pay, hours at our discretion if and when we want you.

Apply by PM, genuine opportunities for right people who have all licences and liabilities, truck, tools and equipment.

You know you haven't a hope!!! Subbies can take it or leave it and you know you wont have any takers. I do sympathise with the employers who can get rid of useless employees and those who cheat & steal. You can tell a useless subbie to take a hike or refuse payment until the job is completed to your satisfaction.
Old May 27th 2005, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gibbo
You know you haven't a hope!!! Subbies can take it or leave it and you know you wont have any takers. I do sympathise with the employers who can get rid of useless employees and those who cheat & steal. You can tell a useless subbie to take a hike or refuse payment until the job is completed to your satisfaction.

We are getting a lot of subbies now from NSW and Vic looking for work, havent seen that last couple of years, but get this, a lot of immigrant workers without the quals and licences offering to work for about half the locals rate or (free for the experience), wont touch them would be a legal and insurance nightmare wonder how many would tho? My $12 might be too generous come to think of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.