Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shoulder surgery and work

shoulder surgery and work

Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice
Default shoulder surgery and work

Hi everyone I had surgery on my shoulder in june and now my boss wants me to go back to work even though there is not much I can do at the moment, I am a driver/removalist which is a lot of lifting and carrying,

I have been told by my physio that at the moment I cant even sweep our warehouse floor because of the pressure on the shoulder,

I drive a semi trailer and been told no for at least a month if not more and I work for a small company that employs 10 people at most and there is no sort of office work for me that I know as I would have gone back after 6 weeks.

my boss says he wants me back as is insurance premiums are going through the roof and it is cheaper to have me back doing nothing than me at home !!!!!!

just wondered if any of you with your inventive minds have any ideas as the days are going to be very long indeed, thanks Paul
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shoulder surgery and work

Originally Posted by rangersman2
Hi everyone I had surgery on my shoulder in june and now my boss wants me to go back to work even though there is not much I can do at the moment, I am a driver/removalist which is a lot of lifting and carrying,

I have been told by my physio that at the moment I cant even sweep our warehouse floor because of the pressure on the shoulder,

I drive a semi trailer and been told no for at least a month if not more and I work for a small company that employs 10 people at most and there is no sort of office work for me that I know as I would have gone back after 6 weeks.

my boss says he wants me back as is insurance premiums are going through the roof and it is cheaper to have me back doing nothing than me at home !!!!!!

just wondered if any of you with your inventive minds have any ideas as the days are going to be very long indeed, thanks Paul
My sympathies for you - speaking as the wife of a semi driver who was off work with his dislocated shoulder!!!

You could become a keen reader or teach yourself about designing web pages or failing that buy and sell on ebay
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

What does your doctor say?

At the end of the day it should be your doctor who makes the decisions......... not your boss.

To go back to work earlier could cause long term damage to the injuries you have sustained already?

If it was a work related injury down under; there is a contingency plan in force whereby you are allocated a certain amount of money to cover costs for undergoing further training in maybe a different field...... if light duties are not an option in your existing workplace?

Good luck.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:01 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bobcat
What does your doctor say?

At the end of the day it should be your doctor who makes the decisions......... not your boss.

To go back to work earlier could cause long term damage to the injuries you have sustained already?

If it was a work related injury down under; there is a contingency plan in force whereby you are allocated a certain amount of money to cover costs for undergoing further training in maybe a different field...... if light duties are not an option in your existing workplace?

Good luck.
Could not agree more, the first thing your boss is going to say if you go back early and injure yourself again is, you should not have come back to work until you were recovered.

Listen to the Doctor. Ask what light duties you are allowed to perform and at what stage.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

Thank you for your responses, I really don't think that there is anything at work for me to do, as i am certainly no good in a office,so i will just have to make the tea. Paul.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

I had 8 months off work with a shoulder injury last year, if I did too much the physio could tell and I was told if I didn't stop I could be in pain for up to 2 years, listen to the experts.

Good luck
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:08 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your responses, I really don't think that there is anything at work for me to do, as i am certainly no good in a office,so i will just have to make the tea. Paul.
how about studying for a qualification? helps your boss and you and keeps you out of mischief