Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should we try another part of Australia?

should we try another part of Australia?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we try another part of Australia?

Originally Posted by tam1970
I have been here since the end of December with my Wife who is Australian and our wee boy.

I see you got here last month what do you think of it so far and who are you over with?
Im over with my kiwi wife. Well impressed so far, I had lived in Oz before but not Brisbane.

All weve done so far is go to the valley or southbank so we havent even scratched the surface.

Heading to surfers this weekend which im looking forward to. I think the plan longer term is to be near the coast and commute into Brissy.

The wife was up the sunshine coast at the weekend and it looked amazing, it would be my dream to live near the sea.

As much as I love the old Clyde the waterfront in Brisbane is the best ive ever seen I reckon.

Whereabouts in Govan are you from? We moved from Ibrox.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

tam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissybound
Im over with my kiwi wife. Well impressed so far, I had lived in Oz before but not Brisbane.

All weve done so far is go to the valley or southbank so we havent even scratched the surface.

Heading to surfers this weekend which im looking forward to. I think the plan longer term is to be near the coast and commute into Brissy.

The wife was up the sunshine coast at the weekend and it looked amazing, it would be my dream to live near the sea.

As much as I love the old Clyde the waterfront in Brisbane is the best ive ever seen I reckon.

Whereabouts in Govan are you from? We moved from Ibrox.
I lived in Teucherhill until mid teens then we moved to Drumoyne till my late 20s, my Ma and sister with her children are still in Drumoyne.

One of my mates used to stay in Ibrox his surname is Madden does the name ring a bell?

If you are ever up this way give me a shout and we can meet up for a beer if you are interested?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Teucherhill until mid teens then we moved to Drumoyne till my late 20s, my Ma and sister with her children are still in Drumoyne.

One of my mates used to stay in Ibrox his surname is Madden does the name ring a bell?

If you are ever up this way give me a shout and we can meet up for a beer if you are interested?

No way "Chookie", the Young Kimble!!! Ha ha! Man do I remember them. I grew up in Pollok so dont really know many folk from Ibrox.

You must remember the McArthurs, Ian and Duncan from Teucherhill? Total nutjobs they used to chase me up and down Paisley Road when I was a teenager. Or the McGraths? davie and Paul. Used to be quite pally with david when I was younger but dont see them anymore.

What about harry harris do you remember him from Drumoyne?

Whereabouts are you tam? I would love to live up the coast but need to work in the city being in IT which i hate with a vengeance. Likewise if your down in Brissy give us a shout!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the derbys
Hi we have been in Perth for 9 weeks now and even though I am settled my hubby is not.
We come over here ona 457 visa ,my hubby is a plasterer but is finding working for his boss very hard and reaaly wants to go back to the UK.
His boss is really messing him about he has to get up at 5.30am to get to work for 7am and he is not getting home till after 4.30, we came over here for a more laid back lifestlye but at the moment all my hubby is doing is working.
Is this the norm for all others places in Oz, we have two girls aged 12 and 17 and want to spend more time as a family.
We also came here for the laid back life style but will have to work a few more years here before we hopefully get it, I am a wall & Floor Tiler my day is up at 5.15 out the door at 6. 45km trip to work start at 7 finish at 5, 3.30 on fridays, usually get home about 6.30, 7-12 0n saturdays. We knew it would be hard to start with but it's not getting any easier. I now have plenty of private jobs coming in but not enough hours in the day to do them and have to turn work down ( Which I hate doing) Stick at it make your name and i'm sure your husband will get noticed. But please make sure your husband mixes in at the bbq's and any social events you get invited to, I have found out it's not what you know or what you do, its definatley "who you know".
It won't be long before he finds a new employer but still be prepared for long days, make the most of it as who knows when the work will dry up.
Good Luck

John
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

the derbys will become famous soon enoughthe derbys will become famous soon enough

My hubby is really shy so we havent been invited to any bbqs or anything like that he finds it hard to talk to people unless he has had a drink.
We are in Somerly not far from you so if you have any work contacts for plasterers give us a shout please
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

My hubby is really shy so we havent been invited to any bbqs or anything like that he finds it hard to talk to people unless he has had a drink.
We are in Somerly not far from you so if you have any work contacts for plasterers give us a shout please
You will have to make him go to social gatherings, otherwise being homesick and lonely will get worse.
I think alot of us come here thinking it will be easier workwise, but we have also found that you have to work longer hours, it's tough.
9 weeks definately isn't very long to up stakes again. Try abit longer, or have a little hol over East before you decide.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Does he have a long commute that he's up so early to get to work by 7am?
Like the others I'd say those hours aren't too bad, especially when you work closer to home.

This week my husband is building - leaves home at 6.30am and gets home around 7pm or later with a 3/4 hour drive at each end of the day. A standard 4.30pm finish sounds amazing. If he finds another job allowing him to start later he'll probably be home later and in summer that won't be fun.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confuzzled

Sorry to say but 7- 4 is the usual day for the building trade.
Yep, certainly is..... by all means in time find another sponsor BUT not sure what you're looking for???
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

i am really shy too but at the end of the day you have to put it to one side and just get on with it... no-one is going to knock on the door and ask "do you want some friends?", you have to go out and do it. if you've not been invited why not have a bbq at your place and invite his work people, your neighbours etc.?

FWIW i do think it's harder for blokes as us women naturally tend to chat once we get together and organise meets whereas the blokes never seem to get themselves organised.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

I now do a 40 hour week as opposed to a 37 hour week for less money than I did back home.

I work 7 till 3 or 8 till 4 and dont take a lunch break, albeight Im in IT.

But when I look out the window at 2.45 on a Friday and see the blue skies and know ive got a couple of days to enjoy my new surroundings and wont be shuffling my way down the Paisley Road West to some crappy pub in Govan, its makes it all worthwhile for me anyway.
GAWD Paisley Road West, that along with Greenock, Sighthill and Nottingham makes anyone wanna move to t'other side of world.... I SO get that one!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I just wanted to echo what others have said, my Dh is also shy and when we arrived in ME he just put out an email to some nice colleagues (ended up being about 30!!!) which I helped compose , short friendly, saying he was new and fancied getting to know some people, and if anyone not tied up did they fancy a BBQ BYOB on the weekend)...kinda snowballed from there cos after a drink or two everyone took turns to have a BBQ....might be an option?

I also had no mates and a newborn and am fairly shy...(not anymore!) and thought to myself, ok I can't join any clubs (running or sports cos I have a sprog), I know noone and it either stays like this or I do something.. so I did the most cringeable thing and made a poster on WORD ...something along the lines of 'Are you a mum who wants to get out and meet people, have a coffee and maybe make some friends?...Come for an informal and disorganised coffee at Starbucks Wed 10 am'..I stuck them anywhere I knew mums would be and went on a million forums looking for meetups....lots of people turned up and even though I felt like a right desperado those friends are still friends 3 years on and it was fun....

I think coming from the Uk originally people are not so open to that kind of thing and even contemplating sending a mail or putting up posters makes you seem a bit sus, elsewhere it's def worth a try...

Really hope it all works out for you both it's not easy in a new country with a crud boss....;(
Plantpot xx
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:23 am
Just Joined

No way "Chookie", the Young Kimble!!! Ha ha! Man do I remember them. I grew up in Pollok so dont really know many folk from Ibrox.

You must remember the McArthurs, Ian and Duncan from Teucherhill? Total nutjobs they used to chase me up and down Paisley Road when I was a teenager. Or the McGraths? davie and Paul. Used to be quite pally with david when I was younger but dont see them anymore.

What about harry harris do you remember him from Drumoyne?

Whereabouts are you tam? I would love to live up the coast but need to work in the city being in IT which i hate with a vengeance. Likewise if your down in Brissy give us a shout!
I know Paul I was in the same year of secondary as him have not seen him in a long time though.
I spoke to Ian when he was in the Rig but him and Duncie got barred a couple of years ago and have not seem them since.

Harry Harris name rings a bell but do know him

I'm staying at Sippy Downs not far from Buderim.

I knew a couple of people from Pollok Dessie Fox & Katrina Dunn I used to work with them years ago.
Paul Gibb I used to work with him and we used to play 5's in the Paisley League, do you know any of them?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

I know Paul I was in the same year of secondary as him have not seen him in a long time though.
I spoke to Ian when he was in the Rig but him and Duncie got barred a couple of years ago and have not seem them since.

Harry Harris name rings a bell but do know him

I'm staying at Sippy Downs not far from Buderim.

I knew a couple of people from Pollok Dessie Fox & Katrina Dunn I used to work with them years ago.
Paul Gibb I used to work with him and we used to play 5's in the Paisley League, do you know any of them?
Allright Tam

Im not surprised there banned from the Rig lol!

Im afraid I dont know anyone youve mentioned. What is it you do up in Buderim? Id love to get up the coast but cant because of work.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Allright Tam

Im not surprised there banned from the Rig lol!

Im afraid I dont know anyone youve mentioned. What is it you do up in Buderim? Id love to get up the coast but cant because of work.
Hi Brissybound,

I am Plant Operator in a asphalt plant, I am up at 5am and start at 6am and I finish anytime between 3pm - 6.30pm just depends on how late someone wants asphalt. I enjoy though and the money is good.

Where did you work in Glasgow and how long ago did you leave?