Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should we try another part of Australia?

should we try another part of Australia?

Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

the derbys will become famous soon enoughthe derbys will become famous soon enough
Default should we try another part of Australia?

Hi we have been in Perth for 9 weeks now and even though I am settled my hubby is not.
We come over here ona 457 visa ,my hubby is a plasterer but is finding working for his boss very hard and reaaly wants to go back to the UK.
His boss is really messing him about he has to get up at 5.30am to get to work for 7am and he is not getting home till after 4.30, we came over here for a more laid back lifestlye but at the moment all my hubby is doing is working.
Is this the norm for all others places in Oz, we have two girls aged 12 and 17 and want to spend more time as a family.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:49 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we try another part of Australia?

Originally Posted by the derbys
Hi we have been in Perth for 9 weeks now and even though I am settled my hubby is not.
We come over here ona 457 visa ,my hubby is a plasterer but is finding working for his boss very hard and reaaly wants to go back to the UK.
His boss is really messing him about he has to get up at 5.30am to get to work for 7am and he is not getting home till after 4.30, we came over here for a more laid back lifestlye but at the moment all my hubby is doing is working.
Is this the norm for all others places in Oz, we have two girls aged 12 and 17 and want to spend more time as a family.

Give it some more time. It would have been highly unlikely for you to have landed on your feet, jam side up in your first months of emigration. Stay where you are and in time look for different employment.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:52 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound like the area is the problem, but his new employer.

Frankly it sounds like he's taking the p!ss because you're over on a 457, he's aware that you have to be employed by him to stay....

Find another sponsor in the same area, it's a lot less hassle than moving house and state again. If he can get another employer to take on his sponsorship he'll be laughing. Not all employers are total arseholes, so actually appreciate that you are providing a skill that they really need.

Just my opinion. If you like Perth as a place then I'd look closer to home for another sponsor.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by the derbys
My ex is in the building trade in WA and that kinda day is normal for him (and he owns/ runs the business).

Sorry to say but 7- 4 is the usual day for the building trade.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:35 am
Stuart and Carolann

stu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant future

Try the Gold Coast. Plenty of building work going on.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confuzzled

Sorry to say but 7- 4 is the usual day for the building trade.
Second that.

7-4 is your average day.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:58 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Having worked in Aus myself 7.30 - 5.30 (nine day fortnight) and daughter now doing long hours 8 - 6.30 with a 1.45 journey each way, i would say it's normal.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

jonnywonny is an unknown quantity at this point

hi you need to just get on with things i came from uk, i was at the top of my trade able to chose my work & what days i worked 24hr on a plane & i was doing long hours going for the dinners & sweeping the floor 1year on i let them know when i will come in & what i will be payed. I normally do 4 days a week work then go surfing or hang out with my kids at pool i think you have 28days to get new sponser before you have to return to uk. Its a bit crap in winter so just stick it out & give it a go jonny
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

I now do a 40 hour week as opposed to a 37 hour week for less money than I did back home.

I work 7 till 3 or 8 till 4 and dont take a lunch break, albeight Im in IT.

But when I look out the window at 2.45 on a Friday and see the blue skies and know ive got a couple of days to enjoy my new surroundings and wont be shuffling my way down the Paisley Road West to some crappy pub in Govan, its makes it all worthwhile for me anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:13 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

If hes back by about 4.30pm, then he's pretty lucky. Make the most of it. Most people I know ( in varied professions ) are lucky to be back by 6.30pm.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

I work in product management and leave the house at 7am, get home around 5:30 - 6:00

That is more hours than i did in the UK, but i'm not complaining. Lifestyle and what i actually do at work are much better.

Look at everything else you get to do here, and please dont say you expected to work only 6 hours a day ?

Stu
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Pretty standard in Brisbane

We are on 457 and company paid all expenses to get here. Hubby promised big things in his new job, only to find when he got there, the work was non existent. On top of that long hours, few holidays and those you do get are pretty set when you can take them.

Hubby works in Engineering consultancy.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:22 am
Just Joined

tam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissybound
I now do a 40 hour week as opposed to a 37 hour week for less money than I did back home.

I work 7 till 3 or 8 till 4 and dont take a lunch break, albeight Im in IT.

But when I look out the window at 2.45 on a Friday and see the blue skies and know ive got a couple of days to enjoy my new surroundings and wont be shuffling my way down the Paisley Road West to some crappy pub in Govan, its makes it all worthwhile for me anyway.
Hi Brissybound,

I was just reading the post and what crappy pub in govan did you used to drink in? As I used to drink in The Square Rig if you know that one?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tam1970
Hi Brissybound,

I was just reading the post and what crappy pub in govan did you used to drink in? As I used to drink in The Square Rig if you know that one?
My local was The Kensington or the Rolls Royce club.

I know the square Rig as well.

How long you been in Oz?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:36 am
Just Joined

tam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissybound
My local was The Kensington or the Rolls Royce club.

I know the square Rig as well.

How long you been in Oz?
I have been here since the end of December with my Wife who is Australian and our wee boy.

I see you got here last month what do you think of it so far and who are you over with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.