Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we still consider moving to Perth?

How come 130k is based on exchange rate? its the offer the OP received. He didnt convert his UK salary to aud.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laven
How come 130k is based on exchange rate? its the offer the OP received. He didnt convert his UK salary to aud.
True sorry, my brain just got fuzzled reading all the arguments.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ph-UK-Au
Hi, I am a newbie here. We are a family of 4, (kids 9yo,6yo, me a stay at home mum, and hubby. He's a Sr. Management Consultant earning £81,000K + benefits (co. car, phone, flexben etc) in London and is being offered a job under visa subclass457 to WA. He is being offered AUD130K + 9% LAFHA- that's it. They will shoulder the airfare, shipping, and the first 4 weeks of car rental and accommodation but other than that no other regular perks. Doing the maths we find it as a paycut. But we are not so sure on how to really look at it- as there's some differences between the cost of living here and WA(somehow heard there's no diff, but not too sure), the tax deduction would be 3% lower in there compared to here, right? But before we either bite the bullet or dismiss it completely, we would really like to know if such an offer would be liveable in there. If we do move we see it as no turning back, as that would mean he would have a gap in his UK experience which wouldn't make it a good bargaining point.

We hinted that we prefer an ENS visa but as I've been reading about it, companies and the applicant have to pass through a convoluted process and most companies really sponsor via 457 since it's the quickest way to go. We have already been asked when is the earliest time we could come over and cautiously said if this pushes through it would be around end July when the kids' school year is completed. I've called up AU Medicare and they say as there is reciprocity agreement we will have limited access to benefits (but no free meds to the kids- just the basic scheme that they offer). I've called up the department of educ of WA and he says kids need not pay international fees just the regular miscellaneous fees (books, uniform, etc).

Please, we want to know if the £130K is enough for us to have a good comfortable life (while renting for awhile, since we don't want to sell property in UK- everyone knows it's not the best of times to sell) with some possible savings still? We don't really know what other benefits AU offers nor fees we have to pay as a non-PR, can someone please advise us on that? How will the superannuation affect the gross income?

Thanks. This forum is of big help and giving us a crush course on Migration to AU101.
Cheers,
Ph-UK-Au

Keep in mind there would be a lot of scope for him to move up from that salary if the company likes him. He could also look around for better offers once you get citizenship if you decide on that. Its going to be boomville in WA for quite some time and good high-level workers will get rewards. IF you really want to move then a temporary drop in salary might be the cost.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
True sorry, my brain just got fuzzled reading all the arguments.
Ah.. I couldnt understand why you were talkign about exchange rate all the time, i see now.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:03 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ph-UK-Au
As mentioned in the original post, going back is not something we could consider. One of his edge when recruited to AU is having much UK and ASEAN experience. UK consulting companies would always prefer a candidate with an UK experience than one who practiced it 2-4 years ago. So we really are weighing things out carefully. The AU offer is there, the UK job we still have but before we let go of one we have to have a good view of what we would let go.
hmmm, moving from GBP81k to AUD130k in perth, is a big mistake, in my opinion.

However clearly you have a plan, and you are hinting that you can improve on that income in coming months, so it might not be a problem. Good luck to you !
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:10 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

London is half the price of Perth anyone who thinks differently is a clown.

What the OP has suggested is crazy. The only reason many people come here is the weather and a sense feeling like their life is somewhat successful since they are now recieveing high wages compared to the UK.

What the OP wants to do is stupidity of the highest order.

There is no good restuarants, nightlife is shite, It gets bloody boring here, I doubt the kids are better off compared to the UK, You'll probably move to an area that many of your collegues in Perth are established and well beneath their buying power.

People will tell you differently but in a professional environment money and status are very important here.

Based on what the OP has said their is no reason to come here Unless you want to help the Australian Government make more money.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:20 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie

To be frank, I would agree with Weebie's sentiments. If I was earning GBP81k in the UK, I'd want to earn at the very least $180k here in Aus.

I think that the OP should revisit the title of this thread. sorry.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:43 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

130k is a lot of money to many people on this forum but in reality in this country it isn't what I would call a very impressive salary it's decent.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What?

I can't even make sense of what you are saying. I have just compared two houses I am living in. What exactly is your point?

£80k does not equal $130k.
Northern Beaches even the good areas don't compare to Perth prices you need to get that in your head it's just a shitload more expensive over here and Perthites go to Sydney for weekends on the piss and treat the place like it's fricking Thailand.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
An annual take-home pay of $111,148.48 means a monthly net pay of $9,262.37 or a fortnighly pay of $4,274.94 - stressing that these are the after tax amounts! This will alow a very comfortable style of living in Perth for two adults and two children.

I live in Perth as well (coming from Reading). For us it's a great place to live. I lovethe sunny warm weather .
If this family can't survive on that kind of income then there is something seriously wrong with them. Millions Australian families with three or more kids live on way, way less than that and would love the perks they are getting.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 29th 2011 at 9:13 am. Reason: fixing quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

People will tell you differently but in a professional environment money and status are very important here.
Splat! That's a custard pie in your face because I'm a clown! London is NOT half the price of Perth - it's cheaper in a lot of regards, but not half the price.

What if you are not in a 'professional environment' - does money matter then?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Ph-UK-Au is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, first of, from the original post, I have anticipated reactions on the difference of the two salaries in 2 different cities(others would see it as a legitimate consideration others as bonkers). I would just say that I believe that any individual/family in our position would be wise enough to scrutinise the possibilities of the offer and opportunity. It would be "stupidity" in whatever level to dismiss such an offer simply because you can't understand how the 2 compares. I am reading all discussions and I accept all the different opinions. Thank you.

Aspirilla, you are right IF ever we do move to Perth we do intend to make the situation much better. The package I mentioned is the basic source of income (we are not factoring in the bonus-w/c can bring the whole thing to AUD184K, for it may or may not come, my big chance to get income as well as I have my own skills and allowed to work, the rentals we will get from our home in UK)- so indeed we are in a good position to explore the possibilities and consider the move, specially since I have learnt from here that families happily survive on such income (or even somehow below it). You are right, everyone would have wanted to earn at least AUD180K-we are no exception but the AU gov't requires that an employer can only offer a basic salary that they can also offer the locals.

From this forum, I am able to pick up pointers on what to consider as part of our COL computation and to ensure that at the end of the day, IF we do take on this life changing decision, we would still have savings.

As always, I thank and value the exchanges here.

Best regards,
Ph-UK-Au
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kips

If this family can't survive on that kind of income then there is something seriously wrong with them. Millions Australian families with three or more kids live on way, way less than that and would love the perks they are getting.
Not if you want a nice house and don't want to live in the outer suburbs which affects your way of life in Perth

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 29th 2011 at 9:14 am. Reason: fixing quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

What the OP has suggested is crazy. The only reason many people come here is the weather and a sense feeling like their life is somewhat successful since they are now recieveing high wages compared to the UK.

There is no good restuarants, nightlife is shite, It gets bloody boring here, I doubt the kids are better off compared to the UK, You'll probably move to an area that many of your collegues in Perth are established and well beneath their buying power.

Based on what the OP has said their is no reason to come here Unless you want to help the Australian Government make more money.
Having returned from several months living in Central London last year,can vouch just how expensive Perth is. Wouldn't say half the price though,although some things clearly are.

For example would take an English breakfast on a Sunday,so plentiful that it would be ample to sustain one for the entire day,in W2 for a low GBP 4.50,similar thing here in Perth would be close to $20 in the city.
Same thing for fruit and veg so cheap at the markets indeed often half price,compared to Perth.

So true enough London proved reasonable to cheapish with the high dollar,with far more choice available to top it of.

Some great deals in clothing and shoes,even in the newish,large Westfield development in Shepherds Bush,picked up some great bargins.

One thing though which i find still expensive is a decent place to rent within the Central Line and/or second zone.
Looking around at what was available to purchase did not discover any real bargains as foreigners were flooding the market,heard as high as 70% of all sales were to overseas folk.
Do get the feeling though that Perth as way over shot the mark where in most cases value could be found. Most of us do not work in the mining or gas industry and a lot have gone backwards with such inflated costs.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
[QUOTE
An annual take-home pay of $111,148.48 means a monthly net pay of $9,262.37 or a fortnighly pay of $4,274.94 - stressing that these are the after tax amounts! This will alow a very comfortable style of living in Perth for two adults and two children.

I live in Perth as well (coming from Reading). For us it's a great place to live. I lovethe sunny warm weather .
If this family can't survive on that kind of income then there is something seriously wrong with them. Millions Australian families with three or more kids live on way, way less than that and would love the perks they are getting.[/QUOTE]

Its nothing to do with if you can survive on the amount. It is to do with will you be able to buy the things they can in the UK on GBP81k as you can on $130K. It could be any too amounts. As i have mentioned, i earn about that and dont have Children but our lifestyle is not as good from a material point of view as it would be in the UK. It doesnt mean that i am complaining i cant afford to live. I am saying i dont get as much as i would on 80k sterling. The amount could be in the millions or the tens of thousands. The answers would be the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.