Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Originally Posted by babybella
Hi,
Sorry it was about diabetes care for my son. Free meds for him in Uk not sure about Aus.
Been up since 3.45 am can't sleep, stressed about the move
Thanks
Kaz
Don,t think its free but it will be subsidized

National Diabetes Services Scheme

http://www.ndss.com.au/

Pricing / all Australia the same.
http://www.ndss.com.au/Documents/NDS...SOrderForm.pdf

Last edited by mulben; Mar 26th 2011 at 6:52 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think we know that Sydney is more expensive than Perth. I didn't think that was what we were discussing here. I thought we were discussing whether £80k is equivalent to $130k. And as you seem to be saying that it is, based I assume on current exchange rates, then yes, you are an economic retard.
We were not discussind Sydney, thats correct, thats exactly the point why bringing up Sydney prices (that are 36% higher than Perth as far as I remember) is just irrelevant talking about Perth. Finally you got it, didnt take long at all.

We were discussing if 81k pounds in UK equals to 180k aud in Australia. That what I thought was just false and gives the OP a wrong idea.

We have to compare income after tax against expenses to assess the offer.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laven
We were not discussind Sydney, thats correct, thats exactly the point why bringing up Sydney prices (that are 36% higher than Perth as far as I remember) is just irrelevant talking about Perth. Finally you got it, didnt take long at all.

We were discussing if 81k pounds in UK equals to 180k aud in Australia. That what I thought was just false and gives the OP a wrong idea.

The discussion was about whether £80k equals $130k in fact. How many times....

"That what I thought was just false" What? What does that mean? Did you go to school?

And no it is not just about after tax. Not to somebody who might be career oreintated. This is a huge step down on the career ladder and it has other implications.

Oh god I don't know why I am wasting my time.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi laven,

Using the current exchange rate to compare salaries is not mathematically sound. Just because the pound drops dramatically does not change what your australian salary will buy you in Australia. For example buying that car you want will still take the same number of weeks of salary regardless of the exchange rate.

A more accurate way is to use the average salary between the two countries. Someone on the forum worked out a while ago that the Australian average salary is approx 2.2 times the uk salary. So if you earn 81,000 pounds you need to be earning 81,000 x 2.2 = 178,000 to be on a equivalent salary in Australia. This is not saying Perth is a third dearer than London. It is just working it out using the proper conversion rate for cost of living, the one that takes average salary into account.

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 26th 2011 at 7:20 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The discussion was about whether £80k equals $130k in fact. How many times....
No, again [sigh], it's pointless to compare gross salaries. You need to look at the net figure, especially because the OP will get LAFHA and full spouse tax offset.

If you insist on comparing gross salaries:
A 457 visa holder getting LAFHA and with spouse and two children earning $130k gross is the same as a permanent resident earning gross $164k.

You really want to insist that $164k is not enough to live on? Or that it does not compare to GBP81k???
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
No, again [sigh], it's pointless to compare gross salaries. You need to look at the net figure, especially because the OP will get LAFHA and full spouse tax offset.

If you insist on comparing gross salaries:
A 457 visa holder getting LAFHA and with spouse and two children earning $130k gross is the same as a permanent resident earning gross $164k.

You really want to insist that $164k is not enough to live on? Or that it does not compare to GBP81k???
Well there you go OP. Pack your job in, travel half way round the world, go on a temp visa that means you have 28 days to get out of the country if the jobs goes and you should have a similar standard of living to the one you already have. Your call.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's because it is bonkers

Moving to a lesser paid job on a temporary visa to a place that you may not even like is bonkers in any language

Look at the reality....don't get carried away with the sunshine/beach/'relaxed lifestyle' illusion......it may look nice from a distance but the realities of everyday life may bring you down to earth with an almighty bump

You just can't help some people see the wood for the trees, we came here hoping for the full of land of plenty, so far it's vastly empty. We threw the dice and placed our bets, so far it's evens
$50 gets you not a lot today
£50 gets you more i bet, even in London town.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Don,t think its free but it will be subsidized

National Diabetes Services Scheme

http://www.ndss.com.au/

Pricing / all Australia the same.
http://www.ndss.com.au/Documents/NDS...SOrderForm.pdf
Thank you for your reply. Will look up the web site. Still very tired went back to bed at 6.30am and got woken up 15 mins later by middle son coming back saying his friends couch was not comfortable and wanted his bed. So did I!!
How is it that when your 21 you can stay up all night!
Thanks again, as someone else suggested will try to start a new thread and see if anyone living in NSW can give an insite as to how diabetic care works there. He is 16 and a very unstable diabetic as I guess most teanagers are.
Kaz
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fish.01
Hi laven,

Using the current exchange rate to compare salaries is not mathematically sound. Just because the pound drops dramatically does not change what your australian salary will buy you in Australia. For example buying that car you want will still take the same number of weeks of salary regardless of the exchange rate.

A more accurate way is to use the average salary between the two countries. Someone on the forum worked out a while ago that the Australian average salary is approx 2.2 times the uk salary. So if you earn 81,000 pounds you need to be earning 81,000 x 2.2 = 178,000 to be on a equivalent salary in Australia. This is not saying Perth is a third dearer than London. It is just working it out using the proper conversion rate for cost of living, the one that takes average salary into account.
Isnt it just a little bit rough? Why compare salaries at national scale, why not average wages in two cities or average wages for the same position in the discussed cities?

Do we even know the OP gets average salary for his position in London to use that index ?

There are plenty of other factors, its not this straightforward, basically the most precise judgement would be compare income after tax against expenses, thats all.

Last edited by laven; Mar 26th 2011 at 10:19 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok give up but can you answer any of my questions pls.
Still sitting here unable to sleep with a blanket caus it's cold.
Thanks
Kaz
ps everyone else sound asleep in bed urg!
Yes, I can answer your question.
Hi,
Sorry it was about diabetes care for my son. Free meds for him in Uk not sure about Aus.
Been up since 3.45 am can't sleep, stressed about the move
Thanks
Kaz
Not likely on a 457.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Ph-UK-Au is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Just physically experienced one big diff of UK-AU -time diff. Haha, Slept at 10p and woke up to realise my thread has cause mayhem at the other side of the world. The last time I checked it- AU was really peaceful (it was bec. you were asleep).

But kidding aside. I am picking up so much on all the exchanges and find most helpful.

We are keeping a very open mind on this move and so as the diff in the offers. Which we thought at first was just a couple of thousands (if we do put it in 1.56 and factoring in benefits; but as you guys pointed it out, it is quite glaring at 2.2 to 2.4).

We have also been checking on the mentioned moving closer to London (not too close because we don't find it too ideal to raise young children in the rat-race environment). Reading probably. We know it will not totally resolve the issue as he really moves around in here and even around EU at times. In Perth generally, the clientel would be around the city and every now and then a visit to branches in the neighbouring countries (but that would be rare and just visits). And the answer is Yes on picking up on "Ph"- we are also migrants to UK and have been citizens for several years now. So, paying maximum tax and not getting anything extra from the gov't for several years is not something new to us. But we highly appreciate NHS and educ coming free. And the threat of being a tempo resident (specially with a constantly changing UKBA policies, who has so much retrospective rules- but slapped hard by COJ and sorted themselves back) is a life we've been through.

And to ensure at least the medical and educ benefits would be parallel, I had to call Perth yesterday to check on Medicare policy and Dept. of Educ in WA (the one who answered me is actually- tadaahh- a migrant Brit ) to make sure that these 2 are covered.

In the Phils. both hubby and I worked and paid well too (one requirement to be accepted on the highly skilled migrant visa), had some extrahelpers at home; not to mention close relations as support. I must say we were also in a good position in there but decided the move bec of the social environment (but that's another story). So hope you understand that finances is an issue to us but quality of life weighs alot.

In UK, we love East Anglia as it is a very quiet place that doesn't make it to the national headline news for anything morbid or unacceptable (a vignette/or mention maybe ). But as you may know, so many things are changing in this part of the world and so an offer like Perth (which is just one of the cities in the whole of its country to be ranked in the most liveable cities in the world) makes us wonder if we should walk in or not to its opened door.

Ozhappy you are very right. This is the exact offer: AU$130 + 9% SUPER and part of the salary we can structure to include LAFHA (9%super not lafha, sorry on that). And depending on the performance, if he thus meet his sales target, a percentage of bonus.

From the link that Sach_boogie gave, we got the net. And yes you are right we are working on the net to deduct the cost of living and all the other essentials. Great help on sharing your computation, didn’t know that there is a spouse tax offset. I have to compare it what hubby got for COL fees. Have to wait for him to wake up as I ended up shutting down at 10p while he was still at it. Early logoff for waking up at 2.30a yesterday to call Perth--- and adrenaline got excited and never allowed me to go back to sleep.

We are really pleased that you guys are here/there (everywhere I'm just about to sing but that might cause rain in AU) helping out to work things out, do our maths (else we'd still be using 1.56) and give us different AU prospective from diff personal experiences.

As mentioned in the original post, going back is not something we could consider. One of his edge when recruited to AU is having much UK and ASEAN experience. UK consulting companies would always prefer a candidate with an UK experience than one who practiced it 2-4 years ago. So we really are weighing things out carefully. The AU offer is there, the UK job we still have but before we let go of one we have to have a good view of what we would let go.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it just a little bit rough? Why compare salaries at national scale, why not average wages in two cities or average wages for the same position in the discussed cities?

Do we even know the OP gets average salary for his position in London to use that index ?

There are plenty of other factors, its not this straightforward, basically the most precise judgement would be compare income after tax against expenses, thats all.
I agree. The more info you have to compare the better the result. My point is just that 2.2 is a better starting point than the current exchange rate which is pretty meaningless tbh when trying to compare ongoing cost of living using money earned in the country you live in.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
Not sure about your healthcare question. I believe that you have to have private medical care on a 457. But the super is compulsory and is the state pension.
You gave me a heart attack reading that
It has to be paid by your employer and is the equivalent of having a private pension in the UK. You can add to it yourself also. BUT you need to check that your employer is actually paying it and not just putting it onto you payslip
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fish.01
I agree. The more info you have to compare the better the result. My point is just that 2.2 is a better starting point than the current exchange rate which is pretty meaningless tbh when trying to compare ongoing cost of living using money earned in the country you live in.
I was always saying we have to compare spending powers of 81k pounds in UK and 130k aud in Australia. Is that incorrect? According to my rough research (we are planning to move to London area from Perth) , just on food and property, Perth and London are similar living costs wise.

2.2 is a wrong index, and 178k is a wrong figure. While the method itself is fine, its still not flawless though, its just we dont have sufficient data to work out a right index. The index 2.2 is simply useless and doesnt indicate anything.

We can use lots of methods, even Mcdonalds index, we can count man hours we work to buy weekly consumption bundle. The easiest thing we can do is to compare gains versus loss in each country.

When I put 81k p = 126k aud it was to response to the previous post that said that HR people later would ask why such step back in salary, I thought the person meant absolute figures.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was always saying we have to compare spending powers of 81k pounds in UK and 130k aud in Australia. Is that incorrect?...
Yes it is incorrect. 130 should never come into it at all as based on the exchange rate which is totally meaningless in cost of living/salary comparisons. Not even a useful starting point unfortunately. If you were just responding to other posts then it seems everyone has made their point. How is the weather out there?

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 26th 2011 at 12:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.