Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Have you ever lived in the UK?
She hasn't lived in Perth either.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No not particularly. Do you think I am so stupid that I would not have thought about this?

Three bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, dining room and cinema room. Much the same. Both 45 minutes from the city (london and sydney).

Why do you ask? Are you seriously trying to rationalise why an income of 1.56 x UK would be comparable.
I have no idea how smart / stupid you are. Australian houses are the biggest in the world, you dont compare medium rental rates 45 mins from teh cities versus medium salary, you compare two houses you have lived. Solid argument. Sydney houses are more expensive than Perth houses. Why do you even apply Sydney rates to Perh question in the first place?

Have you ever lived in the UK?
Have you lived in UK in the past 1.5 years?

How can many of you just say that 130k in Australia is 180k in UK? Does the OP lose 60k a year, around 1/3 of his annual income in spending power , is it what you are trying to say? I cannot believe that. Well if thats the case , we are there this year.

This is a crazy talk, you gotta compare things more mathematically /.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Speaking from a position of experience then !
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

How is that?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by laven
Have you lived in UK in the past 1.5 years?

How can many of you just say that 130k in Australia is 180k in UK? Does the OP lose 60k a year, around 1/3 of his annual income in spending power , is it what you are trying to say? I cannot believe that. Well if thats the case , we are there this year.

This is a crazy talk, you gotta compare things more mathematically /.
Nobody said anything of the sort. What we said was that $130k pa in Australia doesn't have the same amount of buying power that eight thousand pounds will get you in the UK... and it won't.
If you don't want to believe that, then that's fine.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

I thought you actually said 130k in Australia has a spending power of 180k in UK
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How is that?
You said on your other thread that you were moving here from southwest WA and wanted to know about doctors and what would you do if you got sick once you moved here to the city.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...23&postcount=3
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:16 am
Account Closed

I thought you actually said 130k in Australia has a spending power of 180k in UK
well that explains it then !
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

You said on your other thread that you were moving here from southwest WA and wanted to know about doctors and what would you do if you got sick once you moved here to the city.
We have been to SW on a temporary basis due to work. I was asking only about emergency + toddler situation, Iv never been to emergency department in Australia.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

well that explains it then !
right, pardon, the other way around of course. need 180k in Au to be equal to 80k pounds
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea how smart / stupid you are. Australian houses are the biggest in the world, you dont compare medium rental rates 45 mins from teh cities versus medium salary, you compare two houses you have lived. Solid argument. Sydney houses are more expensive than Perth houses. Why do you even apply Sydney rates to Perh question in the first place?

What?

I can't even make sense of what you are saying. I have just compared two houses I am living in. What exactly is your point?

£80k does not equal $130k.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

first point is not statistical data,

second point is you dont rent in Perth.

third point is its doubtful 81k pounds in UK is equal to 180k in Australia.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

first point is not statistical data,

second point is you dont rent in Perth.

third point is its doubtful 81k pounds in UK is equal to 180k in Australia.
Don't understand the context of your first two points. Who is talking statistical data and are you saying nobody rents in Pert. Funny, I know somebody that rents in Perth.

And I think that $180k is an entirely realistic expectation for somebody that is earning £80k in UK.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:45 am
Account Closed

right, pardon, the other way around of course. need 180k in Au to be equal to 80k pounds
Yes. That seems to be the current thinking around salary conversion.

Try it the otherway round.
Lets say you currently get paid $156k pa in Australia. Now try and find somebody prepared to pay you one hundred thousand pounds a year in the UK to do the same job.
Try halving the numbers, might be easier. A $78k a year job that somebody will pay you 50 thousand pounds a year to do.
Good luck with that search.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 26th 2011 at 5:55 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading this post. Now 5.50am in Uk and feeling very stressed about the move. Our youngest son has type 1 diabetes, in the UK all his meds are free. Is that the same in Aus or do should we stock pile the insulin, needles ect.
Thanks for any advice
Kaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.