Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should We Stay or Should We Go?

Should We Stay or Should We Go?

Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

wijay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should We Stay or Should We Go?

Hi there
I went to a financial seminar, by one of the english guy who was in pomsinadelaide. He brought an information sheet provided by one of the bank (commonwealth?) predicted that exxhange rate will not reach 2.50 again in the next five years. The best was only about 1.90 in 2013/2014.

I am also still having my money in the UK bank account. I am now waiting for the rate to reach 1.75/1.80 and will transfer all the money to Australia, and put it into term deposit or high intererest account.

So far, I haven't came accross that you need to pay tax for the money you have abroad. I am not sure how ATO or whoever here will calculate "the gain" from your account abroad.

Regards
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey honey

Well I am sorry, but I didn't read anything except the first line of your question, and I haven't read any replies, but my opinion is...and has always been, come because you want to and not because of money.

You can't take it with you, and life is so full of surprises that you just need to live for the here and now.

If you want to come bad enough then you will. That's my advice for what it's worth xxx
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hey honey

Well I am sorry, but I didn't read anything except the first line of your question, and I haven't read any replies, but my opinion is...and has always been, come because you want to and not because of money.

You can't take it with you, and life is so full of surprises that you just need to live for the here and now.

If you want to come bad enough then you will. That's my advice for what it's worth xxx
What she says.
I have PM'd you JG
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot give you any advice on the financial side but i wanted to wish you luck in your decision
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:34 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for the replies - it's been helpful

It's not really a question about the rate - gawd knows if that will ever improve & if it doesnt then I guess we will just have to take a judgement about if we need to exchange badly enough to take that hit.

Really what it is (coz maybe I wasn't clear) is that I've heard that as soon as you enter the Ozzie Tax system you become liable for tax on transfers over $250,000AUD.

It's okay to to take the hit one way or the other, but if we get caught twice then we might never be able to afford to access our money unless we move back to the UK

I will definitely get hold of Alan Collet - thank you for that recommendation, I knew he was well regarded in the migration field but had no idea he did financial advice too
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Thank you everyone for the replies - it's been helpful

It's not really a question about the rate - gawd knows if that will ever improve & if it doesnt then I guess we will just have to take a judgement about if we need to exchange badly enough to take that hit.

Really what it is (coz maybe I wasn't clear) is that I've heard that as soon as you enter the Ozzie Tax system you become liable for tax on transfers over $250,000AUD.

It's okay to to take the hit one way or the other, but if we get caught twice then we might never be able to afford to access our money unless we move back to the UK

I will definitely get hold of Alan Collet - thank you for that recommendation, I knew he was well regarded in the migration field but had no idea he did financial advice too
Why would you pay tax on your money that's already been taxed? Not that I would know for sure It seems wrong to me, but definitely give Alan a call!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
No idea where you might have heard that.
We sold our house after we had been in Aus some years and had finally got PR - and transferred over 250k. No-one asked us for tax and it went to a bona fide bank, which are usually hot on meeting their legal obligations.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:30 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pomster - thanks for your reply

Yes, if the money is proceeds from your primary residence in the UK then you are right, it does not attract tax in the same way. However, not all of our money is proceeds from our house & so it's a bit difficult to find advice or other people who have had similar experiences, though I know they should be out there somewhere...

I hear Danii Minogue is on her way back to Oz, maybe I should ask her