Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should We Stay OR Should We GO???

Should We Stay OR Should We GO???

Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

pirates 4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should We Stay OR Should We GO???

My OH is a BT engineer.
Have other engineers gone out to Australia and managed to get a job?
Is the work simular to England?
Will we have "a life" with weekly/monthly earnings?

Please tell me your quality of life is better. I really want to make the move and though my OH said "lets go for it " I feel he's having second thoughts.
Reading other peoples threads, life does sound MUCH better.

Will be very grateful for all advice
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should We Stay OR Should We GO???

Originally Posted by pirates 4
My OH is a BT engineer.

Please tell me your quality of life is better. I really want to make the move and though my OH said "lets go for it " I feel he's having second thoughts.

Hello and welcome to the site. Although I can not answer the question about work for engineers, as my OH is an Electrician, making the move is each individuals choice. Look at all the reasons why you want to make the move and make sure that you discuss everything, both good and bad points and then see how you feel. If you still feel that it is the right decision for you, then look into it in a lot more detail and do a lot of research. Although you say from reading threads that life does sound MUCH better, LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT! It works for some and not for others. Have you done any research about your OH's job? if not have a look on www.immi.gov.au it is a very useful sight and will probably answer any initial questions you may have.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do and if we can help further please let us know.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Your quite right - Life is what you make it. But at the moment my OH works long hour during the week and nearly every weekend.
OK we don't have a bad life but more time as a family would be so much better for us all as a family. ANd with tow children 9 & 6 they crave the ability
to play outside without the rain! and to have time with their dad when he's awake!!
We have done research regarding telecom companies in Australia. The biggest problem being that they don't disclose the wage much and like most men, the OH is "comfortable" with the job he does. He likes the comfort zone we have made for ourself. But I would sooner regret the things we have done, than the things that I wish we'd done.
I see you live Yorkshire way, (we live in Lancs) Why are you thinking or to Brisbane? and which (if any) agent have you used for your visa?
Best regards P.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

We are the same, not a bad life, good jobs, nice house and great family and friends. We also feel that our move is going to give us more time together and also a better future for our son (who is 8). We are not going with the expectation that everything is going to be rosy, we are expecting the usual problems faced when not in our "Comfort Zone" but we will deal with them one at a time and I totally agree with you about regretting things that you had done as a pose to what you wish you had done.
We chose Brisbane because of the climate and also because we have some friends there who have been really helpful and they also have a lot of contacts, so hopefully it will help when we finally get there.
We used www.1stcontact.co.uk for our visas and found their service excellent, it took us 9 months from sending the TRA application to receiving our visas.
Where abouts in Lancashire are you and where are you thinking of moving to in Oz?
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a BT engineer.

What you should realise is that everyone who migrates has doubts about leaving everything they know. I'm probably one of the Aussie flag waving godzone, but yet even I was doubting my decision at points.

It takes courage to move away from your family, to abandon a career you may have held for years, and sell your life to start over. Its a great opportunity and the ultimate adventure, but its not for everyone.

As to whether its for you - you decide, but once you step outside your comfort zone of everything you know, its not a bad place for most of us
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Hi grahampaula

We live in Littleborough. I am real keen to look into the Queensland area for us to live . But I have been trying to look on the internet where jobs have been advertised, - not sure if this is the best way to look at things or not.
but the lifestyle that the are has to offer would (I think)tick all our boxes.
We have friends that made the move out to Sydney last Aug. They had never visited Australia but decided that they had little to loose. We are in regular contact and they love the life they all have (apart for missing family & friends) and have no regrets about what they have done.
I had wanted to move somewhere abroad way before they said they were moving, but with them "going for it" it has really spurred me on to look into it for ourselves.
Have you been out to Brisbane before and looked at areas / schools ect? have you sold your house? when do you move out?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi grahampaula

We live in Littleborough. I am real keen to look into the Queensland area for us to live . But I have been trying to look on the internet where jobs have been advertised, - not sure if this is the best way to look at things or not.
but the lifestyle that the are has to offer would (I think)tick all our boxes.
We have friends that made the move out to Sydney last Aug. They had never visited Australia but decided that they had little to loose. We are in regular contact and they love the life they all have (apart for missing family & friends) and have no regrets about what they have done.
I had wanted to move somewhere abroad way before they said they were moving, but with them "going for it" it has really spurred me on to look into it for ourselves.
Have you been out to Brisbane before and looked at areas / schools ect? have you sold your house? when do you move out?

We also have looked up jobs and properties etc, but we think that until we are there we will not get the true picture, just a rough idea. Have you checked that your OH's occupation is on the MODL list for the points? (Assuming that you are applying for this kind of visa). We know from our friends that they have good schools and there are loads of different areas to look at.
We have not been to Oz before and like yourself, Brisbane ticks all the right boxes for us. We have an offer on our house, but they have a property to sell so we are stuck in a chain We have to validate our visas by 23rd June so if we do not have any look with the house we will be going for a three week holiday towards the end of May. We will then stay in England for as long as it takes the house sale to go through (Hopefully not too long) but we are keeping everything crossed that we can just go permanently at the end of May, beginning of June
When we next speak to our friends in Oz I will ask them to post us a jobs page and forward it on to you (I will send you a pm and let you know when we receive it).
Paula
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.
Yes my OH job will get us enough points (I think) We have yet to start sorting visas or the "right" company to help us.- (I have however just filled an assessment form in for the agent that you have used) But on filling in an online assessments we are Ok for a skilled visa, so fingers crossed!!
It would be grat if you could send us a job page. The internet has a few jobs to offer but not much detail with them. My OH has put his name down for a few courses at his present work to gain skills within his job that Australian employers have are asking. - So I think that he's more keen than he's letting on to move across the waters.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:11 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

I believe the decision will become even harder, as oz becomes more expensive.

Most ppl no longer come out here and are mortgage-free like the old days.

It's not cheap to move back too. It could be a very exxy exercise for those who can't settle.

It's a long way from the UK. It's not all beaches and nice weather.

Are you ready to be the one with the accent.