Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we stay in NSW or move to Perth ?

Should we stay in NSW or move to Perth ?

Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should we stay in NSW or move to Perth ?

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Good luck with the sale of the house and also the move
Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Is your hubby going to be working for the West Australian by any chnace?
Yes he is as a senior sub editor. He did a similar job on the sports desk on the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph in Sydney for four years.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hi kips, good luck with your move. Do you mind me asking what swayed you into making the decision to 'go for it' . We are currently in NZ and looking at Perth so I am curious .
Thanks.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Hi kips, good luck with your move. Do you mind me asking what swayed you into making the decision to 'go for it' . We are currently in NZ and looking at Perth so I am curious .
Thanks.
That's easy - work. Coffs Harbour is a beautiful place but very poor for jobs. There are no major companies based here. Most of the jobs are in tourism, retail, the health and education sectors. The shop owners are suffering though as people are just not spending enough. The job in Perth was just too good an offer to refuse. OH started work this week and we are now trying to sell the house so that I and our son can join him. Might be a while as housing market is slow at the moment. Only had two viewings in a month, despite four open houses and this week we dropped the price by $6000.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kips
That's easy - work. Coffs Harbour is a beautiful place but very poor for jobs. There are no major companies based here. Most of the jobs are in tourism, retail, the health and education sectors. The shop owners are suffering though as people are just not spending enough. The job in Perth was just too good an offer to refuse. OH started work this week and we are now trying to sell the house so that I and our son can join him. Might be a while as housing market is slow at the moment. Only had two viewings in a month, despite four open houses and this week we dropped the price by $6000.
Me and the missus quit our jobs in Ipswich QLD, and decided to caravan to Perth.

If we like it there, we are going to live there, so please keep us posted on how things go !
Old May 8th 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smidsy
Me and the missus quit our jobs in Ipswich QLD, and decided to caravan to Perth.

If we like it there, we are going to live there, so please keep us posted on how things go !
Good luck with your trip. it will be a great journey as you will see a fair bit of the country. I am planning to fly over with my son next month for five days to have a look round, especially on where to live. Never been to WA. Only ever lived in NSW so it is going to be an eye-opener. OH not impressed with the suburbs north of the river. He says the houses are crammed together on sprawling estates on small blocks with tiny backyards and expensive for what they are. He took a trip to Mandurah and liked it there but might be too far to commute to Osborne Park. He is renting a unit in Shenton Park which he says is a lovely area but properties are $1 million plus to buy and even a townhouse to rent is $1,000 a week. The monthly rental on this would be twice the mortgage we pay on our house here in Corindi Beach !!! I am seriously worried about what we can afford to buy in Perth in an area with a good school, especially if we keep dropping the price on our home here for a quick sale. We are also planning a road trip. The plan is once we sell our house OH is going to fly back and we will take 5/6 days to drive across to Perth - a distance of 4,000km.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Green Polly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kips,
Good idea in my opinion to move to Perth. We live in Tapping which is in the Northen suburbs and have one of the finest schools locally ( walking distance ) We have got our house on the market at present and have had a lot of interst. It is an ex display home only lived in for 9 months. It is on a large block with a large back yard which is fully enclosed. Very reasonably priced.We are a 5 min drive to the nearest train station and convenient for shops, bus route etc. We have a valid reason for moving but love the house so it will be a wrench. Please contact me if you need further details.
Good luck with your move and I am sure you will love Perth as we do.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

He took a trip to Mandurah and liked it there but might be too far to commute to Osborne Park. He is renting a unit in Shenton Park which he says is a lovely area but properties are $1 million plus to buy and even a townhouse to rent is $1,000 a week. The monthly rental on this would be twice the mortgage we pay on our house here in Corindi Beach !!! I am seriously worried about what we can afford to buy in Perth in an area with a good school, especially if we keep dropping the price on our home here for a quick sale.
You will have many options, especially as your child is at primary school at the moment. He will be in Year 3 or 4, so 2-3 years before you need to decide on high schools - time to put in applications for private high school, or choosing an area with a good state high school.

There are good buys and rentals available in Shenton Park, but in no way could it be described as a budget area. Some would rather live there in a 2 bed unit rather for its location, rather than out in the suburbs in a 3-4 bed house for the same money - personal choice as well as $. As you know, there are plenty of Perthites here to help you out with suburb suggestions, but as you've rightly said, getting to Osborne Park, or more correctly Herdsman, is a priority, alsa a good school.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:57 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

That's easy - work. Coffs Harbour is a beautiful place but very poor for jobs. There are no major companies based here. Most of the jobs are in tourism, retail, the health and education sectors. The shop owners are suffering though as people are just not spending enough.
Very true sadly, there is not a lot of work in Coffs. I love it here and my husband works in tourism so we are doing ok. But I have met so many people who have left or are planning to leave because of the lack of employment opportunities. I know 2 families who are planning on staying but they had to buy a business to get a job! The work we have had here has been by word of mouth too - it's a lot to do with who you know. We knew people before we arrived, had that not been the case I think it would have been a really big struggle to find work and settle. A lot of lovely people are here for the highway upgrade, but they will move on....it's sad when making new friends as so many people are just temporary. And those who plan to stay are wary of forging friendships with people who are probably just going to leave. I get that now, as I now see that I too am in that position!