Should we or shouldn't we ?

Should we or shouldn't we ?

Old Nov 16th 2003, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Polarbearpirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Should we or shouldn't we ?

Hi all
This is our first posting so here goes.
My wife and I are both registered nurses I am a theatre manager and Jane is a operating theatre nurse we have 2 girls aged 2 & 3. In May this year we started looking at life, the world and the universe and began looking at the possibilities of a life in a different country. After much consideration, re language, work, housing and quality of life etc, we decided on Australia.
We have drawn to the climate Perth (I lived in Tasmania as child, have little recollection, but otherwise we have no experience of living in Australia).
We duly started the process and are likely to get our visas Feb 2004, all going well.
BUT !!
We now have a dilema! Having found this excellent web site and having spent hours reading the vast numbers of threads we are now confused (read 'bricking it') and are worried that we have made a huge mistake (and invested a lot of money) on an idea that may never materialise.:scared: :scared:
We are reading so many postings about how people are unable to survive and are returning to the UK and although we are not looking to be rich we are looking for a modest standard of living and as we are not poor in the UK we don't want to be poor with a sun tan !!
Whilst we know that we can never be 100% sure we need some reassurance that we are going to be able to make a life for our family on the wages of two level 1 nurses (1 full time and 1 part time) with child care and a mortgage and all the usual bills etc.

Anyone any ideas ??

Jane and Max
Old Nov 16th 2003, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

You only live once and have to take a gamble!
I would rather be financially worse off in Perth than comfortable here.
My partner and I have a joint income of £50,000 approx.
We are quite prepared to cut back in life if it means leaving this depressing country.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Should we or shouldn't we ?

If youw ant something badly enough then you will suceed.

Just keep focussed on the positve.

I'm sure they'll be ups and downs along the way but giving it a go has to be worth it...

Vicky
Old Nov 16th 2003, 4:21 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Only you can decide whats best financially for your family we arent rich here in the uk by any means I was a sterile services technician until recently and my husband is a bricky, we will prob be a bit better off when we get to NZ than we are here but we arent looking for wealth we are looking for quality of life. Do you work in the NHS I did until just over a year ago and couldnt wait to get out....very stressful....badly managed and over worked.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 4:30 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

If you haven't done already, I suggest you do a cost analysis. I don't know the average pay for a nurse but I am sure that others on the forum can oblige. Major expense such as a house will depend on where you want to live and roughly how much you can afford, assuming you may be bringing over some savings from the UK, which may improve your AUD spending power. Childcare costs appear to be expensive, but if one of you is only working part time I guess these will be reduced.

If you have been reading the forum you may have seen various threads on the cost of living, set up costs etc, if not do a search and you should be able to pick things up. Don't forget GST and Stamp Duty. Obviously with your professions you should have no difficulty in securing employment.

No one really come to Oz to make money, and regardless of what lifestyle you desire, money is still needed to put a roof over your head and pay the bills etc.

Good Luck with the maths.

Donna

Originally posted by Polarbearpirate
Hi all
This is our first posting so here goes.
My wife and I are both registered nurses I am a theatre manager and Jane is a operating theatre nurse we have 2 girls aged 2 & 3. In May this year we started looking at life, the world and the universe and began looking at the possibilities of a life in a different country. After much consideration, re language, work, housing and quality of life etc, we decided on Australia.
We have drawn to the climate Perth (I lived in Tasmania as child, have little recollection, but otherwise we have no experience of living in Australia).
We duly started the process and are likely to get our visas Feb 2004, all going well.
BUT !!
We now have a dilema! Having found this excellent web site and having spent hours reading the vast numbers of threads we are now confused (read 'bricking it') and are worried that we have made a huge mistake (and invested a lot of money) on an idea that may never materialise.:scared: :scared:
We are reading so many postings about how people are unable to survive and are returning to the UK and although we are not looking to be rich we are looking for a modest standard of living and as we are not poor in the UK we don't want to be poor with a sun tan !!
Whilst we know that we can never be 100% sure we need some reassurance that we are going to be able to make a life for our family on the wages of two level 1 nurses (1 full time and 1 part time) with child care and a mortgage and all the usual bills etc.

Anyone any ideas ??

Jane and Max
Old Nov 16th 2003, 5:11 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Donna's advice re the money is spot on. I would add also that setup costs are always more than you budget - it's a good idea to at least 1 1/2 times or double the initial amount you think you'll need. better to be safe than sorry!

As to day to day living - it will depend on your final salary and your expectations - and this is where lots of research comes in.

I would say this however:

Say I'm thinking of starting a family. I go to a website to find out about people's experiences having kids. I find many threads about the pain and danger of pregnancy, childbirth, and then even more about the cost and stress of raising children. Some children are a nightmare, some are angels. Some people wonder why they ever did it.... and a few others say they love it.

Would it change my mind? No. But I might be better informed (and terrified!).

Likewise, I could be thinking of going to university. So I visit a web forum on this subect. Some posters mention that fun times and great friendships can be had - but many more say it's hard work, will leave me with a massive debt, and incredibly stressful. some dropped out, some are still there 10 years later.

Would it change my mind? No.

If I wanted to do it, I'd still do it.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 5:21 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]

Would it change my mind? No. But I might be better informed (and terrified!).

Lol yes terrified.
Im getting a bit terrified myself now it is getting closer and you are right the more you read/listen to the worse it gets but our minds are not changed by it, wouldnt make a jot of difference, everyones experiences are different arent they
Old Nov 16th 2003, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Polarbearpirate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
If you haven't done already, I suggest you do a cost analysis. I don't know the average pay for a nurse but I am sure that others on the forum can oblige. Major expense such as a house will depend on where you want to live and roughly how much you can afford, assuming you may be bringing over some savings from the UK, which may improve your AUD spending power. Childcare costs appear to be expensive, but if one of you is only working part time I guess these will be reduced.

If you have been reading the forum you may have seen various threads on the cost of living, set up costs etc, if not do a search and you should be able to pick things up. Don't forget GST and Stamp Duty. Obviously with your professions you should have no difficulty in securing employment.

No one really come to Oz to make money, and regardless of what lifestyle you desire, money is still needed to put a roof over your head and pay the bills etc.

Good Luck with the maths.

Donna
Hello wifey of Polarbear here

Nothing ventured nothing gained... hhhmmmm
If only I could be so bold, not sure if the Davey Crockett hat fits yet. The problem is we have been analysing the costs as far as we can make out and they just don't add up
Estimate wages x 1 and 1/2 at $47,000 average
We estimate that will give us about $1000 per week after tax as the household income.
Mortgage approx $150,000 approx $240 per week
Running costs of car inc petrol and other running costs approx $100
Shopping approx $200
Household bills etc appprox $150
Total of $690 expenditure leaving $310 to cover child care and living
It seems child care is expensive so may well take a large chunk of the $310. It just seems to be cutting it a bit to close for comfort. This doesn't include all the other costs we have forgotten pension, clothes, holidays and alcohol etc
BUT !!!
What we don;t understand is that there are so many of you doing it and some with less money than us.
Have we got our maths wrong? Any of you who are doing it and surviving and any of you who have not (survived that is) please let us know !!!!!!!
Thankyou in advance

PS. Coleslaw is a delicious side dish and easliy prepared
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:19 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Jane and Max,

It's a tough decision to make, but you have to decide if you wonna do it or not on your own criteria.
Staying in the UK is generally the easy option, in the life that you know, but alot of people won't a different sort of life in Oz to the one they have here.
It all depends on how you like your life here and the county / local where you live.

Being in the medical profesion I think you wouldn't hsave a hard time finding work, and the costs depend upon where you live.

Discuss it together and if you don't like it you could alway's come back!! You don't hsave to stay there if you don't like it or miss home.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:22 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Did you work out your tax right?? the ato website has a tax calcluator. if im telling you something you already know tell me to shut up!!!
The childcare cost bit is what put us off going (we aim to go 2005 ish when the kids will be starting school).
I will probably be shot down in flames for saying this to you, but as permanent residents you will be entitled to childcare benefit - have you looked at
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter.../Payments.html
the childcare bit direct link is
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...Childcare.html
there are examples of what you would be entitled to, and phone numbers to contact for advice/assistance.
hope this helps.

sue

ps the reason we didnt go was that i found the childcare benefit after I had done my maths and turned down the post! If I had found it first we would have gone!!

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Nov 16th 2003 at 9:09 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It Is very terrifying but also exciting aswell. We will be leaving a lovely home in a lovely surrounding here. I only work when I want to. Hubby has a very well paid job.
But
We are going to start again n Melbourne. The exchange rate has gone down so much but we still want to go. For many differing reasons (including I was born in Melbourne).

Perth is a lovely place (my Brother lives there_ and in your line of work you should be able to find work reasonably well.

I would deffo do it. At the end of the day its up to you both...

I hope whatever you decide you,ll be happy.
P.S. not everyone comes back to the uk.

take care
booboo
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:19 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Polarbearpirate
Hello wifey of Polarbear here
What we don;t understand is that there are so many of you doing it and some with less money than us.
Have we got our maths wrong? Any of you who are doing it and surviving and any of you who have not (survived that is) please let us know !!!!!!!
Thankyou in advance
PS. Coleslaw is a delicious side dish and easliy prepared
My advice is take a trip out to Perth and see for yourselves what you think, before making any decisions and risking anything more financially.

Some people love it some loathe it. You could make some work links here and have a look around the hospitals, meet some expats out here, take a look at housing and various areas.

Some people earn more money than others, some are just as happy getting by on poor wages, it is all up to you as individuals.

If I can offer any other info on Perth, feel free to ask.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Your joint income is the same as our 2 full time incomes and we clear just over $1000 a week after tax so your calcs must be about right.

We have 2 kids in varying stages of childcare too but we don't have the mortgage which like you estimate would add another $240 ish per week.

Our essential expenses are about $500 per week including chidcare. We manage and if we had $200 a week less we would still manage but it depends on what you are willing to sacrafice.

I don't think people go back just because of money, there are a lot of other factors involved.

Good luck
Diane
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I know next to nothing about Perth, so I cant help you there, but if your calculations are right then $1000/week after tax is a pretty good wage. If thats how much you will earn I would consider myself to be reasonably well off financially.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:03 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I also know nothing about costs in Perth, but I'm surprised at the costs for running a car, and bills.

$200/week all up...

I suppose if you had 2 nices cars with expensive insurance and loads of mobile and broadband bills etc that would add up pretty quick.

But per week? Rather than per fortnightly/or month?? It sounds like quite a lot.

But then better to over budget for these things I guess.

Does anybody else think realistically it would cost less that this per week? Just a thought...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.