Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we rent or buy an old MPV in Perth until ours arrives

Should we rent or buy an old MPV in Perth until ours arrives

Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

smellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nice
Default Should we rent or buy an old MPV in Perth until ours arrives

Just wondered if anyone has any advice. Our people carrier is arriving in perth 9th september so I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks after that to go through customs etc. We arrive 31st August and really need an MPV as we have 4 kids. It looks to be really expensive to rent one for a month - I've tried loads of car hire companies & cheapest would be about £1200. Would it be easy enough to buy an older MPV for say $4000- $5000 - and then at least we could sell it after our one arrives. Does anyone know of any garages that would deal in this sort of car, or where to look for classifieds? Also does it take long if you buy a car from a garage or privately to register it and get it on the road? If we could do this we could rent for a week or so and save cash. Alternatively do you get rent a wrecks in Oz? Tried googling it but nothing came up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way - we're staying in Tapping so somewhere close to there would be good!!!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice
Default Re: Should we rent or buy an old MPV in Perth until ours arrives

Originally Posted by smellycat28
Just wondered if anyone has any advice. Our people carrier is arriving in perth 9th september so I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks after that to go through customs etc. We arrive 31st August and really need an MPV as we have 4 kids. It looks to be really expensive to rent one for a month - I've tried loads of car hire companies & cheapest would be about £1200. Would it be easy enough to buy an older MPV for say $4000- $5000 - and then at least we could sell it after our one arrives. Does anyone know of any garages that would deal in this sort of car, or where to look for classifieds? Also does it take long if you buy a car from a garage or privately to register it and get it on the road? If we could do this we could rent for a week or so and save cash. Alternatively do you get rent a wrecks in Oz? Tried googling it but nothing came up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way - we're staying in Tapping so somewhere close to there would be good!!!

You should sold your MPV in the uk and bought a good one here,
Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

checkout carsales.com.au
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

smellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nicesmellycat28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by billymacker
You should sold your MPV in the uk and bought a good one here,
Believe me we tried! Had it in the local paper, auto trader, ebay for £4000 less than we paid for it last year. No one wants it as it is a 3.3 petrol (chrysler grand voyager) and the price of fuel has gone up so much its really expensive to run. We're usually about £200-£300 a month for petrol and thats just running around with kids- to shops etc we don't use it for work. Road tax has also gone up to over £400 which we didn't realise at the time we bought it, which makes it even worse! We really like the car so decided to ship it as we would have lost money anyway by selling it. Its just what to do in the meantime, until it arrives. We'll maybe just take the hit and rent one for a month!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:46 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you will need it "MOT-ed" here as roadworthy. Only imports need this test and when we came over the waiting list was months. I think the state govt has let some garages do it these days so the queue might be smaller.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me we tried! Had it in the local paper, auto trader, ebay for £4000 less than we paid for it last year. No one wants it as it is a 3.3 petrol (chrysler grand voyager) and the price of fuel has gone up so much its really expensive to run. We're usually about £200-£300 a month for petrol and thats just running around with kids- to shops etc we don't use it for work. Road tax has also gone up to over £400 which we didn't realise at the time we bought it, which makes it even worse! We really like the car so decided to ship it as we would have lost money anyway by selling it. Its just what to do in the meantime, until it arrives. We'll maybe just take the hit and rent one for a month!
I'd be intersted to hear your experience of the whole shipping process. I'd heard it was a mare. Was it easily arranged? How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Andy
Old Aug 14th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

drive.com.au

i hired a car on th net when we came, they had a special with buget on a family car at groap a price, when i arrived i upgraded to a BMW for $14 aday more, i got it cheaper cos i booked in advance from the uk.

i think it was holidayautos.com or ,co,uk also you can extend the hire weekly or monthly at the same rate, i had it for 3 months, then bought a brand new car in the sales $5k off list price

James
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

By the time you get it here it could cost you up to 10,000 pounds with shipping and import tax's plus on the road cost's.

Would like to know the final cost when you get it on the road here.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi sorry internet problems so haven't been on today. My husbands organised most of this, but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been too much hassle. Firstly you have to apply for permission to import which was pretty straightforward cost about $50 and you need proof of ownership, purchase and copies of visa, valuation of vehicle etc, came back from oz in 3 weeks. We shipped with rjj and the shipping costs were around 1800 pounds (haven't got exact figures as husband is away). We took a container so we could fill the car with stuff (apparently you cant do that if you ship the car ro/ro). Marine insurance was 415 and we were 180 to get the car transported from aberdeen to southampton. We have an agent in australia who estimated our arrival costs `quarantine, duty, & the rest at around $5000. Then when it clears customs we need to get a roadworthy test, which checks things like your speedo (needs to be in KM) and you need isofix child seat anchors and basic mot stuff, then once it passes that it needs to be registered. All in all it will cost us around 5500 WE HOPE! I think it also depends on what type of car you're importing - some have a luxury car tax which would make it more expensive. It IS expensive and we would have never considered it if we got a decent price for ours. Will keep everyone posted as to the final cost - lets hope we're not bankrupt by the time we get it:curse::curse::curse: Oh anyway got the car problem sorted out - my cousin has a banger which she'll give us till ours arrives - only seats five so we'll hire mpv for a week or so to look around and then take it in turns to go in the car. By looking at the website the roadworthy test can normally be done same day so it might not take as long as we thought. Might mean a day at the garage, but thats hubbies dept
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=smellycat28;6678066]Just wondered if anyone has any advice. Our people carrier is arriving in perth 9th september so I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks after that to go through customs etc. We arrive 31st August and really need an MPV as we have 4 kids.

just like to say there is nothing worse than a stupid git telling you
you should have sold your car when its on its way over ,That type
of person should be shipped with a car for eight weeks in the boot

I can see your bringing the car for your personal use ,and i would
like to say good luck and happy motoring in Perth when it arrives