British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Should we move to Central Coast????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/should-we-move-central-coast-559655/)

Daimpen Sep 5th 2008 12:25 pm

Should we move to Central Coast?????

Please help.

This is my first time on here. We're considering a move to Oz with two kids (4 & 1 1/2). We're looking at commuting into sydney from central coast area. Anybody got any advice on living in and commuting from Central Coast - where to live thats commutable (no more than an hours commute)?, cost of houses?, any places to avoid?, any good primary schools in that area? Many British Ex-pats living in that area? Any opinions on Woy Woy, Umina, Ettalong??

Also can anybody recommend any other affordable areas to buy around Sydney (no more than $600,000, near the beach if possible but not essential, no more than an hour's commute into Sydney for work, nice area for families to live and good primary schools close by??

Have lived in Sydney before for a year (Manly) which I absolutely loved but that's way out of our price range now.

Any advice much appreciated!

NickyC Sep 5th 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Should we move to Central Coast?????

Originally Posted by Daimpen (Post 6751980)
Please help.

This is my first time on here. We're considering a move to Oz with two kids (4 & 1 1/2). We're looking at commuting into sydney from central coast area. Anybody got any advice on living in and commuting from Central Coast - where to live thats commutable (no more than an hours commute)?, cost of houses?, any places to avoid?, any good primary schools in that area? Many British Ex-pats living in that area? Any opinions on Woy Woy, Umina, Ettalong??

Also can anybody recommend any other affordable areas to buy around Sydney (no more than $600,000, near the beach if possible but not essential, no more than an hour's commute into Sydney for work, nice area for families to live and good primary schools close by??

Have lived in Sydney before for a year (Manly) which I absolutely loved but that's way out of our price range now.

There's nowhere on the Central Coast that's less than an hours commute. If you got on the train at Woy Woy (the closest Central Coast station to Sydney) it would take you on average 1hr 15m on the train to get to Central. Then you have travelling times to and from the stations.

Check out the suburbs north of Hornsby (but within the Sydney area) or the Hills instead if that's too far to travel.

redissue Sep 6th 2008 8:47 am

We moved over here last November and live in Woy Woy. As NickyC says the times to Sydney are 1hr 15 min on train, about the same in the car, depending upon time of day etc. I commute via car to Baulkham Hills area (no trains) - takes about 70 minutes each way.
There are 4 primary schools - Umina appears to be the biggest and the most popular, we will probably end up at Woy Woy South for our 5 year old in January though. Looks good also. Ettalong and Woy Woy are the other 2. By asking around you get a whole range of answers to what people think about them all - they have all received good press and all received negative comments in our experience. We were impressed with Umina but due to zoning etc, we will probably not be there
There are plenty of expats around here. Plenty of Aussies though also, and a range of demographics (ask the old timers about Woy Woy and you will get nothing but negative comments - but times change and it is now a better place with loads of commuters from Sydney with young families. We think it is great)
You will get a good place for $600k, and nowhere is far from the beach or 2.

E3only Sep 6th 2008 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Daimpen (Post 6751980)
Please help.

Good place central cost.
600k will get you a decent place there.
Manly - you still can get something there too. what 600k buys well thats just the time you are looking to buy etc....My friend is looking at a one bedroom unit for 350k 'asking' price....

Travel from central cost....assume you live close to station - consider 1.30 mins door to door AT THE minimum. Thats if you stick to fast trains...which means you have to stick to a set routine...but then again you may not have to travel all the way to the downtown..you cud work in Hornsby :)

All the best,,,

LAM Sep 6th 2008 9:23 am

Try this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454101

:thumbsup: