Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should we go for it

should we go for it

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

cristinalisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should we go for it

My husband has just been offered a job in Melbourne,the problem is we have not actually been looking to emirgrate.After alot of thought we have decided its too good an opportunity to miss,and we should go for it .
His future employer said that they will bring him over on a 4 year working visa, then after 2 years they would apply for a full visa on his behalf.Could anyone tell me if there is any draw backs to this type of visa.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:07 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we go for it

Originally Posted by cristinalisa
My husband has just been offered a job in Melbourne,the problem is we have not actually been looking to emirgrate.After alot of thought we have decided its too good an opportunity to miss,and we should go for it .
His future employer said that they will bring him over on a 4 year working visa, then after 2 years they would apply for a full visa on his behalf.Could anyone tell me if there is any draw backs to this type of visa.
Can't really help with your question, but good luck with your venture! I would agree its an opportunity too good to miss!

Jackie
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

The family (husband,myself and our 2 girls) are going out on May 20th to have a good look around .We will have alot to check out. He will be working in Sunshine West , has anyone got an idea of a nice suburb around this area, we've been looking at realestate on the net around the area ....for hours.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: should we go for it

The family (husband,myself and our 2 girls) are going out on May 20th to have a good look around .We will have alot to check out. He will be working in Sunshine West , has anyone got an idea of a nice suburb around this area, we've been looking at realestate on the net around the area ....for hours.
Ive heard through other sites that Sunshine is a decent place you could get a surburb profile through the real estate agents that would proberbly be your best bet. Good luck
Mandy
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Would say do lots of research and work out if it's really what you want to do. Don't just jump in as the chance has come up, it will be a major move! Other than that sounds like a good opportunity...
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:03 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Assume this is a Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457)

Do a search for 457 and check out this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Hi Cristinalisa

We are also going on a 4 yr working visa. DH got offered a job in Perth & has accepted. Like you, we had not been looking to emigrate but this has landed in our laps & I just feel it's a opportunity not to be missed! I don't want to look back in say 10 years & wonder 'what if...?'
We have got to do it & if it doesn't work out then what the heck we come back. Just think what an adventure!!

For information on the drawbacks of the 4 yr working visa aka 457 see this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...7+restrictions But don't let this put you off

Put in a search '457', there are loads of threads about this visa on here.
Leigh
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Took me so long to post that, crawling had already sent you the link ignore me
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't personally live in the Sunshine area, not very nice when you drive through it, a bit grim.

We live in Point Cook which is probably about 20 minutes from Sunshine.

Although we find it quite quiet here plenty of people seem to love it. There are plenty of primary schools, no secondary ones yet, and its close to the city as well. There's a huge amount of building going on and we are building a house here.

There's the Sanctuary Lakes Estate which is all housing around the Gregg Norman Golf Course and there are a few expats renting on there.

Have a look on realestate.com.au.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

This is what I wish I had done, someone else pays for it.

You get a four year plan, and if the country doesnt suit, you go back happy as larry, if not you stay.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
I wouldn't personally live in the Sunshine area, not very nice when you drive through it, a bit grim.

We live in Point Cook which is probably about 20 minutes from Sunshine.

Although we find it quite quiet here plenty of people seem to love it. There are plenty of primary schools, no secondary ones yet, and its close to the city as well. There's a huge amount of building going on and we are building a house here.

There's the Sanctuary Lakes Estate which is all housing around the Gregg Norman Golf Course and there are a few expats renting on there.

Have a look on realestate.com.au.
We have been looking at Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes there looks to be some nice properties ,will you get much land with properties in this new build area.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been looking at Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes there looks to be some nice properties ,will you get much land with properties in this new build area.
From what I have seen driving through there you don't get much land at all.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what sort of size your looking for, you wouldn't be able to get acreage or anything. The house were building is 30 squares and we have a 10 metre deep garden.

Alot of people in Point Cook seem to put the biggest house they can possibly fit onto their land.

There are plenty for sale though with big enough gardens.

Have a loot at www.realestate.com.au or www.pointcookrealestate.com.au
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: should we go for it

Hi Rachel regaring primary schools i do have concerns where i live now their are some areas and primary schools which i do not find suitable for us and our children who would you advise so speak to regarding primary schools.I would like the best for my children and would like to think when we enrol them in australia i have done the right thing. Cristina.

Last edited by cristinalisa; Apr 23rd 2006 at 11:24 am.