Should We Go?

Old Sep 3rd 2005, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough
Default Should We Go?

I have read with interest many of the views, positive and negative on this forum about moving to Aus and I have to make some choices by Feb as to whether to move from UK, comments appreciate from those who are there and any tips:

-Got residency April 04, sponsored my girlfriend and she got her visa last week. We have 2 one way flight booked for Feb (air miles so we can cancel no penalty)
-we cannot complain at our lives here, but we feel something is missing. We live in London, both have good jobs (joint salary over gbp170K), 4 nice holidays/yr, and friends. We live in 2 bed apt central London-refuse to commute, we feel we are working all the time, too tired to do anything at weekends (I am travelling abroad every week almost with work). We perceive our quality of life low in London, it was good when we were late 20s now we have got to age of 35 and we are no longer so interested in our careers that much and want a change and our lives as we are not evolving, just bored. We want to look back on our lives as having experienced things, not just accumulated wealth which I see the main focus in the surrounds around us or friends at the moment.

We though about moving out of London, but we see no other alternative in UK (we could have many separate discussion on this, but lets discuss another time!!) so the idea is to move to Sydney after having had some great holidays in Aus.
-We lived in California about 6 years ago for 2 years, so we have some experience of living abroad; we went with open mind, but in end felt culturally more comfortable in Europe.
-we plan to rent out our flat in London, we have about 80k in cash to take. We want to take 3 months off travelling then look for work.
-we want to start a family in Aus, we see it is very tough for friends who have family in London, schools, etc.
-I have not decided if I want to do same type of job, in a new place or do something new, in a new place-kind of downsizing our lives.
-I am trading commodities in the city; my girlfriend is finance director at small media company. Anyone knows how easy it will be for us to get a job in these fields. This sounds nieve, we have not looked into how easy or what jobs there are for us. We feel we can sort something out.

Anyway, forgive the lack of structure in my posting, but any comments advice to whether to move are appreciated. Simply, shall we give up what we have got, which we appreciate is a comfortable life, but one which feels lacking in someway, for one in Aus.

We are not scared of change so much, if it does not work out, we will just get citizenship after 2 years and come back to UK, maybe just having last minute apprehensions! My girlfriend has handed her notice in at work. I have to do later this month. It all seems so real now this move!!

Our dream is more relaxed jobs, spending time with young family in sun and on beach (winters to long in England), we like outdoor life –we are from Devon originally, we are happy to have a 2-3 bed cottage with a small garden in central Sydney (we have no dreams for large house)- we realize we cannot afford much else if we downsize. We want to come back to England once a year to see family, we are happy to holiday domestically, maybe occasionally in Asia

Advice need. Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should We Go?

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
I have read with interest many of the views, positive and negative on this forum about moving to Aus and I have to make some choices by Feb as to whether to move from UK, comments appreciate from those who are there and any tips:

-Got residency April 04, sponsored my girlfriend and she got her visa last week. We have 2 one way flight booked for Feb (air miles so we can cancel no penalty)
-we cannot complain at our lives here, but we feel something is missing. We live in London, both have good jobs (joint salary over gbp170K), 4 nice holidays/yr, and friends. We live in 2 bed apt central London-refuse to commute, we feel we are working all the time, too tired to do anything at weekends (I am travelling abroad every week almost with work). We perceive our quality of life low in London, it was good when we were late 20s now we have got to age of 35 and we are no longer so interested in our careers that much and want a change and our lives as we are not evolving, just bored. We want to look back on our lives as having experienced things, not just accumulated wealth which I see the main focus in the surrounds around us or friends at the moment.

We though about moving out of London, but we see no other alternative in UK (we could have many separate discussion on this, but lets discuss another time!!) so the idea is to move to Sydney after having had some great holidays in Aus.
-We lived in California about 6 years ago for 2 years, so we have some experience of living abroad; we went with open mind, but in end felt culturally more comfortable in Europe.
-we plan to rent out our flat in London, we have about 80k in cash to take. We want to take 3 months off travelling then look for work.
-we want to start a family in Aus, we see it is very tough for friends who have family in London, schools, etc.
-I have not decided if I want to do same type of job, in a new place or do something new, in a new place-kind of downsizing our lives.
-I am trading commodities in the city; my girlfriend is finance director at small media company. Anyone knows how easy it will be for us to get a job in these fields. This sounds nieve, we have not looked into how easy or what jobs there are for us. We feel we can sort something out.

Anyway, forgive the lack of structure in my posting, but any comments advice to whether to move are appreciated. Simply, shall we give up what we have got, which we appreciate is a comfortable life, but one which feels lacking in someway, for one in Aus.

We are not scared of change so much, if it does not work out, we will just get citizenship after 2 years and come back to UK, maybe just having last minute apprehensions! My girlfriend has handed her notice in at work. I have to do later this month. It all seems so real now this move!!

Our dream is more relaxed jobs, spending time with young family in sun and on beach (winters to long in England), we like outdoor life –we are from Devon originally, we are happy to have a 2-3 bed cottage with a small garden in central Sydney (we have no dreams for large house)- we realize we cannot afford much else if we downsize. We want to come back to England once a year to see family, we are happy to holiday domestically, maybe occasionally in Asia

blimey you are good earners but so was my sister when she left (140k gbp)

why don't you go, get your citizenship and if you stay any longer then it is a bonus

my sis went 3 years ago and is very happy (a great deal poorer but happy) and loves her new life however she still cannot say it is forever (but that is just her mentality). She is 35, has been married since 18 (to the same man) and has a nine year old kid but she is in industry that demands huge commitment (works in TV)

go for it with an open mind, if it fails then so what, at least you tried, if you don't try you might always regret it

Tara

x good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 6:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Don't have any specific advice for you, since we're yet to move out ourselves. Just wanted to say that ultimately the kind of job you do, is down to you. I'm sure you can find work in Sydney CBD along the lines of your current job, but you say you're leaving to escape that, so you have to do some hard thinking about what it is you *do* want to do. I'm a journalist and whilst I'd be happy to do similar work in Oz if it meant the bills got paid, I'd also happily open a coffee shop (something we're looking into at the moment).

If I have any advice I'd say to think long and hard about your three months off - because you might find it incredibly hard to get back into the swing of things. My wife works in IT and we took just six weeks off last xmas, but since we've returned she's found it not far short of hellish, getting back into the swing of things. I suppose it's all about finding that happy medium, reminding yourself that you're not on holiday. Anyway, you sound clued up to me and given the fact that you've already lived abroad, I'm sure you'll both get on famously. Best of luck with it.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

We lived in California about 6 years ago for 2 years, so we have some experience of living abroad; we went with open mind, but in end felt culturally more comfortable in Europe.
Sorry, but if that was already the case in the US....what makes you think that you would not miss Europ in OZ??
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Sorry, but if that was already the case in the US....what makes you think that you would not miss Europ in OZ??

The reason we moved back from US was not strictly cultural, sorry for misleading. One main problem was green card/work permit. We had to be sponsored for our companies and moving around from job to job was not easy. This was one main problem, stuck in jobs unhappy.

Second, US culture is capitlaism at one extreme, look at new orleans today, rich white people leave to huston as they have a car, all poor black people remain as they do not have a car and then as they all have right to arms and protect themsleves, so they shoot each other etc, etc.

Something is just not quite right with American socirty, it is seductive, money etc, but not for me.

Actually, i agree we will have cultural issues in Aus to deal with, but I think they are not so extreme as US, I think AUS is closer to UK than UK is to US. Likewise, I am starting to feel the last 5 or so years I am not so happy with where the Uk is going.

I guess I have to discover this myself. I however learnt one thing form living in the US, UK has some very good things and you really appreciate them when you are away for an extended period of time.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Your current high earnings and substantial savings allow you to consider taking an extended break. However, once in Oz I doubt you will have that luxury for very long, especially if you want to live in Sydney. You'd almost certainly have to sell your London flat if you wanted to buy there, although you could rent fairly affordably. Long hours culture appears to be very common in Oz working life, esp. professional roles. Your comments about sun, family and the beach need to be seen in the light of the issue of UV-induced skin cancer.

However, given your age and no dependents as yet, you can afford to give it a go in Oz for a couple of years without the complications most others face. Then take stock as to whether to stick, or move back to UK, or move somewhere else.

P.S. I would agree with Hutch that picking up again after a "career break" is not at all as simple as some would have you believe.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 9:08 pm
aussie73

l say go for it, as long as if you decide to return to the Uk you can afford to return to living the same type of lifestyle and similar jobs as you had before you immigrated.

Old Sep 3rd 2005, 9:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We are not scared of change so much, if it does not work out, we will just get citizenship after 2 years and come back to UK, .
Bear in mind that the government is making noises about increasing the residence requirement for citizenship to four years.

Jeremy
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 9:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

In a word - yes you should go. My reasoning behind this is quite simple. You wanted to go since 2003 at least since thats when you would have applied for PR and has probably been a hope before then and since. Everything you have done up until now has led to this one single moment when you finally move on. Scary isn't it ???

Your not alone in asking the "what if" questions, its something that my wife and I have tried to play down, but moving away from everything that is familar and stable, stepping into the greatest adventure of your life without guarantees is truly frightening.

Ultimately I think that we shall be happy in Australia if we choose to be and its very much what we make of it - come shit or sunshine. We've sold our businesses, houses and today even sold the car. Are we sure we are doing the right thing - yes - because even though its scary we'd rather live our life without the "what if's" and rather have the "i did that's"
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Storini
Your current high earnings and substantial savings allow you to consider taking an extended break. However, once in Oz I doubt you will have that luxury for very long, especially if you want to live in Sydney. You'd almost certainly have to sell your London flat if you wanted to buy there, although you could rent fairly affordably. Long hours culture appears to be very common in Oz working life, esp. professional roles. Your comments about sun, family and the beach need to be seen in the light of the issue of UV-induced skin cancer.

However, given your age and no dependents as yet, you can afford to give it a go in Oz for a couple of years without the complications most others face. Then take stock as to whether to stick, or move back to UK, or move somewhere else.

P.S. I would agree with Hutch that picking up again after a "career break" is not at all as simple as some would have you believe.

Thanks for the grear comments. Could you help me concerning having to sell the flat here. I would prefer to keep the flat here in UK.

Our thinking was something like this, maybe too simple, but we put down $100k downpayment on 600k$ apt, $500k mortage covered by salary when we both get jobs. Does this seem reasonable. We have seen apt. wew would be happy to live in for 600$ in Sydney

Is this feasible?
Guess it depends all on us both getting a job that covers $500 mortgage.

Any comments.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

You've got to do your own research to see if your finances add up. Here's a site which has a lot of financial markets jobs in Sydney: http://jobs.efinancialcareers.co.uk/...lia-Sydney.htm - it shows 66 jobs at present, with quite a wide range of salaries quoted.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 11:58 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Why not down size move to France and live a simple life or work from home, much easier and far easier to change. You have no idea why you want to move to Australia, 10000 miles between you and your family??? Yeah go for it as many will say on here, but they're bias (don't tell em I said so) Think long and hard about what you're going to do. Far easier options closer to home, don't really understand why you can't live outside london but you think you could in Aus? Also lol at small cottage in Sydney Me thinks you could do with a holiday to see exactly what it's like

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:36 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Why not down size move to France and live a simple life or work from home, much easier and far easier to change. You have no idea why you want to move to Australia, 10000 miles between you and your family??? Yeah go for it as many will say on here, but they're bias (don't tell em I said so) Think long and hard about what you're going to do. Far easier options closer to home, don't really understand why you can't live outside london but you think you could in Aus? Also lol at small cottage in Sydney Me thinks you could do with a holiday to see exactly what it's like

Good luck whatever you decide!
They have been to OZ on holidays and know what its like. l'm sure they have been to France too, It seems they would prefer to live in OZ.

Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:54 am
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussie73
They have been to OZ on holidays and know what its like. l'm sure they have been to France too, It seems they would prefer to live in OZ.

Ok they've been there and expect to get a twee cottage in Sydney lol It seems they're clutching at straws!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:08 am
ABCDiamond

Maybe they have seen these 2-3 bed cottages in Central Sydney.... http://www.sydney-hotels.net/bayside.htm

The word "cottage" in Sydney is used differently to the word in the UK.

VILLA – A term widely used in Victoria, elsewhere known as a cottage. The popular definition is a detached single-storey house.
http://www.reiaustralia.com.au/consumer/v.asp

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Sep 4th 2005 at 1:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.