Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should We Get a Tetanus, Booster?

Should We Get a Tetanus, Booster?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:48 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should We Get a Tetanus, Booster?

We've had all the usual vaccinations and I know we are not off to a high risk country by any means but to save messing around in the future has anyone else had a tetanus before they left the UK?

OH and me haven't had one for years and years! We are stopping over in Singapore for 5 nights and was wondering whether we needed one. Nurse at the doctors said that nothing extra is required for singapore and as long as we are upto date with UK vaccinations we are fine, well as I say we haven't had a tetanus for years!

The brochure says that they recommend you have hepatitis A, Polio and Typhoid.

My thinking is that it's free while we are here and it saves a load of messing around if we get bitten by a dog in the future or something!

???

what do you reckon?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all
Default Re: Should We Get a Tetanus, Booster?

Originally Posted by carmele
We've had all the usual vaccinations and I know we are not off to a high risk country by any means but to save messing around in the future has anyone else had a tetanus before they left the UK?

OH and me haven't had one for years and years! We are stopping over in Singapore for 5 nights and was wondering whether we needed one. Nurse at the doctors said that nothing extra is required for singapore and as long as we are upto date with UK vaccinations we are fine, well as I say we haven't had a tetanus for years!

My thinking is that it's free while we are here and it saves a load of messing around if we get bitten by a dog in the future or something!

???

what do you reckon?
yep i agree you might as well have it now saves hastle later
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carmele

???

what do you reckon?
You need 5 doses of tetanus injection then you are completely covered and don't require anymore. If you've had 5 doses you won't need it, if you haven't then you could have it done before you go but they may not do it for routine sake.
You can check out info about tetanus jabs if you're interested just follow the link http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...60&sectionId=9
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:42 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait till you tread on a rusty nail........then worry about it!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Answering with nurse head on and dealing with this everyday, the thread which mentioned 5 doses is now the current trend. Remember you will have had 3 by the time you are fifteen and dependant on how old you are and how many injuries you have had maybe two more.
Tetanus is caused by Clostridium which lives in the soil so that is why it is silly things like pricking fingers on a rosebush that give people tetanus. Having said that there are very few cases of tetanus reported each year.
You probably have plenty of antibodies floating about. So if your nurse doesn't think you should then you probably don't need it.
Hope this helps. Tetanus now comes in form of triple vax called revaxis which has polio and diptheria too.
Maisey
Other more important things to worry about I'm sure!!
Have a great time.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:40 am

Sals and Maisey Excellent Advice Thank You

I just wasn't sure whether we neede dit for the stopover in singapore

If I should have had 3 doses by the time I was 15 then I reckon I would have probably had one more too.

What about Hep A, diptheria and polio the injections we have as children do they last a lifetime?

Thanks
Carmel
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

I think it is given as a triple booster now as cheaper not because needed. Diptheria and polio are very rare now almost never seen, unlike measles and mumps which are on the increase due to children not being vaccinated. Wouldn't worry about the diptheria and believe you have had polio already from nurse.
We only tend to catch people when they come in with high risk injuries (fork handle through foot etc, dirty wounds) we only give if they have less than 5 and more than 10 years since last with a wound.
Go enjoy and don't worry you will be fine.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry yes not necessary to vaccinate against either routinely. As above you have had polio and not necessary to have diptheria as no risk.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:32 pm

Thanks Very much Maisey

Carmel