Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should we bring school and dr reports etc to Oz?

should we bring school and dr reports etc to Oz?

Old May 18th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default should we bring school and dr reports etc to Oz?

Off in 40 days!

should i get reports from the girls schools, and our doctors reports etc? none of us have any significant medical history.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:12 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we bring school and dr reports etc to Oz?

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Off in 40 days!

should i get reports from the girls schools, and our doctors reports etc? none of us have any significant medical history.
School reports yes possibly, doctors no - unless of course there is anything in particular that they need to know about. We brought ours (and paid for them) and have never been asked for them - they're still in my kitchen cupboard after 2 years.

We didnt bring school records for our daughter who was 6 at the time as the school said they would send them. Whether they did or not I'm not sure, I dont think so as I didnt ever hear anything. It wouldnt hurt to bring them though I'm sure.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to get my boys into a faith school so would imagine that a school report from UK schools would help.

In general, although the testing of kids in Australia is different to that here, I think it would be helpful to have a summary of your childs acheivements/needs to help the new school to settle them in.

I have seen many threads about medical records which seem to indicate that they are of little use in Australia.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Private schools will ask for school reports, public schools won't. Bottom line is your local public school has to take your kids, the private schools can choose.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Private schools will ask for school reports, public schools won't. Bottom line is your local public school has to take your kids, the private schools can choose.
Private schools will accept your child if they have a vacancy, for most of them it has nothing to do with your school report. Only the few elite schools may base their decision on good grades. And obviously there may be other criteria, such as being baptised if you want a Catholic school. School reports are a great indication for the school to see what level the child is at, especially for those children who may be placed in one grade or another because of when their birthday falls. I would give reports to the school whether private or public.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:07 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We got both, have needed the school reports for private schools and Drs reports were free for us so got them too - have only used them for proof of vaccinations which were also in red book.
Old May 19th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Private schools will accept your child if they have a vacancy, for most of them it has nothing to do with your school report. Only the few elite schools may base their decision on good grades. And obviously there may be other criteria, such as being baptised if you want a Catholic school. School reports are a great indication for the school to see what level the child is at, especially for those children who may be placed in one grade or another because of when their birthday falls. I would give reports to the school whether private or public.
Sorry, but I disagree that private schools will automatically take your child if they have a vacancy. Our school definitely tries to make sure there had been no history of bad behaviour or being disruptive. They have an absolute zero tolerance policy for any form of bullying and won't accept kids if they suspect that has been a problem. If people can't produce written reports they will contact previous schools by phone/e-mail.
Old May 19th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Off in 40 days!

We bought both - both have been helpful.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:31 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Not strictly true. Agree that public schools have to accept your child if you live within the catchment area, as we did when we arrived, but they still asked to see previous UK reports as an indicator of academic ability and behaviour.
Now we have moved to the other side of the city and wish to transfer our eldest to another equally good, public high school, although this time we are one street out of the zone. Had a meeting with the head this morning and she requested reports from both the high school and the UK primary school. Got the definite impression that academic achievement would be a very strong contributing factor when her placement is being considered. There is a long waiting list at this particular school with many families living just out of catchment, so the school can afford to be choosey. All schools, public or private have their performance and success to consider, although private institutions are clearly run as a business which depends on results.
I would advise whether you choose public or private bring the reports with you, you may need them, you may not, but it's better to have both possibilties covered.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Sorry, but I disagree that private schools will automatically take your child if they have a vacancy. Our school definitely tries to make sure there had been no history of bad behaviour or being disruptive. They have an absolute zero tolerance policy for any form of bullying and won't accept kids if they suspect that has been a problem. If people can't produce written reports they will contact previous schools by phone/e-mail.
I thought the OP was meaning academic school reports, not behaviour, hence that's what I was referring to.