Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we believe this?

Should we believe this?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Should we believe this?

Hi everyone,

Article out of Australia news emailed to me today, I think a lot of people would have seen this but for those that haven't her goes:
Good news for Tradesmen?

People already over there, it does seem a bit far fetched, opions please?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:55 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Should we believe this?

I think I'll re-train !!

Warren

Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:00 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi everyone,

Article out of Australia news emailed to me today, I think a lot of people would have seen this but for those that haven't her goes:
Good news for Tradesmen?

Bugger the masters degree in quantum mechanics and my weekend job as a particle physicist, I'm off to be a brickie!!

D D
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Good news for Tradesmen?

Another great british article on OZ! it seems to have missed a few little points about working in aus like its rather strict LICENCE system.

Do a search on licence it should bring up lots of other small points on trades in paradise
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Should we believe this?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Another great british article on OZ! it seems to have missed a few little points about working in aus like its rather strict LICENCE system.

Do a search on licence it should bring up lots of other small points on trades in paradise

No need!!!!!!!

It was an article in a reputable emigration newspaper that a lot of people on here subscribe to, do you people think we haven't done our homework?
I was presuming it was talking about after getting your licences!! that is why I asked the question!!!!!!

I actually do know you need a licence for most trades in Oz (A good thing in my opinion)

But thanks for the views though!

Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

No need!!!!!!!

It was an article in a reputable emigration newspaper that a lot of people on here subscribe to, do you people think we haven't done our homework?
I was presuming it was talking about after getting your licences!! that is why I asked the question!!!!!!

I actually do know you need a licence for most trades in Oz (A good thing in my opinion)

But thanks for the views though!

Actually if you read many of the posts I suggested searching on you will see many do/have arrived and dont realise a lot of things even tho they passed a trade assessment, or the time involved to get a licence. Fantastic you know all that but somebody else may find it helpful to be prepred financially for example while waiting to work.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:09 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Actually if you read many of the posts I suggested searching on you will see many do/have arrived and dont realise a lot of things even tho they passed a trade assessment, or the time involved to get a licence. Fantastic you know all that but somebody else may find it helpful to be prepred financially for example while waiting to work.

Hi J&R i was aware that there was a strict licence system, i am a metal fitter/pump engineer to trade, do you know where i can find out if i need a licence before i can start work?

i also have a lot of sales experience so if the worst comes to the worst i could fall back on that!!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi J&R i was aware that there was a strict licence system, i am a metal fitter/pump engineer to trade, do you know where i can find out if i need a licence before i can start work?

i also have a lot of sales experience so if the worst comes to the worst i could fall back on that!!
Dont know about that trade at all, bet someone on here will, dont forget to add what State you are going to could be relevant.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:47 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Good news for Tradesmen?

A simlar thread appeared the other day. This one specifically mentions ceramic tilers though. I'm a ceramic tiler here and If you want to hear the truth then we have actually dropped our prices in the last 2 months as we were loosing out on too many jobs to guys travelling up from further down the coast. I'm based in/around Gympie and the tilers have been coming up from Caloundra and even Cabulture.
Sorry it's not what you want to hear, it seems work has dropped off slightly down there and if you thought it was cut throat in U.K you 'aint seen nothing yet.
My licence took over 9 months to obtain and cost a small fortune. We were prepared to some degree but the TRA part of the process pales into insignificance by comparison.
Now for the disclaimer.
You asked for opinions!, I have hands on experience I have truthfully posted these experiences!. If it's not what you want to hear and you feel I should post something positive about Australia how about reading another thread.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Should we believe this?

Thanks, this is precisely what I posted for, so we could get true views from people out there.
I myself am hoping to stay in Engineering, but if the worse comes to the worse I am quite prepared to jump back on the tools, and was just wondering if this article is true then maybe I should rethink and just stay in a trade?

I am sorry to hear that you have had to ask for lower prices, Is this common, for construction trades to undercut each other?

Thanks for the opinions, though and unless I am mistaken I believe there is no licence to be a "Sheetmetalworker" over in Oz?

Cheers
D