Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should the Sheilas be let loose on the front line?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Should women be allowed to fight on the front line?
Yes
54.55%
No
45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Should the Sheilas be let loose on the front line?

Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:51 pm
Badge

Originally posted by WBB
quick point, they were not better soldiers, they were in their own backyard and used guerilla tacticts similar to what we see being used in (urban) baghdad today.

you cannot beat an invisible enemy.
agreed. incidentally, the forerunner of the British SAS showed that they could win a guerilla war in Malaya in the 1950s, and that they could win the hearts and minds, fighting in someone else's back yard. And the Aussie one is based on the British one.

BM

Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well you´re also got the problem that in "War" you have rules of engagement, now the War is now not in process, you have polititians involved, so you can´t shoot anyone who holds a rifle......now you are fighting Terrorists.....different ball game now.

Dolphin Girl seems correct in some of her statements, so now the importance is intelligence gathering in fighting the enemy not brute force.....her Statement about women being often better at hitting the target is also right, apparently the British are one of the worst shooters, and that came from the mouth of a Regiment guy who is an instructor in firearms....so women do have their good points......and I also know that the 14 int corp uses quite a few women, but in Iraq, the army needs to get rid of the politicians otherwise anyone shot the shooter will be having to justify their actions to a bloody inquest....

Originally posted by WBB
quick point, they were not better soldiers, they were in their own backyard and used guerilla tacticts similar to what we see being used in (urban) baghdad today.

you cannot beat an invisible enemy.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:02 am
Badge

14 int eh??

hmmmm...an interesting little unit.. by all accounts the driving course is a killer!!

Badge

Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
In the Boar war in South Africa I beleive the British soldiers killed the civillian women and children in cold blood to help demoralise the "enemy" soldiers.
Where did you get this crap from?, it did not happen. The British put women & children in 'concentration' camps in a misguided attempt to protect them from the effects of their scorched earth policy & from marauding black tribesmen. Unfortunately a lot of them died from disease & starvation.

The Americans lost the Vietnam war because they did not have a strategic goal. If they had bombed 'economic' targets (harbours, power stations, railways) at the beginning, then the war would have been won in a few years. The reason they didn't was that they were afraid of drawing the Soviets or Chinese into the war.

Putting women in front line combat units is & always will be, stupid.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mercedes
Well you´re also got the problem that in "War" you have rules of engagement, now the War is now not in process, you have polititians involved, so you can´t shoot anyone who holds a rifle......now you are fighting Terrorists.....different ball game now.

Dolphin Girl seems correct in some of her statements, so now the importance is intelligence gathering in fighting the enemy not brute force.....her Statement about women being often better at hitting the target is also right, apparently the British are one of the worst shooters, and that came from the mouth of a Regiment guy who is an instructor in firearms....so women do have their good points......and I also know that the 14 int corp uses quite a few women, but in Iraq, the army needs to get rid of the politicians otherwise anyone shot the shooter will be having to justify their actions to a bloody inquest....
Bring in Marshal Law and dictatorships. Pinochet had it right all along.

BTW Dolphingirl the it is the Boer war. Obelix finished off the Boars.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:40 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Where did you get this crap from?, it did not happen. The British put women & children in 'concentration' camps in a misguided attempt to protect them from the effects of their scorched earth policy & from marauding black tribesmen. Unfortunately a lot of them died from disease & starvation.
I think you are both wrong. In my history lessons in SA I was told that the Brits were trying to starve out the Boers, and so they had to put all the women etc into camps so that they didn`t feed the fighters. The camps were really bad, and many died.

http://www.boer.co.za/boerwar/hellkamp.htm

The Brits hoped to starve the Boers that way, and they did... it worked. They definitely couldn`t beat them by fighting, as it was a geurilla war and the Boers (rock-spiders) were better shots.

I don`t think women should be actively fighting in a regular army though, as I said earlier.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody spell checker, I had this lovely History lesson a year ago from a South African guy who took me to a place near Durban - know I should have made a note of it on my map, but didnt have one on me and he was ex SA forces and it was his history lesson that was rammed down my throat......nothing was mentioned about concentration camps only that the Brit soldiers killed the wives and families of the Boerers......probably wasn´t documented, doesn´t look very honourable does it..........watching Braveheart, didnt they do the same there in good ol Scotland....

Must admit agree with no women on the frontline, actually lets just stick the Politicians there instead, I´m sure wars would end by lunchtime....

Isn´t there a dictatorship happening in UK at the moment

Dolphin Girl....

Originally posted by bondipom
Bring in Marshal Law and dictatorships. Pinochet had it right all along.

BTW Dolphingirl the it is the Boer war. Obelix finished off the Boars.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:15 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

The English have probably got the worst historical record for treatment of other people (if they thought they could get away with it)..... Irish, Scottish, Afrikaner, Zulu, etc.

Then again, the Spanish (South America/Mexico) and various others weren`t much better.

The way of the world I`m afraid.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stormz
The English have probably got the worst historical record for treatment of other people (if they thought they could get away with it)..... Irish, Scottish, Afrikaner, Zulu, etc.

Then again, the Spanish (South America/Mexico) and various others weren`t much better.

The way of the world I`m afraid.
They also gave the world great countries like Australia, NZ, Canada, South Africa, USA etc. Britain has got a lot to be proud of too.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
actually lets just stick the Politicians there instead, I´m sure wars would end by lunchtime....
Now THAT I will agree with

Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:37 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Ok guys....im on 56k now so could'nt be arsed to read the whole thread....did about 5 pages, so im sorry if anyone covered this aspect.

Now....what happens if you have ladies on the front line, and one of the boys casts his loving eyes over her, she stares back, a bit of Barry white plays in the background? Could this not lead to difficult situations in a frontline environment?

You would also question why women want to join the frontline. If its for the right reasons....then fine, but if its a mad feminist who just wants to "prove" they are just as good as men then surely they could prove a liability?
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Ok guys....im on 56k now so could'nt be arsed to read the whole thread....did about 5 pages, so im sorry if anyone covered this aspect.

Now....what happens if you have ladies on the front line, and one of the boys casts his loving eyes over her, she stares back, a bit of Barry white plays in the background? Could this not lead to difficult situations in a frontline environment?

You would also question why women want to join the frontline. If its for the right reasons....then fine, but if its a mad feminist who just wants to "prove" they are just as good as men then surely they could prove a liability?
You have to question everyones reasons for being on the frontline. Not sure what wars have Barry White singing in the background. Was he popular in Iraq?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Define "Feminist". If a woman meets the standards that are set for the men or for the job, and is capable, able and professional and wants the opportunity of being able to fight for her country why should she not be able to along with her team mates. It doesn´t matter what gender you are I would imagine seeing your mates die would not be moral boosting for anyone.

If the guy´s brains are in his pants then surely he is more of a liability not her??? There are now homosexuals in the forces, are they a liability also then, if he fancies another man??? I know the motto of the Army is not to leave his mates behind, but I think it doesn´t mean his backside.... .

This morning I was talking to someone who has just come back from Iraq and he has just left the forces after 20 years, he left because he felt they were not supported by the British Government and certainly would not want to go back to Iraq. More and more people are leaving because they are disallusioned about the support that they are receiving from the Government, I would have thought that would be a serious liability to all concerned. Secondly because they are getting so many wanting to leave the British forces they are not allowed to officially leave and are on standby to go to Iraq, regardless of whether they want to or not..... Low morale I would have thought was so much dangerous than having females on the frontline.....who wants to die for a Government who doesn´t look after them or their families should they die, regardless of their sex.

Originally posted by PeteY