Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I use an agent or not?

Should I use an agent or not?

Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should I use an agent or not?

I'm on the verge of applying to emigrate to Oz and wondered if I should use an agent or not.

I emigrated to Oz in 1988 by myself (on my own AND without an agent) but now I'll be going with my other half and our two children. ( I stayed 18 months last time)

We aren't actually married but have been living together for about 15 years, will that make a difference to anything?

Many thanks
Jeff
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:54 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I use an agent or not?

Originally Posted by jazzys
I'm on the verge of applying to emigrate to Oz and wondered if I should use an agent or not.

I emigrated to Oz in 1988 by myself (on my own AND without an agent) but now I'll be going with my other half and our two children. ( I stayed 18 months last time)

We aren't actually married but have been living together for about 15 years, will that make a difference to anything?

Many thanks
Jeff
IF you've done it once without an agent then do it again , save the ££££

All the info it on here and the DIMIA web site !
Old Nov 17th 2005, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme

The only thing is, the process was very different back in 1988. From memory, you did not have to apply to TRA or anything, you sent everything straight off to Australia, and everything was processed so much quicker.
I would think if you are confident that you can put everything together yourself then go for it, but if you would like the reassurance of a professional or have a complex case then using an agent could be the way to go. I know people who have done it both ways and have no regrets.
Good luck with your application.

Amanda
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:39 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

If we managed it without agents anyone can!

Louise
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme

It was easier back then, and you was single, now with partner, and kids will be more complicated, especially as you are not married, have to prove de facto relationship. And it is so complicated. It could make things easier having an agent.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I had a straight forward case but opted to use an agent for added peace of mind. In my eyes it was money very well spent.

I used ASA, www.australia-migration.com.

Definitely worth checking out.

Cheers

SS
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

We used an agent as our case was pretty complicated and im sure we would not be here if we had not found a good agent.We used George Lomard and he was great and in our case it really was money well spent.

If you have a more straight foward case im sure you could do it yourself but when you consider the amount of money it costs to get a visa the extra to pay for an agent is not that huge if it means you get the result you want with few complcations.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

We've opted for an agent 1st. Contact Migration.
To be honest I doubt we would have got a positive TRA without them, but with them it came in 7 days!
We have had excellent service and their full attention.
We have had them check our full visa application, and they picked up on one or two points they wanted us to clarify this week prior to submitting to DIMIA

To us it was peace of mind, and a better chance .

angela
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:48 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

We opted not to use an agent. It was complicated enough working out which visa type to apply on - let alone then which agent to use.

I've heard it takes more time and effort doing it yourself but at least things are in your own hands then.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I suppose it is in your own hands, but I think it also depends on how quickly you want this, and how much time you have to dedicate to it.
For us the agent has been a god send - I agree very expensive though in real terms.

But we have just had a load of hassle with his kids from ex marriage and they have given us some options to get round it.

I do admire those who apply themselves - just wasn't right for us this time
We got knocked back from NZ application last year, and year before bought a house in America, but were unsuccessful with green cards so its cost us!!
thought we were doing something wrong
angela
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

OK so its upto me to decide, but heres a couple of questions.

Can an agent make the whole process happen quicker?

And what do you mean by prove De facto?

Many thanks