Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should i tell a smal fib for a tenancy application?

should i tell a smal fib for a tenancy application?

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

RikoDriko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should i tell a smal fib for a tenancy application?

Hi

We have just moved to Sydney and are in a bit of a quandary ... storm in a teacup really....

We have found a nice flat to stay in and are filling out the tenancy application... the application is asking if we got 100% of our deposit back fro our rented flat in brighton, but in fact our landlord took £100 (out of a £1000) off for some minor redecorative and cleaning work...

We do have a glowing reference from them though.

So the question is - should we lie on the form, and pray that they wont call or email the UK seeing as our written ref is OK.

Or should we go full disclosure?

would a letting agent automatically reject an application if we did not get 100% of our previous deposit back ?

any advice appreciated....

cheers

Richard.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should i tell a smal fib for a tenancy application?

If you got a reference from them, I would probably keep quiet.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:46 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RikoDriko
Hi

We have just moved to Sydney and are in a bit of a quandary ... storm in a teacup really....

We have found a nice flat to stay in and are filling out the tenancy application... the application is asking if we got 100% of our deposit back fro our rented flat in brighton, but in fact our landlord took £100 (out of a £1000) off for some minor redecorative and cleaning work...

We do have a glowing reference from them though.

So the question is - should we lie on the form, and pray that they wont call or email the UK seeing as our written ref is OK.

Or should we go full disclosure?

would a letting agent automatically reject an application if we did not get 100% of our previous deposit back ?

any advice appreciated....

cheers

Richard.
The refund of deposit issue is interpreted by agents differently, and indeed operates differently in different states. Key thing is not to tick yes I did not get all my deposit back, without any explanation.
I would probably say that, with agreement, your landlord in the UK kept GBP100 for a final clean, and here is my reference from them. This should not raise any alarm bells and has the benefit of honesty.
The likelihood of them checking in the UK is minimal if you have a written reference.
Good luck
Scotty
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Its unlikely a dopey letting agent will work outside such hours to accomodate the 11 hour time difference let alone have the phone hooked up for international dialing.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:11 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Its unlikely a dopey letting agent will work outside such hours to accomodate the 11 hour time difference let alone have the phone hooked up for international dialing.
I'd fib , and if any comeback, say oh yeah, i forgot about that.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:03 am
Just Joined

RikoDriko is an unknown quantity at this point

hehe ... thanks all ... ill take all that on board and then decide what to tell the dopey letting agent ...
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Say you've never rented before.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do you know of any agents capable of calling interstate let alone international
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:16 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Do you know of any agents capable of calling interstate let alone international
mine didn't even realise the person who signed my reference had a last name same as mine and didnt bother to question any relation.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

fib, its hard enough finding a place in Sydney. In some places any slight negative on your app will result in you being rejected.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

omit - just so long as you wouldn't be beating yourself up in the unlikely chance you do get caught out