Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I take my car with me?

Should I take my car with me?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Should I take my car with me?

I thought I would have a look at the prices of cars today and found a site mentioned here in a post. I had the shock of my life to replace my car that is worth maybe £1,500 - £2,000 I am going to have to pay around $15,000.

My car is a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 diesel LWB Super Exceed, has done only 100,000 km and has a full service history. I have owned it for 4 years and before that it had one JaJapanesewner, everything that has needed doing to it I have had done. So all in all its a excellent car.

Now here is the question, is it worth taking it with me? Has anyone done this recently or in the process of doing it? Are there any gotchas? oh and how much did the whole thing cost?

Sorry for so many questions but you know how it is.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Should I take my car with me?

Is ther not anyone who has any experience here?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edie209
Is ther not anyone who has any experience here?
You asked the first question at about 1am our time and then whinged you hadn't got an answer before 8am...!!!

The general concensus is that it's not worth doing unless you have something very special... and I wouldn't think your ride is special enough...! You'll have shipping costs and modification costs to get it on the road here in Aus and then it will always be seriously undervalued here because of being a non-standard import...

Use the search function because there's been plenty of threads on this before...
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrWho
You asked the first question at about 1am our time and then whinged you hadn't got an answer before 8am...!!!

Sorry David, I had searched and came back with loads of threads but wanted something more specific. I have now found something that should help. just incase anyone else is interested its here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458572

Thanks

Last edited by edie209; Jun 5th 2008 at 9:13 am.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:28 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We phoned the shipping agent and he explained the costs....

the price you paid for the car + the shipping cost+10% tax(which you pay) = Total

Then another 10% of the Total I thought that was a bit of a cheek but

So initially you pay 10% then they add the shipping cost to that total and charge you another 10%.

Unless you bought the car before 1998 you get no depreciation it's the price that YOU paid when you bought it!

It's sooo not worth it!

Ali x

Last edited by alipally; Jun 5th 2008 at 9:31 am.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that, in that case you are right its not worth it.

I paid £10,000 when I bought the car second hand over 4 years ago now but here in the UK I'm only gong to get around £1,500 - £2,000 if I sold it.

gutted really

So anyone in Oz now what would I get for $4,000 - $6,000 with 7 seats? are their any bargain cars to be aware of?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:06 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

I paid £10,000 when I bought the car second hand over 4 years ago now but here in the UK I'm only gong to get around £1,500 - £2,000 if I sold it.

gutted really

So anyone in Oz now what would I get for $4,000 - $6,000 with 7 seats? are their any bargain cars to be aware of?
Check out ...................
www.autotrader.com.au
www.redbook.com.au

I don't think you'll get anything much with 7 seats for $5000? Maybe an older Mitsubishi Nimbus or a Toyota Tarago. Try a search and see what you come up with.

Personally, the Toyota Tarrago's can get expensive once they get a bit long in the tooth.... I would go for the Nimbus as I have friend who has one a loves it. Just watch out for older models which were imported into Oz without Air Conditioning.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

gutted really

To be fair, a lot of that value has been taken out becuase of the situation in the UK with cost of Fuel and the potential that the annual RFL could spiral out of control.

If things were as they were 2 or 3 year ago re fuel costs etc, you would probably still be getting around 4-5k (or 8-10k AUD) for you vehicle..
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ckgreenall
To be fair, a lot of that value has been taken out becuase of the situation in the UK with cost of Fuel and the potential that the annual RFL could spiral out of control.

If things were as they were 2 or 3 year ago re fuel costs etc, you would probably still be getting around 4-5k (or 8-10k AUD) for you vehicle..
Thats such a true statement.

Anyway been doing some more searching for cars and I have found a few now that would suit in Oz without taking mine only thing that concerns me is the Mileage 200,000km average it seems how long does a car go on for in Australia?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

I was chatting to an auto electrician who came to do some work on my car a while ago and got chatting cause he had travelled over the waters 9 years ago and he told me that most people will be wasting their money bringing their cars over because they are not made for the heat, something to do with the radiator, the same car here has a much bigger fitting than the same car in England and many people end up paying out when they arrive cause their cars have overheated (although I think it might be more to do with 4x4's) you'll have to excuse me cause I wasn't paying much attention as cars don't interest me that much
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:44 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thats such a true statement.

Anyway been doing some more searching for cars and I have found a few now that would suit in Oz without taking mine only thing that concerns me is the Mileage 200,000km average it seems how long does a car go on for in Australia?
The mileages are much higher here, but also probably much kinder on the vehicles... Long distances at a steady speed is easy going rather than constant stop start stuff... You want some sort of history with the car and make sure you pay for an independent inspection... If you buy from a dealer any warranty you get will be worthless... Pretty sure here in NSW once the vehicle has over 160,000 Kms on it they don't have to offer any warranty... not sure about other states...
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

I thought I would have a look at the prices of cars today and found a site mentioned here in a post. I had the shock of my life to replace my car that is worth maybe £1,500 - £2,000 I am going to have to pay around $15,000.

My car is a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 diesel LWB Super Exceed, has done only 100,000 km and has a full service history. I have owned it for 4 years and before that it had one JaJapanesewner, everything that has needed doing to it I have had done. So all in all its a excellent car.

Now here is the question, is it worth taking it with me? Has anyone done this recently or in the process of doing it? Are there any gotchas? oh and how much did the whole thing cost?

As the pound ererodes gainst the A$ its one thing imune to the exchange rate
And the age old saying better the devil you know
worth takeing if you will be keeping it
Have owned for a good length
has AC a must
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

So, has anybody got any experience of the Mitsubishi Delicia?

I understand that it is a Pajero with a MPV body on top?

Are they any good? they seem reasonably cheap.

Chris
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ckgreenall
So, has anybody got any experience of the Mitsubishi Delicia?

I understand that it is a Pajero with a MPV body on top?

Are they any good? they seem reasonably cheap.

Chris

I have a little experience but if you take a look here http://www.pocuk.com/ its the Pajero owners club BUT they have a Delicia section.

As I said my dad had one and I have driven it didn't like it as much as the Pajero but in some ways it is more pratical. I guess its down to preferance.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

We have just done this with our Misibushi L200 double cab which we had owned for 4 years from new and its a great car. We did not want to buy two new cars (I have bought a small Honda since arriving). Second hand cars are so expensive here and to be honest you dont know what you are getting so we are really glad we have brought ours and so far so good. The final part Victoria roads registration is next week but we have had roadworthiness / VASS inspection and all where fine. We did not get charged for steam cleaning and the cost is approx £2,500 and £3,000 to get your car brought over and then on the road (can only give estimate as we havent done the final bit yet).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.