Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go?

Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I would have thought VB was a compelling reason not to live here.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

I said OK, not good! It's better than that bloody Fosters that they keep trying to kid us is made down there!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL the young emergency doctor that attended my mum yesterday was chatting about his 12 years in Melbourne and why he and his Aussie wife returned to UK - first reason he gave (and I'm sure tongue was in cheek) and then followed family, friends, countryside and career - was the beer!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL the young emergency doctor that attended my mum yesterday was chatting about his 12 years in Melbourne and why he and his Aussie wife returned to UK - first reason he gave (and I'm sure tongue was in cheek) and then followed family, friends, countryside and career - was the beer!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
We tried NSW twice (we have family there). What I really didn't like was everyone continually going on about it being the best country in the world to live in! I found that very annoying!
The adoption of what seems like the American way of life and language e.g. -
Inundated - flooded, Power Outage - Power cut, Lip Synching - Miming, etc. wouldn't suit me. The TV channels are quite poor as well.
Outside the big cities you can't go out to a restaurant for a meal in the evening, as they all close early (everyone goes to the local bowls club to eat, drink and play the "One Armed Bandits". It's like going to a working mans' club).
These are just a few of the things that "got under my skin".
Then there is the unstable climate. With floods in Queensland and bush fires in NSW (it was 49 deg. in Sydney one day this year!). I saw many people on TV, sobbing their hearts out, because they had just finished rebuilding their homes, destroyed by floods two years ogo, paid for by the insurance companies (who then refused to insure them) and destroyed again in January this year (and the bush fires, as you know, have just happened in the beautiful Blue Mountains).
I also think that the mining industry is about to take a hit, as Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) have got together to exploit South Africas minerals!
Australia doesn't seem like the best country in the world to me, but that's just my take on it. It is a long way to go to find out that you have made a mistake!
The "Victoria Bitter" is OK though!!!!!!!!
I grew up in Australia and always hated this 'best country in the world mate' nonsense, these people had usually never left their State let alone country but just swallow the hype. Its an extremely American attitude. Nowhere is for everyone. I came to England for a few weeks a couple of years ago and knew it was the place I wanted to live, our kids love it and we have a great life but for others it is the opposite.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:17 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
I said OK, not good! It's better than that bloody Fosters that they keep trying to kid us is made down there!
Every time I go back to the UK I am amazed by the fact that just about every pub you walk into sells Fosters - I can't remember the last time I saw it being offered in an Aussie pub! Why Poms drink it when there are such a lot of good draught beers available is inexplicable.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I go back to the UK I am amazed by the fact that just about every pub you walk into sells Fosters - I can't remember the last time I saw it being offered in an Aussie pub! Why Poms drink it when there are such a lot of good draught beers available is inexplicable.
I'm Australian born and bred and I've seen Australians drinking it once, at a teenage party over 30 years ago because it was the only thing the parents wouldn't miss when the son stole it from their bar fridge.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:14 am
Banned

Its not in our locals. Fosters here is just another lager and isnt even owned by the Aussies over here.