Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Stay or Should I Go!!!?

Should I Stay or Should I Go!!!?

Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Should I Stay or Should I Go!!!?

Planning a reccie next year, but been offered a job at Perth Airport. Money's quite good, so starting to think about just going for it!!
Problem is we don't want to sell the house here(UK) as the current market is still poor.
So main question is.... who out there has went to OZ and let out their property? Is it a hassle? Will it cover mortgage payments?
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all
Default Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go!!!?

I am moving back to Perth but have no intention of selling my house just yet. Why? Because at the moment my mortgage payments (am on interest only as I had always planned to let it out eventually) are so low that even if it wasn't let I could cover it no problem. I have had a rent appraisal and the rental will cover it 5 fold with enough spare for insurance and agent fees. And although I am an Aussie, I do not want to rule out coming back to the Uk to live as I have business here so keeping the house would mean less of a headache if I needed to move back.

The only time I would sell were if I can see it would be a struggle to afford the payments or if I desperately needed the equity out of the property (this is something you may need to help with the deposit of a house in Oz).

Letting a property is not that hard. Find yourself a good agent and they will manage it all for you. We have 2 other properties we let out and the agents are great. Also put aside at least 3 months worth of mortgage payments to allow for rental voids that way you have a bit of room to move if there is a void.

Perhaps when getting a rental evaluation also get a market appraisal so that you can weigh up the two. Find out how long it takes for houses to sell in your area.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

eldoran is an unknown quantity at this point

We're just in the process of renting our flat out... we travel to Brisbane next Thursday on a 457 We've dropped our mortgage to an 'interest free' for a while, although, the rental value we've been quoted more than covers the mortgage, insurance etc. We've also found a good rental agent on a 'fully managed' basis for a monthly payment of 10% of the rent collected.

It 'seems' fairly straight forward...but ask me again in 6 months time
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Planning a reccie next year, but been offered a job at Perth Airport. Money's quite good, so starting to think about just going for it!!
Problem is we don't want to sell the house here(UK) as the current market is still poor.
So main question is.... who out there has went to OZ and let out their property? Is it a hassle? Will it cover mortgage payments?
Thanks in advance
Go for it!
just make sure that you use a very reputable rental agent!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Superb!!!

What job did you gain?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Superb!!!

What job did you gain?
Thanks for the replies all.

The job is a Licenced Aircraft Engineer. Don't know much about the company who offered me the position though.
I had this idea of going to OZ debt free. A nice clean break. But it seems things never work out the way you envisage them!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Seize the day my friend!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

The job is a Licenced Aircraft Engineer. Don't know much about the company who offered me the position though.
I had this idea of going to OZ debt free. A nice clean break. But it seems things never work out the way you envisage them!
Ohh ohh,thats what i want to retrain in
Any inside help?
Who services @ melbourne airport?
Who the ehll can i speak to about being a mature yts!!!!

Cheers
jase
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ohh ohh,thats what i want to retrain in
Any inside help?
Who services @ melbourne airport?
Who the ehll can i speak to about being a mature yts!!!!

Cheers
jase
Are you planning to train in UK or OZ? What's your background?
Sorry my contacts in aviation don't reach to Melbourne
I know John Holland (JHAS) do a lot of third party work, but not sure where!!
Do you access the airmech website much. That may help.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I brought a book on aviation eng/mechanics

I know someone who works for Rolls royce and is based at tolouse in france and travels the world sorting problems on the engines.
I have never met him just off my motorbike forum,he has invited me to Airbus in france to "help him" for a few days,see what the craic is

But he only has contacts in sydney and not melbourne,so i just wanna get my foot in the door and learn!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I brought a book on aviation eng/mechanics

I know someone who works for Rolls royce and is based at tolouse in france and travels the world sorting problems on the engines.
I have never met him just off my motorbike forum,he has invited me to Airbus in france to "help him" for a few days,see what the craic is

But he only has contacts in sydney and not melbourne,so i just wanna get my foot in the door and learn!
Was in Toulouse for a week doing my Airbus simulator training a few years back. Sat in the town square people watching and getting pissed most of the time. It was great .
What's your timescale for OZ? If it's a few years it might be worth doing an HNC/D in Aeronautical Engineering before you go. Not the best time to be looking for work in this industry
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Going in 2 months dude!!!

Im a skilled plasterer for the last 15 years and also shop fitting etc etc in my arsenal of skillz to pay the bills,oh and the wifes work

I will try and source plastering/rendering etc etc first and foremost,but id like a change of jobs,so dont mind retraining!!

Toulouse for me in a few weeks,i even can tow a A380 airbus there he said lmao
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:02 pm
Puk
Just Joined

Puk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nelbhoy,

Would you be so kind to send me a PM? I'm curious about a few things and it's off topic.

I'm an LAE as well with a 175 visa, looking for a job from within the EU. It's not easy, but it seems that you had a job very quickly! How did you do that?

Btw, we have to sell our house as well and want it sold before we go
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

If the company is NA then I may be able to put you in contact with someone who has worked for them.
We came over two years ago and rented out our UK house with an agent. Still original tenants in place and they plan on staying another 3 yrs. Only headache is Oz tax return!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Puk
Hi Nelbhoy,

Would you be so kind to send me a PM? I'm curious about a few things and it's off topic.

I'm an LAE as well with a 175 visa, looking for a job from within the EU. It's not easy, but it seems that you had a job very quickly! How did you do that?

Btw, we have to sell our house as well and want it sold before we go
You can PM me if you want Puk, or post in this thread, I don't mind.
Check out aviationjobsearch. What's your types?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.