Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I stay............?

Should I stay............?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:17 am
Just Joined

buckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the rough
Default Should I stay............?

Hi guys, newbie here! I stumbled across the website by accident, its great to finally talk to some proper British people!

I just wanted to share a few details of our (mine and boyfriends) journey over the past 18 months and see if anyone else has experienced similar?

I work for a big international company and in October 2005 I was asked to come to Sydney Australia to start a new sales department. At the time I was living in a rented flat in Harlow Essex where I had been for 4 years just plodding along happily and prior to that I lived and was born in Milton keynes. I was living with my boyfriend of nearly 3 years and a dog and cat. I discussed everything with him, we spoke to friends and family asking advice etc. We had never been to Australia and our view on the offer was, 'we are so young, what a stupid opportunity to pass up. If we dont like it well come back...easy right!' However I think we truly believed we were going to come to Australia to stay...forever and start a new life. The advice from friends and family was just that also, 'go it will be great'. 'Ive been and youll love it!' 'Dont miss this opportunity'.

So finally we gave the ay ok to my powers to be and the visa application started. We decided to take our dog and cat as we are very attached to them and wouldnt part with them. We went though the paperwork for their tests, booked flights, completed quarantine booking etc. Finally our visas were accepted and April was fast approaching. The animals were due to fly on the 3rd I think and us on the 5th. We packed them off and said goodbye...one of the hardest things Ive ever done!

Sorry if this is long winded...dont mean to go on..honest!

So anyway we arrived in Parramatta Sydney no problems. We had an apartment paid for for a month with my company so checked in and unpacked. We visited the pets and all was well! The first month was exciting and fun, maybe because I didnt have to work or pay bills!! My boyfriend finally found a job after about 6 weeks, for some reason I expected him to get one straight away no problems due to the 'shortage of workers' but it wasnt that simple!!

We then needed to find a house to rent and ended up moving to Carlingford NSW. This is where the 'honeymoon' period ended. Reality set in, we picked the pets up from quarantine, all well although over the next few months my dog became depressed - wouldnt walk, but just sleep all the time. I know she was very bored in quarantine and I hated putting her though it, just contained in a small box for 24 hours a day with little contact, I hated visiting as I never wanted to leave!
My job wasnt what I expected and the job decription had been misleading! My pay which I was lead to believe was the same if not better than the UK,was actually a huge pay cut. My boyfriend wasnt earning much and we at times find it hard to make ends meet.
Then I didnt feel right. I was homesick and the funny thing was I was the one before we left saying yeah throw causion to the wind, lets go and my boyfriends going yeah but what about this and this...he seems to be coping much better?!

Anyway this was over a year ago, in the past months things have gotten better, then a little worse then better and thats how it goes. Unfortunately my job has now been made redundant and due to that a few months ago we were having heart attacks at the thought of coming back to the UK, due to the expense and starting again, again in such a short term! Thankfully my boyfriends company has offered to sponsor us so we can stay longer.
I must admit that if things were easier eg if it was just me, I would be back on the plane to the UK in a shot! But my boyfriend wants to stay and I hate the thought of having to transport my pets back home again, oh did I mention I also have another dog now too! I also worry that should I go back, what I left behind is no longer there and again I am in limbo? Plus we have spoken to family about it and they seem so disappointed, it makes my heart sink.
I do miss the UK and as I have noticed, it seems to be a popular thing missed is the pubs! Im not a booze hound dont get me wrong but I miss me locals and the relaxed atmosohere they offer! I also miss the countryside, I never thought I would, not being much of a country bird but Aussie countryside just isnt the same. The country they have here is either dead flat ground with nothingness or so bloody hilly and swampted with trees you end up have a trek rather than a nice summer walk!
I miss frends and family way way more than I thought I would, but I guess when you move this distnace you realise perhaps you were more dependant than you thought, and its not money im talking about its emotonal dependence.
I miss the UK accent of common old London town and at times I catch myself with an Aussie twang and I hate it! I speak to family who comment on it all the time but I cant help it! When I hear myself come out with 'how you going' or 'heaps' I just cringe!
It bugs me that people here dont seem very pet friendly, I live in rented housing but its not allowed to have dogs inside! I do anyway as theres no way Ill leave my dogs outside! Also theres hardly any dog friendly beaches, which I hate, people can be far messier than dogs! I cant take them in to cafes, pubs or on the train, I feel so limited!
I dont feel like I fit in here and have found it hard to make proper friends. I feel like an immigrant (which I know I am duh) but I hate that feeling of not belonging.
Anyway we decided to move to the coast hoping this might change things but it hasnt, in fact I think it may have made them worse!
Some days I sit and wish I had a time machine to go back and decide not to come but then my positive side kicks in and says 'yeah but what an experience and youll thank youself in the long run'. Im not sure what I think anymore and due to that I kind of hide my feelings as Im sure my boyfriend is sick to death with me, 'I want to go' then 'I want to stay', 'I want to go' then 'erm na ill stay'.
I now know I do not want to be here forever and we have kind of agreed that anyway, so we are going thorough with the new visa application, but I sometimes wonder, am I just biding time?

Ah damb stuck in a rut, or up shite creek with no paddle.

Sorry guys thats it my rant is over. I do not mean to depress anyone or to 'down' Australia, just to share our journey and ask for any advice should you have any?

Just a note...as some have already mentioned...if you are planning to move abroad please ask yourself why and what it is you want out of life? If some of the most meaningful things to you remain where you are, why move from them? If you have pets but do not know where the end of the raod is for you, please do reconsider as a big move like this has effects on them also. Be ready to 'start again' and is obvious but actually harder than I ever expected.

Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should I stay............?

Originally Posted by buckinghamshire lass
Hi guys, newbie here! I stumbled across the website by accident, its great to finally talk to some proper British people!

I just wanted to share a few details of our (mine and boyfriends) journey over the past 18 months and see if anyone else has experienced similar?

I work for a big international company and in October 2005 I was asked to come to Sydney Australia to start a new sales department. At the time I was living in a rented flat in Harlow Essex where I had been for 4 years just plodding along happily and prior to that I lived and was born in Milton keynes. I was living with my boyfriend of nearly 3 years and a dog and cat. I discussed everything with him, we spoke to friends and family asking advice etc. We had never been to Australia and our view on the offer was, 'we are so young, what a stupid opportunity to pass up. If we dont like it well come back...easy right!' However I think we truly believed we were going to come to Australia to stay...forever and start a new life. The advice from friends and family was just that also, 'go it will be great'. 'Ive been and youll love it!' 'Dont miss this opportunity'.

So finally we gave the ay ok to my powers to be and the visa application started. We decided to take our dog and cat as we are very attached to them and wouldnt part with them. We went though the paperwork for their tests, booked flights, completed quarantine booking etc. Finally our visas were accepted and April was fast approaching. The animals were due to fly on the 3rd I think and us on the 5th. We packed them off and said goodbye...one of the hardest things Ive ever done!

So anyway we arrived in Parramatta Sydney no problems. We had an apartment paid for for a month with my company so checked in and unpacked. We visited the pets and all was well! The first month was exciting and fun, maybe because I didnt have to work or pay bills!! My boyfriend finally found a job after about 6 weeks, for some reason I expected him to get one straight away no problems due to the 'shortage of workers' but it wasnt that simple!!

We then needed to find a house to rent and ended up moving to Carlingford NSW. This is where the 'honeymoon' period ended. Reality set in, we picked the pets up from quarantine, all well although over the next few months my dog became depressed - wouldnt walk, but just sleep all the time. I know she was very bored in quarantine and I hated putting her though it, just contained in a small box for 24 hours a day with little contact, I hated visiting as I never wanted to leave!
My job wasnt what I expected and the job decription had been misleading! My pay which I was lead to believe was the same if not better than the UK,was actually a huge pay cut. My boyfriend wasnt earning much and we at times find it hard to make ends meet.
Then I didnt feel right. I was homesick and the funny thing was I was the one before we left saying yeah throw causion to the wind, lets go and my boyfriends going yeah but what about this and this...he seems to be coping much better?!

Anyway this was over a year ago, in the past months things have gotten better, then a little worse then better and thats how it goes. Unfortunately my job has now been made redundant and due to that a few months ago we were having heart attacks at the thought of coming back to the UK, due to the expense and starting again, again in such a short term! Thankfully my boyfriends company has offered to sponsor us so we can stay longer.
I must admit that if things were easier eg if it was just me, I would be back on the plane to the UK in a shot! But my boyfriend wants to stay and I hate the thought of having to transport my pets back home again, oh did I mention I also have another dog now too! I also worry that should I go back, what I left behind is no longer there and again I am in limbo? Plus we have spoken to family about it and they seem so disappointed, it makes my heart sink.
I do miss the UK and as I have noticed, it seems to be a popular thing missed is the pubs! Im not a booze hound dont get me wrong but I miss me locals and the relaxed atmosohere they offer! I also miss the countryside, I never thought I would, not being much of a country bird but Aussie countryside just isnt the same. The country they have here is either dead flat ground with nothingness or so bloody hilly and swampted with trees you end up have a trek rather than a nice summer walk!
I miss frends and family way way more than I thought I would, but I guess when you move this distnace you realise perhaps you were more dependant than you thought, and its not money im talking about its emotonal dependence.
I miss the UK accent of common old London town and at times I catch myself with an Aussie twang and I hate it! I speak to family who comment on it all the time but I cant help it! When I hear myself come out with 'how you going' or 'heaps' I just cringe!
It bugs me that people here dont seem very pet friendly, I live in rented housing but its not allowed to have dogs inside! I do anyway as theres no way Ill leave my dogs outside! Also theres hardly any dog friendly beaches, which I hate, people can be far messier than dogs! I cant take them in to cafes, pubs or on the train, I feel so limited!
I dont feel like I fit in here and have found it hard to make proper friends. I feel like an immigrant (which I know I am duh) but I hate that feeling of not belonging.
Anyway we decided to move to the coast hoping this might change things but it hasnt, in fact I think it may have made them worse!
Some days I sit and wish I had a time machine to go back and decide not to come but then my positive side kicks in and says 'yeah but what an experience and youll thank youself in the long run'. Im not sure what I think anymore and due to that I kind of hide my feelings as Im sure my boyfriend is sick to death with me, 'I want to go' then 'I want to stay', 'I want to go' then 'erm na ill stay'.
I now know I do not want to be here forever and we have kind of agreed that anyway, so we are going thorough with the new visa application, but I sometimes wonder, am I just biding time?

Sorry guys thats it my rant is over. I do not mean to depress anyone or to 'down' Australia, just to share our journey and ask for any advice should you have any?

Just a note...as some have already mentioned...if you are planning to move abroad please ask yourself why and what it is you want out of life? If some of the most meaningful things to you remain where you are, why move from them? If you have pets but do not know where the end of the raod is for you, please do reconsider as a big move like this has effects on them also. Be ready to 'start again' and is obvious but actually harder than I ever expected.

Great post, sorry you are a bit up in the air at the moment, have you tried chatting to your boyfriend and telling him how you feel (don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs). It may make him see things in a different light, you never know he may be putting a brave face on things for your sake too! You have to be honest with him if you havent already as your relationship is much more important than what country you live in! Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep your chin up.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:42 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing that and taking the time to post.

Hope it all works out for you all.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Should I stay............?

Be true to yourself and follow your heart, whatever you decide will be the right choice !!

Keep smiling

Donna & Pete.
x
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you decide what's best for you so that you can move on and not waste years being somewhere you don't want to be. Life is for living, so get on and do what you want
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

and ask for any advice should you have any?
Go back to the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi m'dear

well dont for posting such an honest post.
Cant believe you're company made u redundant after getting you to relocate - that is unbelievable.
It very much sounds like you want to go home, alot. And need to.
If you were happy here and fine with staying for a while longer, all good. But you're not.
I know exactly what you mean re: Oz & dogs, we bought ours here too and felt very restricted in terms of walking them. Also re: countryside - on the whole - dull and bland apart from odd lovely place here n there, part from lovely beaches everywhere
I know you're woried about moving back, dont be. Your family just wanted it to go well for you, they'll be over the moon to know you're heading home.
Also, the longer one stays the harder it seems to return, but having been away less than 2 years, it wont be as hard as you think.
Its not like you left as you didnt like UK or had a dream of life in Oz.
Hopefully you other half feels the same & you can start planning homeward bound
All the best
Good luck
xx
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:22 am
Just Joined

buckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words and support.
I went home on Monday and had a heart to heart with my boyfriend, unfortunately he doesnt exactly feel the same way and wants to stay a while. Also he is very sensible, god damb it!! He always looks at the reality.....'we cant afford it yet, what about our jobs, where will we live etc'. I think he does want to go back to the UK eventually but said he could easily stay 5-10 years longer but I just cant stay that long. We have come to a comprimise, we have agreed to go back as soon as we have saved enough money, it will cost a few thousand to get the dogs relocated, the flights, etc but god knows how long it will take us to save!
It so gutting thinking how much money we have wasted on this trip, it cost about 10k to come here and set stuff up now we need to do it in the reverse, I would have rather had that money in my bank account!!
I just hope we can save quickly, or Im going to going to crack up!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words and support.
I went home on Monday and had a heart to heart with my boyfriend, unfortunately he doesnt exactly feel the same way and wants to stay a while. Also he is very sensible, god damb it!! He always looks at the reality.....'we cant afford it yet, what about our jobs, where will we live etc'. I think he does want to go back to the UK eventually but said he could easily stay 5-10 years longer but I just cant stay that long. We have come to a comprimise, we have agreed to go back as soon as we have saved enough money, it will cost a few thousand to get the dogs relocated, the flights, etc but god knows how long it will take us to save!
It so gutting thinking how much money we have wasted on this trip, it cost about 10k to come here and set stuff up now we need to do it in the reverse, I would have rather had that money in my bank account!!
I just hope we can save quickly, or Im going to going to crack up!!
Good news your man is into going home once you've saved up.
The $$$$ spend moving here/back is something best not to dwell on. Forward, onward and upward.
Thats what I try to do as otherwise I'd kick myself for all I've spend coming here etc.
Whereabouts on central Coast are you?
Get saving & good luck
T
xxx
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Kiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the rough

I always believe it is better to regret something you have done than not. If you hadnt have taken the chance and come out to Australia you may have spent the rest of your life wondering. I am sorry it hasnt turned out how you wanted it to but at least you gave it a go. The money that has been spent you cant do anything about now unfortunatly but if you are anything like me I spent a lot of time worrying about money! Have you been back to the UK at all? The thing I alway think is the grass is always greener - I am not saying this is true for everyone. Its just I lived in the US for 12months and spent my whole time wanting to be back in the UK and since returning then spent my time wishing I was back in the US - now I am in Australia! I hope you manage to sort it out good luck with saving.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks birdynumnum, ill try not to think of the money weve spent, whats done is done I guess! You right, forward, onward and upward, charge!!
We are living in Gosford, its quite a nice area.

Hi kiangsu, thats one of the reasons we came, I thought that should we not come, I knew Id grow older woundering what would have happened if I had, so I guess at least Ive ticked a box and I can move on. At least I know where I want to be not always woundering whats on the otherside, but I agree you always think the grass is greener on the otherside until you get there! One thing this trip has taught me and that I do not regret is that I now appreciate what I had and when I do get back to the UK I wont be taking it for granted!!

We havent been back to the UK, mostly due to money and time, the past year has flown! Now that we are on a saving mission I doubt we will go back. I also worry that should I go back I wont want to return!

I just hope that when we do return we dont wish we were back in Oz! I guess thats part of the gamble!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

why dont you pop back to the UK for a holiday??? see how it goes???
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks birdynumnum, ill try not to think of the money weve spent, whats done is done I guess! You right, forward, onward and upward, charge!!

Hi kiangsu, thats one of the reasons we came, I thought that should we not come, I knew Id grow older woundering what would have happened if I had, so I guess at least Ive ticked a box and I can move on. At least I know where I want to be not always woundering whats on the otherside, but I agree you always think the grass is greener on the otherside until you get there! One thing this trip has taught me and that I do not regret is that I now appreciate what I had and when I do get back to the UK I wont be taking it for granted!!

We havent been back to the UK, mostly due to money and time, the past year has flown! Now that we are on a saving mission I doubt we will go back. I also worry that should I go back I wont want to return!

I just hope that when we do return we dont wish we were back in Oz! I guess thats part of the gamble!

I pingd back like a fool!!! More money, just to make sure & to try the area I'd meant to live but for resons I wont bore you with didnt.
Am now heading back again as soon as I can sort everything.
Its easy to fluff here up from UK especially during winter, same for UK when you're here but going back & really appreciating all the UK has to offer - a hell of alot in my book - and making the most of it, thats a real positive from living in Oz.
Maybe write all the reasons you want to return.
I did b4 and found it recently, all the same reasons I want to go home as last time.
I'm determined to not get all rosy on Oz - lovely place for a holiday or to live for a while but for me living in the UK is more interesting, varied and stimulating if slightly colder.
Good luck again
Txxxx
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I doubt we will go back for a holiday cathnpaul, its a money problem. I think my feelings are right, my gut instinct is to go home so Im trusting that, theres just too many things I miss and reading others posts who have arrived back in the UK and are over the moon makes me sure ill be the same.

Funnyyou say that birdynumnum because I wrote them all down on the train on my way home from work Monday. I ended up with about 4 A4 pages worth!! It was good though because my boyfriend was a little unsiure of why I wasnt happy and even though I tried to explain he still didnt get it, so I showed him my pages and finally he understands!!
I feel the same as you though, I can see Oz is a beautiful country but im a UK girl through and through.
Oh I wanted to ask, you had dogs with you?? Can I ask how they were with the trip back to the UK again? Was it stressful for them? Did you use the PETS scheme or did they have to go through quarantine? Also do you mind telling who you used to fly them with or company to arrange transport with? Sorry so many questions but if you could help that would be great.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:23 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Hi Buckinghamshire lass,

You know this is a mirror image of how I felt when we got here, definitely wasn't for me I was going to save to get back home ect ect. However, decided I would put up with it for five years as OH and kids loved being here and now that we have been here for almost four years I don't want it any other way to be honest, we will be going back at the end of next year for a holiday and to visit my fathers grave as he passed away nine months after us getting here, which was another part of our rollercoaster journey to be honest. I just think after a while you tend to look at things from a different angle then see what you have now, if that makes sense, and when I look at the lifestyle we have now I feel WOW we have come through all this and yes we do miss the family back in UK but they are still there, UK is still there but I now see it all in a different light. I used to think Australia was dull and boring but that was before I really explored the place, now I don't think that at all.

Good luck with the rest of your journey and just remember you have the rest of your lives to live so make it a good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.