Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I sell everything or take everything - well nearly everthing??

Should I sell everything or take everything - well nearly everthing??

Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:24 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should I sell everything or take everything - well nearly everthing??

Just when I think I have made a decison on something, the seed of doubt is somehow planted in my mind.

As I have decided where to go, when to go and all that, I can not decide whether to simply sell everything and go over with a few suitcases, or whether to get a half container.

When I first decided I thougt, I can't not take this or that. Then I decided no it is a new life, get rid of everything and start a fresh, it is just 'stuff'.

Baring in mind I decided to move in December next year just under a year ago, I have changed my mind, at a minimum twice a month.

I am a single parent, so havent got anyone to thrash it out with. It is now starting to ' as the kids say' do my head in.

Oh heck what should I do. I need to decide soon as I had intended to start selling my stuff soon. I have ALOT of stuff.

What have other people done. If you took either everyhting or a lot of your possessions, was it worth the cost of the waiting and shipping?
Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I sell everything or take everything - well nearly everthing??

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Just when I think I have made a decison on something, the seed of doubt is somehow planted in my mind.

As I have decided where to go, when to go and all that, I can not decide whether to simply sell everything and go over with a few suitcases, or whether to get a half container.

When I first decided I thougt, I can't not take this or that. Then I decided no it is a new life, get rid of everything and start a fresh, it is just 'stuff'.

Baring in mind I decided to move in December next year just under a year ago, I have changed my mind, at a minimum twice a month.

I am a single parent, so havent got anyone to thrash it out with. It is now starting to ' as the kids say' do my head in.

Oh heck what should I do. I need to decide soon as I had intended to start selling my stuff soon. I have ALOT of stuff.

What have other people done. If you took either everyhting or a lot of your possessions, was it worth the cost of the waiting and shipping?
Since most of our stuff is fairly knackered semi-disposable swedish furniture, we're dumping most of it - would probably ship some of it, if it was quality gear. People have said it really helps a new house feel like a home, having your own 'stuff' around the place - I suspect this is particularly important for kids of a certain age. Something worth considering.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:33 pm
P,Johnson

tryinghard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I sell everything or take everything - well nearly everthing??

Well I have decided to sell EVERYTHING, dvds, tv, hi-fi the lot, everything is going, starting of with things i dont really use first. then as time goes on I will get rid of things like the TV, dvd players, computers and start from scratch.

I like the idea of buying everything new when i arrive.

Dont suppose you live in killamarsh do you, just a thought.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 4:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything. Most stuff is more expensive here. Anything you don't need you could sell over here & get more money for it than you would in the UK. Aussies like to buy 2nd hand stuff.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 4:57 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't suppose you live in Worksop do you? When I first came on here I thought no one on the planet will have heard of it, god was I wrong. When do you intend to go, and where do you intend to go?
Old Apr 16th 2006, 5:34 pm
P,Johnson

tryinghard is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't suppose you live in Worksop do you? When I first came on here I thought no one on the planet will have heard of it, god was I wrong. When do you intend to go, and where do you intend to go?
Hello mate I dont actually live in worksop but I do have a caravan I stop in down there while at work. (I live in Durham)And the guy I work for has a Unit over at those white park units or whatever they are called.

I want to go asap, I would go tonight if I could.

As for taking stuff, we basiclly weighed up the cost of buying new over the cost of shipping our stuff over there. I think we got qouted £2500 or there abouts. Well for that I would rather sell everything and buy new. We have all ready made around £300 just by selling junk that we would have normally thrown out.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We just came with suitcases due to the fact that we still have our house in the UK. Although I enjoyed buying new stuff here it was quite hard knowing which shops to go to and I think we will end up replacing some of the stuff we bought as we tended to buy the first things that we saw that were half decent. After being here a while we have found other shops and seen things we like better. We are in the process of selling our UK house and I don't think I will ship anything over as I am not that personally attached to it. The only things that have been brought over are personal items and photographs etc.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:02 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We are having a 20 foot container and basically putting everything we can in there!!!

We started off thinking that we would sell alot and just take the things we most wanted. However after having quotes(£3700) we realise that it would cost us MUCH more to replace it all and we have young kids who, i'm sure, will feel more settled with familiar things around them.

After much soul searching we felt it was worth the money to have all our stuff and then replace at a later date when we were confident about where we were shopping.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

xRachx
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:03 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

bring it all with you ,it make you feel at home with all your "stuff" around you
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Our advice would be to bring over as much as you can. We have two young kids and found it helped having toys that were familiar to them. Bring good bedlinen as it is expensive over here.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Bring everything. Most stuff is more expensive here. Anything you don't need you could sell over here & get more money for it than you would in the UK. Aussies like to buy 2nd hand stuff.
Exactly what I was going to say. Second hand stuff sells far better over here. No-one I know who brought everything has any regrets about it but everyone I know that came with just minimal stuff does regret it.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:19 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Have a good sort out and just take the stuff you will REALLY need.

I was here two months without my gear and I didn't miss a thing!! I still have about 70 boxes here still packed up. Don't know whats in them, but as I haven't missed anything, I really cannot be bothered unpacking them!!

Just bring what you will really miss and what you need. Also depends how much money you have too to buy new stuff.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Rachel
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:54 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

If you havent used it in 6 months, dont take it. Thats how I am thinking anyway.

I have been quoted between 2200 and 2500 for half a container, it would cost more to replace all the stuff we are taking.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

fancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud of

Hi folks

I asked my mate the same question as he shipped is stuff out when he went last June and he wished that he sold everything and got all new as the price he paid he could have got all new.

The stuff you want to take like sentimental items leave with family and have them to post them out when you find you're accommodation.

FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE :scared:

P.S. YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

You need to cost up everything and what it would cost u to buy ALL your stuff again, bear in mind second hand prices if it is used/old/etc
Remember its possible to get a lot of stuff quite cheaply at garage sales over here as people are often moving places.
It was worth it for us because most of our stuff was quite new. Only you can decide if you could get better here or by bringing it.
We had a good quality stuff and lots of hubbies tools, pc, etc etc so it was worth more than the 4000 pounds to ship it here. However we did get a great package from a cheap electrical store to get us started, we paid 650 pounds for a washer, tv, fridge freezer, microwave and dvd player, as we couldn't wait for these. We also got some beds, and bedside tables from a garage sale....3 beds, dressing table, bedside tables and a sofa bed for approx 200 pounds!!
Some people we know spent a lot more buying everything new when they got here so I'd cost up the things you will need to get you going if you don't bring it with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.