Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should I renew passport before moving?

should I renew passport before moving?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

rob-e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should I renew passport before moving?

I'm due to make the move to Sydney in about 6-7 weeks, now my 457 visa is granted. Its just struck me though, my current passport expires in Dec 09. So while it's prob enough time to get in (is there a minimum period needed to be left on it for 457, like the four years the visa is valid for?), I figure it would probably be easier and cheaper if I sorted it now?

My worry is though, the visa etc is all tied to my current passport number; will I have some major headache trying to tie it to the new one, or do the passport numbers stay the same?? If it sounds too much trouble, maybe I will just put it off for 12 months and take the hit then!

Any help much appreciated
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should I renew passport before moving?

It is cheaper, easier and quicker to get a British passport in the U.K. rather than in Australia.
Passport number will be different and you would have to get it tired to your visa.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is cheaper, easier and quicker to get a British passport in the U.K. rather than in Australia.
Passport number will be different and you would have to get it tired to your visa.
Thanks! I phoned the UK passport people, and they just read off some bumpf about not being able to carry over a visa unless the passport had expired. So I presume I need to go back to my case officer, or Aus Immigration or something and ask them to re-assign it, which I can only do when the new passport arrives? I hope its pretty straight-forward, and no cost!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob-e
Thanks! I phoned the UK passport people, and they just read off some bumpf about not being able to carry over a visa unless the passport had expired. So I presume I need to go back to my case officer, or Aus Immigration or something and ask them to re-assign it, which I can only do when the new passport arrives? I hope its pretty straight-forward, and no cost!
The U.K. passport people have nothing to do with visas issued by foreign countries. So the phone advice was probably meaningless.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob-e
Plenty of people on here have renewed before expiry. DIAC will just sort a sticker for your new passport.
Jeremy is quite right - UKPA have no knowledge of what DIAC's processes are .
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:41 am
Just Joined

hajamie is an unknown quantity at this point

I just renewed my passport before it had expired.
J.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

It is def best doing before you come over to Oz, it's easier and cheaper in the UK
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

I asked my CO, and they said having a new passport wouldn't affect the visa, and I just need to email them the new passport number to update the records, and just carry both with me when getting stamped.