Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I pressure my Expat girlfriend to make a decision on staying in Australia?

Should I pressure my Expat girlfriend to make a decision on staying in Australia?

Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Pint of Lager please is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I pressure my Expat girlfriend to make a decision on staying in Australia?

Hello,

I have actually trawled this site for a while seeking others in a similar situation as me which is as follows;

I met my girlfriend while living in Ireland and as I had to return to Australia we agreed that she would move out here to continue our relationship. She has been here for two years and we are relatively comfortable just living and working as usual.

I realised pretty early in our relationship that I would not be happy to live in Ireland permanently as I did not think that I could live happily without the relationships that I have here. I told her this and made it clear that I would understand if she felt the same way, we agreed that we would continue our relationship to see how she felt with time (she is very close to her parents and family which makes it hard for her).

It has been almost two years since that conversation but it does come up from time to time and results usually in an argument.

Anyway she still thinks she needs more time to decide if she would like to stay here but I am stressed about it and don't think I can waste any more time waiting for her to make a decision.

I am thinking of making an ultimatum but I realise that it is a stressful situation for her and am thinking if there is a better answer for this situation.

I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation or has any advice they can give me with this then that would be great.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I pressure my Expat girlfriend to make a decision on staying in Australia?

Yes. Because women love to be pressured into making life altering decisions.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I pressure my Expat girlfriend to make a decision on staying in Australia?

It sounds like you need to call it a day with her mate.

You may be better off getting one of those mail order brides who will do whatever you want them to.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:40 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This.

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
It sounds like you need to call it a day with her mate.

You may be better off getting one of those mail order brides who will do whatever you want them to.
Oh yeah, and this too.

Seriously mate, you need to put your foot down and tell her to stop messing you about by giving up all her family and friends and moving to the other side of the world so that YOU don't have to give up anything and jeez, she can't decide if this is for her?

How very selfish of her.

Edit: I'm sure it's COMPLETELY legit.. but just in case...

Last edited by Dreamy; Apr 29th 2013 at 4:47 am. Reason: Rawhide!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:32 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
sounds like she needs a backhand to snap her out of it!

On a serious note though, a lot has changed economically in Ireland in those two years. Opportunities are not great at the moment, maybe a holiday over wouldn't be a bad idea. Let her realise for herself what is good about being here.

if that doesn't work smack her about a bit
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No don't giver her an ultimatum. Very cowardly putting it all onto her, if you want a decision then make it yourself.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pint of Lager please
Hello,

I have actually trawled this site for a while seeking others in a similar situation as me which is as follows;

I met my girlfriend while living in Ireland and as I had to return to Australia we agreed that she would move out here to continue our relationship. She has been here for two years and we are relatively comfortable just living and working as usual.

I realised pretty early in our relationship that I would not be happy to live in Ireland permanently as I did not think that I could live happily without the relationships that I have here. I told her this and made it clear that I would understand if she felt the same way, we agreed that we would continue our relationship to see how she felt with time (she is very close to her parents and family which makes it hard for her).

It has been almost two years since that conversation but it does come up from time to time and results usually in an argument.

Anyway she still thinks she needs more time to decide if she would like to stay here but I am stressed about it and don't think I can waste any more time waiting for her to make a decision.

I am thinking of making an ultimatum but I realise that it is a stressful situation for her and am thinking if there is a better answer for this situation.

I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation or has any advice they can give me with this then that would be great.

Thanks.
Maybe it is time for you to both go your separate ways, if by now your girlfriend (after 2 years) cannot decide where she wants to be then I don't think she is putting her relationship first, it seems to be her family (not to say thats not very important to some) and Ireland are tugging at her heart strings rather than you and if you are not prepared to go and live in Ireland then sometimes its just time to say "enough already" and move on. Relationships don't always break up just because "the love has gone", maybe this is one of those relationships. Good luck and I hope you both find happiness.
ps (don't normally make a comment like this but here goes...) anyone who finds it funny to think joke about "knocking someone around"...well brainless along with a few other things comes to mind...and yes I do have a sense of humour..just not a sick one.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the decision have to be made now? If things are going well between you, why does she have to make her mind up about this issue? Seems you are feeling insecure?

As Broad Shoulders has said, go to Ireland on holiday and see what happens when it's time to come home.

I personally can't see myself moving back to UK but I wouldn't like to say that things won't change in the future to alter that decision. Maybe she simply doesn't want to 'never say never' x
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:15 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Why does the decision have to be made now? If things are going well between you, why does she have to make her mind up about this issue? Seems you are feeling insecure?

As Broad Shoulders has said, go to Ireland on holiday and see what happens when it's time to come home.

I personally can't see myself moving back to UK but I wouldn't like to say that things won't change in the future to alter that decision. Maybe she simply doesn't want to 'never say never' x
glad you approve of my knuckle kissing approach
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:19 am
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

Forcing her to decide when she's not ready will not go down well. And you may just force her into a decision that you don't really want to hear.

Your only real options are to either give her the time to decide by herself (with your support), choose to enjoy your time together regardless of the uncertainty the future holds, or make the choice of ending it yourself.

Remember, you're asking her to do what you are not prepared to do - leave family and friends on the other side of the World, possibly forever.

Assuming you're not just trolling, I wish you all the best!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

With an attitude like that she'd be a wise girl to kiss you goodbye and get on with her own life. I'm surprised that you havent suggested getting her pregnant then you can force her to stay in Aus with your child.

Nah, this has to be a joke, surely?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

You are not happy to live there, sounds like she is not happy to live here.

Do the sensible thing and go your separate ways before you have kids and one of you becomes horribly trapped for life.

People from 2 different countries in a long term relationship should not only love the person but the Country as well (and possibly also their family who often may as well be from Mars such is the cultural difference.)
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pint of Lager please
Hello,

Thanks.
You're the one who's moved the goalposts, not your girlfriend. Your comment that you 'feel like you're wasting your time' says it all. Say goodbye - then neither of you will be wasting your time.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused. You're happy at home, she's apparently happy, or happy enough to not need to go back, what's the issue? Why push something that doesn't need pushing? What's wrong with carrying on as you are? Granted you can agree to see how it's going after a specific period but you can't lay it in concrete.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm a bit confused. You're happy at home, she's apparently happy, or happy enough to not need to go back, what's the issue? Why push something that doesn't need pushing? What's wrong with carrying on as you are? Granted you can agree to see how it's going after a specific period but you can't lay it in concrete.
you need a slap!

Pull yourself together woman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.