Reload this Page >

Should I move to Sydney ?

Should I move to Sydney ?

Old Jul 15th 2003, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

muthu123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I move to Sydney ?

OK - here's the gist of my story.

Being made redundant at end of September. Holding out for decent redundancy package that I'll get when I leave. Work in the insurance world. Looking locally but also responded to ad for Claims Officers to work in Sydney. Got interview & amazingly got offered job. Then realised that my wife (who works for same company as me) is not being made redundant till 3rd quarter 2004. If she leaves before, she misses out on her very decent package. Plus, found out that company who offered work (well respected and part of major insurance company based in Oz) is talking to buyers and who knows what the new buyer will do. Normally, in this business it means redundancies. The new company may well bring in their own staff ? My interviewer was very open about this but correctly said that no job is 100% secure long-term and she was going ahead and recruiting anyway. They have a good history of taking on Brits (took on 30 odd, two years ago). The re-location package is good ....... equivalent salary for me (accounting for lower cost of living) / Living Away from Home Allowance (up to additional 25% of salary on top of normal salary, towards rental & food costs) / they employ services of a re-location company to assist with everything / pay flights for me & my wife to go over / pay visa application & sponsorship costs / employ well-known accountant to give tax advice / assist with shipping costs except for a car / meet us at the airport & transfer to free accommodation (for 1st 6 weeks) in Epping region of North Sydney / employer contributes 10 and a half % towards superannuation (pension) / 4 year contract and they assist with any application we may want toward permanent residency after 2 years / 20 days hol / employ services of a company that gives an insight/introduction to Sydney for us when we get there + the chance to speak to other UK employees of this firm who have made the same move. The whole visa/application process will take 6 - 12 weeks I'm told. It's on a 457 visa - employer sponsored.

So, why am I undecided ? Well, the job insecurity. It's a long way to go & come straight back. My wife losing out on her redundancy. Being away from family (my Mum's getting old and I adore her) + friends. Plus, we went there on honeymoon ............. did all the usual stuff ...... bridge climb etc........ and a part of me wants to keep it as that special place we went on honeymoon to and not for it to become the place I work and possibly hate at times.

Only I can decide of course and as the sun beats down in the UK, this country feels great (I do love the UK. I also loved Australia). If I say "no" will I be de-icing my car in a few months in the freezing cold & driving to work thinking ......... "why didn't I go ?". Plus I'm just not sure - when it boils down to it - that I want the hassle. The up-heaval. It's a LONG way to go to find I don't like the job/people. For once in my life I am settled in a lovely house, with everything I could want. I'm confident of getting another job in my current home region. This is a sideways career move rather than a promotion. I'm told that the reason most people return early is because their wife/partner is homesick.

Christ .... what a moaning prat right ? Some people would give their right arm for such an offer, right ? Why did the stupid idiot apply in the first place ? Maybe, when 'push comes to shove' I'm a big coward. But if ever I've gone against my instincts, I've regretted it and, to be honest, my instincts tell me not to go.

Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a very confused person.

Peds
Old Jul 15th 2003, 2:41 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Only you can decide, but life is short. As much as I love the UK (I am English and this is my fave country for loads of reasons), I have few regrets about living in other countries (even NZ!), and if a friend came out with a story similar to yours, I would probably recommend they give it a shot over there..

However, before you go, will you have the means to come back if it all goes tits-up work wise over there? Will your wife be gutted about the missed redundency money? If you are already deciding how to spend it, that might not be a good sign

Ask yourself why it is you really want to go? Financial reasons? Weather? Standard of living? Adventure? You really need to decide what it is that appeals about it to you, then you can weigh it up with the likely outcome and assess the pitfalls. For example, being made redundent over there, or being worse off financially might not be a problem at all to you, alternatively, great weather and new experiences won't mean anything to you if you are missing your mum/family.

Decide what you would like to get out of going over, then you will be better placed to make that big decision.. Hope that all comes out right!
Old Jul 15th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

I would check out with an immigration agent what your employment rights are. I have heard some horror stories regarding sponsored migration, ie they have got you by the balls big time because if they fire you or you leave, bye bye OZ :scared: :scared: My immigration agent told me that they were trying to help a guy in a situation were the company who had sponsored him were shafting him big time but he couldnt leave as that meant he would have to leave Oz.

Best of luck with your desicion

Pete
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:57 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah sponsored migration does have its pit falls. I think you have to stay with the company for 3 years, you can leave the company however you need to inform the DIMIA , not sure what this means by informing the DIMIA.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me like you've already decided but are trying to convince yourself otherwise.
Sounds silly, but toss a coin! If its not the answer you want then you'll know as soon as you look - always the way to test a 50/50 decision!