Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should i move to oz aged 18????

View Poll Results: Should i try and move aged 18???????
yes you should
90.63%
no dont do it
3.13%
you will hav no chance
3.13%
i really dont know
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

should i move to oz aged 18????

Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

pipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nice
Question should i move to oz aged 18????

hey ppl

Im 17 and will be 18 soon, I was wanting to move to Australia asap my plan was to get a whv then go from there has any one done this b4, or does anyone think im too young to try at 18 please i need your help.

thanx pip
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

pipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nicepipxh is just really nice
Default Re: should i move to oz aged 18????

please dont just pass by thinkin about it ... please i need your thuoghts on this one all help is very much needed

thanx in advance pip
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:49 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipxh
please dont just pass by thinkin about it ... please i need your thuoghts on this one all help is very much needed

thanx in advance pip
at 18 the world is your oyster get a whv and get over there
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on what sort of person you are and what you enjoy doing,, to be honest my 18yr old who came here when he was 17 finds it way too different from the lifestyle he had back in the UK.

As I said, it depends on you,,what sort of things do you enjoy doing? do you drive?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I think it depends on what sort of person you are and what you enjoy doing,, to be honest my 18yr old who came here when he was 17 finds it way too different from the lifestyle he had back in the UK.

As I said, it depends on you,,what sort of things do you enjoy doing? do you drive?
im learning to drive now is this a good thing?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

thanx in advance pip
Hi there,

This must be a really big decision for you. I went abroad to university at 17/18 so its kinda different but I am glad I had the experience and didn't just stay in the UK doing all the stuff everyone else does. Are you moving out of home for the first time? Do you have girlf or boyf back in UK. These sort of things will obviously impact on the move. The decision doesn't have to be forever and you will get a lot of experience from it. Do you have your families support?

18 is pretty young but there are plenty of 18 year olds that travel around the world etc look for work and have to find a way to live.

I don't know how the visa side of things works but hopefully someone will be along that has actually made the move.

What ever you decide to do good luck.

Poppet UK

p.s What makes you want to move to Australia?? Just curious
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

hey ppl

Im 17 and will be 18 soon, I was wanting to move to Australia asap my plan was to get a whv then go from there has any one done this b4, or does anyone think im too young to try at 18 please i need your help.
You can have a WHV at age 18 but unless you were to meet an Australian and settle down (and 18 is usually too young for that) you would be unlikely to be able to stay.

Go to university or trade school, get yourself a good degree + professional qualification, or trade qualifications, plus some good work experience, and you should have plenty of options in life from your mid 20s onwards.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Life comes just once. Personally I'd travel on a WHV just to get a years worth of awesome experiences. As JAJ has said though if you are looking at the big picture and a perm move to Australia then you will need other things to make the points test after a years worth of WHV.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There was a young lad here years ago who moved over as a partner but had I think issues or concerns proving his relationship at such a youthful age.

Got therein the end.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

This must be a really big decision for you. I went abroad to university at 17/18 so its kinda different but I am glad I had the experience and didn't just stay in the UK doing all the stuff everyone else does. Are you moving out of home for the first time? Do you have girlf or boyf back in UK. These sort of things will obviously impact on the move. The decision doesn't have to be forever and you will get a lot of experience from it. Do you have your families support?

18 is pretty young but there are plenty of 18 year olds that travel around the world etc look for work and have to find a way to live.

I don't know how the visa side of things works but hopefully someone will be along that has actually made the move.

What ever you decide to do good luck.

Poppet UK

p.s What makes you want to move to Australia?? Just curious
hey thanks for all of the replies
i have moved away from home before and no i don't have a gf...
i do really want to do this its just i don't no if i will be too young and when i get there it wont go anywhere and i only have 1 chance with the whv

please all advise is greatly needed

thanx in advance pip
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Go over on the WHV and see if you like it. If you do 3 months fruit picking or simular you can extend the visa for another year. Then if you do like it TRAIN IN SOMETHING THEY WANT!!
I went to Oz at 19 on a WHV (before you could extend it for the second year) and loved the place. I met my how husband there (unfortunetly he is not an ozzie).
We decided we needed to go straight into work and couldn't afford to train to do anything. Now 8 years on I am planning on going to Oz on a student visa as we don't really want to get all the years of working in in the UK which you don't have to do for some of the jobs if you study in Oz.
If you happen to be rich then you could always go for the student visa, but I would go on the WHV first just to check you like it.

Good luck