Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I go for PR?

Should I go for PR?

Old Jun 11th 2004, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Default Should I go for PR?

I am new to this so if its been covered my apologies.
For reference this is a great web site.

My situation is that I am a IT UK Graduate (not yet 29 for few years) with 4 years work experience in IT Analysis. Currently based in UK. I have the correct skills to qualify for residency & spend 8 months of last year in Sydney working in IT & travelling Oz.

My problem is to go or not? Should I just use it as a travel experience or go for broke & spend a couple of years to see if I can adjust.

Am tired of the money mad side of UK now, am proud of my country but had enough of costs/poor service/stressful jobs/People miserable with their lifes etc.

My time in Oz was stressfull but I felt like I was following what I had always planned to do & it made me a more determined person. The travels Totally changed my outlook on life (material things dont matter).

My view is that you have to create your own future, I have no debt & savings to make it happen. Too many people here live day to day, though I found the same in Oz aswell.

Any advice would be appreciated (sounds like a ramble though)
Old Jun 11th 2004, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I go for PR?

Hi
Reading your post just made me say to myself - you're young, free and single (?) already knows parts of OZ, has the chance to go again - so why don't you?

You can always come back - just give it a go or else you will never know - will you!!

Don't look back and regret not taking the chance at least - but at the end of the day only you can make that decision based on how you feel about the parts of oz you saw and whether you could actually 'live' there.

Old Jun 11th 2004, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

You sound pretty realistic about your expectations....and remember it doesnt have to be forever.......
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Should I go for PR?

Originally posted by Bix da Boss
Hi
Reading your post just made me say to myself - you're young, free and single (?) already knows parts of OZ, has the chance to go again - so why don't you?

You can always come back - just give it a go or else you will never know - will you!!

Don't look back and regret not taking the chance at least - but at the end of the day only you can make that decision based on how you feel about the parts of oz you saw and whether you could actually 'live' there.

Dmartyos
Don't pass up the chance to at least see what it's like to live there on a permanent basis. I passed up the chance many years ago and regretted not going. It gets very difficult to leave when you get older. Not only because of the DIMA constraints, but because the older you are the more family ties come along, making the decision not as straight forward.

The only way I can get to Australia now, because of my age, is the Contributory Parent Visa....which is expensive!. I should have gone when I was 23.

Go on make the decision.....as said previously you won't know until you try.

Best of luck...whatever you decide.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Go for it - you have nothing to lose!!

In would rather come back in a couple of years, wiser for the experience than look back and say "I wish I'd given that a try"

Good luck with your decision
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the reply guys

I think my mind is pretty set on applying now. Like you say it doesnt have to be long term if its not ideal.

It looks like next couple of years will change things around, just find it hard explaining to my parents why I want to relocate by myself to the other side of the planet!

Best of luck for all other who have same situation or are further down the line.

Cheers