British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   should i go back to the uk? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/should-i-go-back-uk-574535/)

1jemma1 Nov 22nd 2008 12:44 am

should i go back to the uk?

Hi,
just thought id ask advise on what to do, if you've read some of my other posts you will know im currently in Melbourne Australia but the job my husband was promised has fallen through. we only came to melbourne becasue he had this job otherwise we were considering applying for canada. now this has happened and we've decided australias not for us as a family were not sure what to do stay or go back to the UK. my husabd is applying for jobs at the moment in australia, canada and the uk and were just waiting to see what come of this but time is running out since flight prices become very expensive within the next week up untill the end of january so if were going back to the uk we need to go as soon as. what scares me though is the fact there is a reccession going on and apparaently the uk is one of the worst to be hit we. what do people think we wshould do go back even though there a recession going on??

robtkd1 Nov 22nd 2008 7:19 am

Re: should i go back to the uk?

It sounds trite but i would say go where you would be happy. The uk is getting hit pretty bad at the moment and i've heard from financial experts that 09 is going to be a really bad year. I think you should either stay in Australia or goto Canada. If that doesn't work out for you then come back to the uk. At least you'll be able to say to yourself that you gave it a go. It's better to regret something you've done than something you haven't.
That's my 2p's worth!
Hope that helps

Oz wannabe1 Nov 22nd 2008 1:36 pm

Take it from someone stuck in the UK although I have my visa to get out, this country is going to the dogs rapidly. It is not only the recession but society itself that is scary in the UK. Personally I would stick it out, maybe look at WA where there seems to be an abundance of work.

Whatever you decide best of luck and I hope you find happiness

helena39 Nov 22nd 2008 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1 (Post 6999065)
Take it from someone stuck in the UK although I have my visa to get out, this country is going to the dogs rapidly. It is not only the recession but society itself that is scary in the UK. Personally I would stick it out, maybe look at WA where there seems to be an abundance of work.

Hi, have to agree, we have our visa and can't wait to get out of this place (Ireland). This place is draining us finanically as well as emotionally. Ireland is not the same place I was brought up in and I do not want to bring my 2 children up here. Heading to QLD early next year.

loubiegreen Nov 22nd 2008 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1 (Post 6999065)

Originally Posted by helena39 (Post 6999507)
Hi, have to agree, we have our visa and can't wait to get out of this place (Ireland). This place is draining us finanically as well as emotionally. Ireland is not the same place I was brought up in and I do not want to bring my 2 children up here. Heading to QLD early next year.

Hi and I would like to add my twopenneth, we also have our visa and can't wait to leave the UK it really is getting bad. I have 4 kids and I do not want any of them growing up here. There certainly won't be any jobs for them when they leave school so what are they supposed to do. I have lots of friends who have just graduated with degrees from uni and not one of them has been able to secure a job in the profession they are trained to do, they are all still working in a supermarket.

I know where I want to be and its definately not here.

Kind regards and good luck Lou xx

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 22nd 2008 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by loubiegreen (Post 6999696)
Hi and I would like to add my twopenneth, we also have our visa and can't wait to leave the UK it really is getting bad. I have 4 kids and I do not want any of them growing up here. There certainly won't be any jobs for them when they leave school so what are they supposed to do. I have lots of friends who have just graduated with degrees from uni and not one of them has been able to secure a job in the profession they are trained to do, they are all still working in a supermarket.

Read this before you get too carried away about employment prospects here in Oz... and this was from before the current economic turmoil

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/n...th/784954.aspx

jad n rich Nov 22nd 2008 8:38 pm

So UK has an issue thats common to Canada and Australia too.

The current economic woes are worldwide not just UK. What you mention, grads working in a supermarket, one of the weekend mags recently devoted pages to the same topic.

quoll Nov 22nd 2008 8:48 pm

If you arent happy here then go home because there is nothing worse than being stuck in a place that you dont want to be. The Poms seem to think they have the monopoly on doom and gloom recession but it is a world wide phenomenon and things are beginning to unravel in Aus just the same. If you have a support network in UK, no matter how tenuous, you would be much better going back and getting on your feet there.

The danger of staying here is that you may get to that point of no return where you are stuck here and dont want to be because of all the peripheral issues like jobs, kids in school, kids having families etc and you no longer have the choice.

kevin747 Nov 22nd 2008 9:37 pm

Excellent point Quoll.

Go home .You won't starve.

CDM Nov 22nd 2008 9:52 pm

I would suggest that Australia (or anywhere else for that matter) is NOT the right place for you if the ONLY reason you went there is because of a specific job.

It seems to me that you should live in a country where you are happy first and foremost and then seek employment - not the other way now. Otherwise, you'd be emmigrating each time you changed jobs.

- CDM

ABCDiamond Nov 22nd 2008 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by 1jemma1 (Post 6997974)
Hi,
just thought id ask advise on what to do, if you've read some of my other posts you will know im currently in Melbourne Australia but the job my husband was promised has fallen through. we only came to melbourne becasue he had this job otherwise we were considering applying for canada. now this has happened and we've decided australias not for us as a family were not sure what to do stay or go back to the UK. my husabd is applying for jobs at the moment in australia, canada and the uk and were just waiting to see what come of this but time is running out since flight prices become very expensive within the next week up untill the end of january so if were going back to the uk we need to go as soon as. what scares me though is the fact there is a reccession going on and apparaently the uk is one of the worst to be hit we. what do people think we wshould do go back even though there a recession going on??

Can you afford to stay here for Christmas, on a holiday basis ?

Then in January, sort out trying Canada, as that appears to have been your first consideration.

Definitely do not go to the Illawarra region...

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 6999707)
Read this before you get too carried away about employment prospects here in Oz... and this was from before the current economic turmoil

Nearly one quarter of Illawarra job seekers aged between 15 and 24 years are unemployed: the NSW rate is 11.7 per cent and the national rate 10.1 per cent
compared to 6 Nov 2008 ... The Australian male adult unemployment rate remained steady at 4.0%

bigAPE Nov 22nd 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by 1jemma1 (Post 6997974)

No comment.

The Bloke Nov 22nd 2008 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 6999707)

Hardly a cause for concern, or relevancy, as that region covers an area that has been going downhill ever since BHP-Billiton pulled out of steel manufacturing in Newcastle.

rabsody Nov 23rd 2008 1:54 am

I have lots of friends who have just graduated with degrees from uni and not one of them has been able to secure a job in the profession they are trained to do, they are all still working in a supermarket.
xx

Funny that, I know a couple of the lads here working on the checkout at my local supermarket are in the same boat.
It's a global issue!

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 23rd 2008 2:03 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 7000050)
Hardly a cause for concern, or relevancy, as that region covers an area that has been going downhill ever since BHP-Billiton pulled out of steel manufacturing in Newcastle.

The Illawarra is South of Sydney and Newcastle North... you sure you know where you are talking about?.