Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Get Medicals Done Unrequested?

Should I Get Medicals Done Unrequested?

Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:35 am
Just Joined

mightyquinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I Get Medicals Done Unrequested?

Looking for some advice. I am a nurse hopefully moving to Perth. Visa application was acknowledged 3rd June. Wondering whether to get medicals done now before being requested.

Any thought would be much appreciated

mightyquinn
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:47 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I Get Medicals Done Unrequested?

Originally Posted by mightyquinn
Looking for some advice. I am a nurse hopefully moving to Perth. Visa application was acknowledged 3rd June. Wondering whether to get medicals done now before being requested.

mightyquinn
No, Wait until your asked, it can take ages (years) from lodging the application to getting the request for a medical, it can also only be done a certain medical centers. And most probably there is an expiry date on the validity of the medical. so hang fire I think. I would, Inface we did.
We waited over 2 years to get the medical request and then had about 30 days to get it done and sent to Australia. Which is quite tight as most medical centers have a waiting list of a couple of weeks. So book it the day you recieve the request.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with Arkon on that note.

They will not take long to sort out once you have got them requested and will ultimately mean you have more time to make your move as its based on when you had your medicals and police check done.

Sending them before being requested is probably a bit over the top. Having said that many people do it of course. No doubt your immigration advisor can help you on that note if you have one. That or do a search in the immigration forum which has lots of threads on if you should or shouldn't.

From what I recall and read its generally thought better not to.

Horrible just waiting isnt it ? I think thats why many people do it - to try to rush things a bit.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:06 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We've done ours unrequested, had them nearly two weeks ago now.

There shouldnt really be a problem with doing it this way, but bear in mind you need to make first entry to Oz 12 months after having meds or police checks done (which ever was first) and if you have health undertaking on your meds the validation date can come down to 6 months.

Yes, it is a risk but it should shave a month or so off the wait for your visa. We decided it was worth the risk...

There's plenty of others on here who've done this also
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Bridie on this one and she is one of a majority who have done it this way and i will be doing so myself - GO FOR IT!!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:51 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

We had our medicals carried out unrequested and dont regret it. But definately bear in mind what others have said regarding the validation date, if you get them done too early, there is a risk of running out of time.

Jo
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:53 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mightyquinn

mightyquinn
hi there,

I'm also a nurse and visa application was acknowledged 7th June. I've booked my medicals for 2nd August in anticipation of request. I know it's a risk you take, but I agree with the other comments - go for it. Also the medical centre I have booked with couldn't offer me an appointment for 6 - 7 weeks!!

Tinkaxx
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:17 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Go for it, we booked ours for 8 weeks from ack date (we are going SIR, so med req seem to be a little quicker coming through).
Would have had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment anyway the receptionist told me !!
As Bridiej said it could save up to a month.
Carole
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

We too sent ours unrequested, with the case file no. on it!!

The GP was very busy with medicals, so like everyone says you might have a wait until you get them done.

It is a risk.........The worst that can happpen IMO is that you need to have them done again if it takes that long. Hopefully with you being a nurse you wont have to wait 1yr+!!!

Good luck!!!

Roni
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:38 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get the medical center to keep a copy of everything sent to Australia especially blod test results and all the paper work, they don't like doing it but Our medicals were sent to Australia by the medical center and they were aknowleded as being recieved over here and were then promptly lost. We had to go and get them done all over again. We were given the money from Australia to get them done again though. (Obviously you cant copy the xrays though, but they didn't want them a second time. Also we got in touch with a migration agent who told us it was a common occurrence and in our case it was only 1 of a half dozen or so that were lost in that week.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

mightyquinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Should I Get Medicals Done Unrequested?

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Still undecided but we thought we might get the meds done as our agent is optomistic that we should get our visa quite soon.
mightyquinn