British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Should I change my last name to married name? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/should-i-change-my-last-name-married-name-320786/)

dedrei Aug 18th 2005 1:45 pm

Should I change my last name to married name?

:rolleyes: Should I rather keep my maiden, or change it to my married name? This goes for passport purposes. We are still in the starting process with everything and I am pondering if I should go for my passport now or wait until our wedding in Nov & then go for passport with new surname? Applying for passport is lenghty process here in SA. We probably only after the wedding any way for the visa, cause the TRA skills assessment willl probably only be cleared by that time any way.

Does DIMIA get difficult if your last name has changed and all your documents aren't in that name, because you just recently changed it. (I won't be main applicant.)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

chaval Aug 18th 2005 1:53 pm

Re: Should I change my last name to married name?

Originally Posted by dedrei
:rolleyes: Should I rather keep my maiden, or change it to my married name? This goes for passport purposes. We are still in the starting process with everything and I am pondering if I should go for my passport now or wait until our wedding in Nov & then go for passport with new surname? Applying for passport is lenghty process here in SA. We probably only after the wedding any way for the visa, cause the TRA skills assessment willl probably only be cleared by that time any way.

Does DIMIA get difficult if your last name has changed and all your documents aren't in that name, because you just recently changed it. (I won't be main applicant.)

Hi d...think we might of discussed this recently...my wife hasnt changed her name and we submitted the app. It hasnt been raised yet, although we havent been given the visa yet either. As soon as we hear either way i'll let you know.

C

beebopaloola Aug 18th 2005 1:55 pm

why do you want to change your name?? you are not a chattel. :D
ask your husband to be to change his name to yours!! :rolleyes:
save all probs! or just keep your own name .
i am married and kept my maiden name it is not a problem...

in the future children can then be double barrelled or take either surname.
i would have only changed mine if it was an embarressing one to begin with..

dedrei Aug 18th 2005 2:08 pm

My last name is my adoptive surname from my mom's previous husband. I would actually be happy to changed it finally. Is kind of a tongue twister itself. If I keep my maiden surname, would it be easy to change it once in Australia? See, I will keep it just for the sake of getting through the visa app faster as we are going STNI route. But would really love to have my hubby's surname, been looking forward to it for more than 10 years already. :eek:

beebopaloola Aug 18th 2005 2:22 pm

My last name is my adoptive surname from my mom's previous husband. I would actually be happy to changed it finally. Is kind of a tongue twister itself. If I keep my maiden surname, would it be easy to change it once in Australia? See, I will keep it just for the sake of getting through the visa app faster as we are going STNI route. But would really love to have my hubby's surname, been looking forward to it for more than 10 years already. :eek:

i would change it after the visa granted!!
either way there will be lots and LOTS of paperwork (passport, bankdetails, pensions, credit cards, driving licence etc, etc)

once you enter australia for your new life... you can use your new name!!
MRS ..................................... :D

good luck with process!!

A dogs life Aug 18th 2005 2:25 pm

If anything changes with your application, just notify them. Send a copy of your Marriage certificate and your new surname to them and its no worries. Mrs JTL changed surname during the process... not a problem.

Unless your husbands surname is shufflebottom, then I recommend sticking with your maiden name :p

dedrei Aug 18th 2005 2:29 pm

Thanks a million for the replies!! :)

Anybody currently in Australia that can comment on - would it be easy changing my maiden name to married one after arriving in aus on PR? :confused:

Ozzidoc Aug 18th 2005 3:41 pm

Anybody currently in Australia that can comment on - would it be easy changing my maiden name to married one after arriving in aus on PR? :confused:

When i was living in Oz (havent for 7 yrs now) I worked with several women who kept all business things in their maiden name, and some personal things in married name. They had bank accounts in both names - not sure tho if it was the same bank account that could use either IDs. They'd be all linked by the same tax file number anyway.

You can call your self any name you want, can change none/some/all of your personal affairs into your married name.

Best wishes for it all.

:)

JackTheLad Aug 19th 2005 2:02 am

Yes, it's easy. My Medicare card and joint bank account with hubby are both in my married name although all my official documents (passport, credit cards, etc) are all in my maiden name. In fact when hubby and I bought our house as joint owners, I used my married name too. You just have to bring your marriage certificate with you every time you need to sign up for something.

I'm working for a government department and all my work-related documents (ID, security passes, pay slips, super, etc) are in my married name although I have my salary paid into my personal account in my maiden name.

I can't be bothered to change my name on the passport. But when I get my Aussie passport in a year or so, I will be using my married name.

Hope that helps. :)

Mrs JTL (aka A Dogs Life's wife)

Jaykay Aug 19th 2005 3:22 am

I changed my surname by deed poll last year.

Very easy process. Just need to fill in form, along with relevant information, send to the place that does it (can't remember where, somewhere in the city) and they then send you a certificate that says you've changed your name by deed poll.

You just need to show this certificate to anyone who needs it for identification. :)

Shellfish Aug 19th 2005 4:49 am

We got married mid-application and it was no big deal. We got married in S.Africa, I stayed on to be with my parents and hubby returned to the UK. Called me late on night to say that we had our visa. I went back to UK, got the visa put in (all in maiden passport) and did our validation trip all with my visa and passport in my maiden name. This was almost 3 years ago and I still haven't changed it but I carry a copy of my marriage certificate with me (unabridged) when I leave or enter SA or Aus. I can't be bothered to get a new SA passport because as you say, it's a rigmarole but I will my Aus passport in my married name.