Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should I change A$ to £ now?

should I change A$ to £ now?

Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:27 am
Just Joined

granton33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should I change A$ to £ now?

Hi everyone, I came across this site whilst trawling the net for information on the A$-£ exchange rate, as most of you will already know the dollar seems to be very strong at the moment, I have a large amount of A$ that have been sitting in an off-shore account for about a decade, I sometimes change some into sterling for use in the u.k., my bank has asked me lately if i want to change the lot into sterling, they have offered me a rate of 2.3740, as many of you will have been following the A$ for some time now, would you advise me to take the plunge now, any information or views would be much appreciated.........great forum B.T.W.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:51 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should I change A$ to £ now?

Originally Posted by granton33
Hi everyone, I came across this site whilst trawling the net for information on the A$-£ exchange rate, as most of you will already know the dollar seems to be very strong at the moment, I have a large amount of A$ that have been sitting in an off-shore account for about a decade, I sometimes change some into sterling for use in the u.k., my bank has asked me lately if i want to change the lot into sterling, they have offered me a rate of 2.3740, as many of you will have been following the A$ for some time now, would you advise me to take the plunge now, any information or views would be much appreciated.........great forum B.T.W.
Try Ozforex or Hifx for much better rates than a bank. Very reputable, can recommend.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:15 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by granton33
I was chatting to a bank teller the other day who was talking about this. She was planning to go to the UK next year and was considering buying pounds now.
I don't know if this will be helpful or not but if bank staff are considering it then it maybe worth while.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:03 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Buying £ now i think its a good buy. Look at the charts on ozforex

Really depends on what you need it all for.... I got screwed going the other way from £->$ as I had to transfer last week a large sum for the deposit on a house in WA and had no option to do it at 2.34 as that was the rate and i couldnt leave it any longer. Even though i had been watching for 3 months and had a limit order order set... it just never hit it!

I only transfered the minimum i needed as i think its going to weaken sometime.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

granton33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies, I spoke to a man in hifx today and he said that now is a good a time as any, he also noted that if I had changed the whole amount in january this year, I would have been £10,000 worse off compared to if I do it now, wow! I think monday will be D-Day, lets pray it does'nt crash, bye for now
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

sortedtoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark213
Buying £ now i think its a good buy. Look at the charts on ozforex

Really depends on what you need it all for.... I got screwed going the other way from £->$ as I had to transfer last week a large sum for the deposit on a house in WA and had no option to do it at 2.34 as that was the rate and i couldnt leave it any longer. Even though i had been watching for 3 months and had a limit order order set... it just never hit it!

I only transfered the minimum i needed as i think its going to weaken sometime.
pound gonna weaken soon too !
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sortedtoo
pound gonna weaken soon too !
Does that mean we should buy US dollars now? They're cheap atm.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

sortedtoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quercus
Does that mean we should buy US dollars now? They're cheap atm.
I think £ and $ will weaken against Euro.

Just my view, but i have put my money where my mouth is and backed Euro.