Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I Call It A Day ?

Wikiposts

Should I Call It A Day ?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I Call It A Day ?

Originally Posted by baglady
OK, I stand corrected. People go for lots of different reasons. I can't speak for anyone else on this board. I suppose for me,i'm just trying to stop myself from having too many expectations. The truth is, the whole thing was set in motion by my husband so he's certainly more sure about it than I am and I'm worried about missing my family, taking my parents' only grandchildren away from them and all that silly stuff. But, I'm under no illusions. Life's what you make it.

You're right though.. I think it's good to try something different once in a while. If you don't give it a go, you'll never know.
Yeah your not allowed to speak for me thats the wifes job lol

I stand in your hubbies boat as I'm the one getting the Australia idea under way! But I very much doubt we'll regret it and I know my eldest is really up for the move as he's continually maintained he wants to go and live there and it's the best place he's ever been(he's only 8), other one is a little too young to have formed an opinion (well he's not talking as yet lol)
I'm pretty sure you've got most things covered and will enjoy it out there, especially as your expectations seem to be very realistic.
We're heading to Melbourne once we get round to going through the whole visa process, I'm counting the days but still a bit too many days for my likeing to pass, very much positive about wanting to move but wouldn't be the end of the world if it never happens, got a great family, live in a nice part of England, got all my comforts around me, don't NEED to move but just want something else.
I wish you good luck in your travels
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:04 am
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yeah your not allowed to speak for me thats the wifes job lol

I stand in your hubbies boat as I'm the one getting the Australia idea under way! But I very much doubt we'll regret it and I know my eldest is really up for the move as he's continually maintained he wants to go and live there and it's the best place he's ever been(he's only 8), other one is a little too young to have formed an opinion (well he's not talking as yet lol)
I'm pretty sure you've got most things covered and will enjoy it out there, especially as your expectations seem to be very realistic.
We're heading to Melbourne once we get round to going through the whole visa process, I'm counting the days but still a bit too many days for my likeing to pass, very much positive about wanting to move but wouldn't be the end of the world if it never happens, got a great family, live in a nice part of England, got all my comforts around me, don't NEED to move but just want something else.
I wish you good luck in your travels
Thanks so much.

You do live in a nice part of England! I lived in York for a while, loved it there. Really friendly place.

We are off to Melbourne too! Good luck with the Visa.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 10:42 pm
Banned

connaust is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you need to chance ot live and work for 6-12 months and see if you want to live in Oz? I would suggest looking at career training study, economic, not too difficult and gives youi tem residency and work rights. If you are happy to stays then do you PR, if not you can return to UK.

Cheers Andrew

Originally Posted by Thadie
Well we did the recce trip to Adelaide....nice city and surrounds but hubby could not see himself living there ! He wants to go check out Perth! For me, I am sure you could find a nice area to live but.....well just but! We did a sort of holiday/research trip so did the zoo, wildlife park, beach etc as well as houses, schools, jobs (I was not impressed with the job situation. I was told I would have to go back to graduate level as I have not passed the aus tax and company law exams.......and husband would take about 4-6 months before he could get his licence to trade as an electrician. I thought our jobs were on the in demand list) ! Houses were pretty expensive in the good suburbs close to the city. The Hills were lovely !

I want to make sure Australia is the right place before we make a move. I don't believe it is as easy as "if you don't like it come home". We would lose our place on the housing market, our businesses would no longer exist and it would take a number of years back in the UK to get back to where we are now if at all. Not to mention the upheaval for the children.
Perhaps I am not a risk taker......I did not fall in love with Australia like I have with some places in Europe.

Do you think this is a normal way to feel......should I try Perth or just call it a day ?
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:59 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Just read in Emigrate magazine, ' Adelaide is where you are born and where you return to die' !!!!!!!