Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should i bother to get an Aussie driving license (for better work prospects).

Should i bother to get an Aussie driving license (for better work prospects).

Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should i bother to get an Aussie driving license (for better work prospects).

In order to increase chances of getting better jobs on my working holiday to Australia, i am considering getting an Australian driving license, however should i bother as it seems like i have to go through quite a few hoops to get it, there are probation periods, and each state needs its own license, and i need to update it each time? There is no federal version. How better are my chances with a license for ENTRY LEVEL jobs? does the hourly pay rate increase for jobs needing a license? i won't have my own car, and i don't intend to buy a van and travel around Australia either. I already know how to drive, and my original license expired many years ago, now i don't have a license and in order to renew it i have to go back home, which is not an option right now, so should I bother here?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:30 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should i bother to get an Aussie driving license (for better work prospects).

Originally Posted by sandia911
In order to increase chances of getting better jobs on my working holiday to Australia, i am considering getting an Australian driving license, however should i bother as it seems like i have to go through quite a few hoops to get it, there are probation periods, and each state needs its own license, and i need to update it each time? There is no federal version. How better are my chances with a license for ENTRY LEVEL jobs? does the hourly pay rate increase for jobs needing a license? i won't have my own car, and i don't intend to buy a van and travel around Australia either. I already know how to drive, and my original license expired many years ago, now i don't have a license and in order to renew it i have to go back home, which is not an option right now, so should I bother here?
If you don't have a current valid driving licence, then I doubt you will be able to get an Aussie one. Certainly in SA, you have to show your current driving licence when you apply for an Aussie one.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should i bother to get an Aussie driving license (for better work prospects).

Well it seems like a moot question. If you don't have any kind of valid licence at moment, you are not going to be able to get an Australia one (without doing the whole learner driver, test, log book thing they do here).
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point

So just because a person's original license is expired you're telling me Australia won't let them apply for a new one. Basically closing all doors...
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can apply for a learners permit and take a test and get a license that way, starting from scratch but they wont give you one in exchange for an expired foreign one. Why are you not able to renew you old license, where are you from? If you can renew your old one then you could exchange it for an Australian one.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So just because a person's original license is expired you're telling me Australia won't let them apply for a new one. Basically closing all doors...
Who's telling you that?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

If it was still valid within the last five years you can get one.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...nisedcountries

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 26th 2013 at 7:15 am.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

It actually depends on which "ENTRY LEVEL" jobs you want to apply for, doesn't it. Please be more specific with your comment as to "entry level jobs" as there are jobs that don't need any licence at all and there are others, that do. If the job needs a valid licence, you will have to get one otherwise you will not be considered for the position in the first place, so hourly rates won't come into the equation...... Some jobs require ID documentation, such a drivers licence to be placed on an application for, for the purposes of the 100 point identification check........

If you drive any vehicle without a valid licence, you will surely get to know some of Australia's finest law enforcement people......

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 27th 2013 at 8:14 am.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:08 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the country of issue for your original License. I suspect that the way you are writing and putting things across it is not UK.
Each State does indeed have its own license but once you get one you can drive in any State unless you wish to stay there permanently in which case you just apply for that States license using the one you have.
As for getting the license, I suggest you look at each State's own regulations and work it out from there.
Also, some States will only give you a Temporary License anyway, 12 months.