Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shortest day V longest day

Shortest day V longest day

Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Shortest day V longest day

For many of us on here its our first shortest day in june

I was just wondering how early darkness falls in various states in deep mid winter It might be of interest to the poms too

PS. just to cheer those of us on the darkside up, it gets 2 mins lighter a day as of tomorrow

PPS. its a chance for you others to be smug and tell us how light it is (and warm) overthere
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:21 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah roll on our extra 2 mins of light per day. Its even harder when working nightshift, I only see around 3 hours of daylight per day just now although I remember Winter in Scotland it could start getting dark at 3 to 3.30pm & I'd never see daylight for months.
23 years of working nights & rapidly becoming a vampire.

ps How was the hangover on Sunday morning Hevs ???
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:25 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Well, it was the longest day in this hemisphere. Then again, I slept through most of it.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:04 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane today is 06:38 Sunrise and 17:02 sunset

London is 04:42 and 21:20

and for those who really don't like to sleep in the dark Reykjavik (sp?) sunrise is 02:58 and sunset 00:00, i.e 3 hours darkness!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:38 am
rudo1ph

OOOO I hadn't realised that!!!! For some reason it doesn't seem as dark as the shortest day in the UK

Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:39 am
ABCDiamond

Weather Commentary for Thredbo area:

Isolated snow showers persisted on Sunday, but will continue to clear rapidly as the large high over SA moves over the eastern states. This high will result in a spell of sunny weather and frosty nights until Wednesday, when the next front is expected to pass through. A low pressure system crossing Bass Strait may result in moderately low snow levels, but there is not a large amount of precipitation expected. Next weekend is looking clear and dry with light winds and excellent conditions.

Forecast:
Wednesday Light snowfalls developing. 5cm of snow
Thursday Scattered snow showers. 10cm of snow
Friday Light snowfalls clearing. 5cm of snow

Old Jun 21st 2004, 6:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by rudo1ph
OOOO I hadn't realised that!!!! For some reason it doesn't seem as dark as the shortest day in the UK
Anyone know the sunset and sunrise times for the UK on the shortest day ?

Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Is there anything OZ V's UK that has not been measured

What next body parts

IQ's would be very interesting

Bank balances, at say retirement.

Average net worth.

Moles hang on I think we did that already

Size of your bathtub, thats new.

One fact I found fascinating was that Poms actually "do it" more than Aussies, Belgians won but they were probably bored, fascinating fact was in the OZ Sunday Mail just before I departed.

Just helping with some fresh ideas
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
According to www.sunrisesunset.com, on the shortest day in the UK (21st December), sunset in London is 3.52pm and sunrise is 8.02am.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:29 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
For London, it's about 08:05 sunrise and about 15:59 sunset (although the sun actually sets a bit earlier than that before the shortest day, because of wobbles in the earth's rotation).

By the time you get as far north as Aberdeen, though, the sun rises at 08:45 or thereabouts and sets at 15:25 or thereabouts.

There's a website that calculates these things, provided you know the latitude etc of the place you are checking for: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

As for Reykjavik - yes, only three hours' between sunset and sunrise on the longest day but, in fact, it never gets dark in the middle of summer at that high latitude since the sun doesn't dip far enough below the horizon for darkness to fall. Of course, they pay for this in the winter!

Last edited by CPW; Jun 21st 2004 at 7:41 am.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:09 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The historic "accident" is that the June 21 solstice occurs nearly at the same time as aphelion, July 4, when the earth is most distant to the sun.

Conversely, the December 21 solstice occurs at nearly the same time as perihelion, January 4, when the earth is closest to the sun.

If the two were reversed, only global warming would prevent London from being scraped off EurAsia by an ice sheet.

(In the diagram, north pole is "up")

The Analemma (equation of solar to siderial [star] time):

This diagram is a bit easier to read:

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 21st 2004 at 8:28 am.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

eerrrmm, cheers for that Megs

Melbourne got dark at 5.30 this evening, heres to 5.32 tomorrow
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Is there anything OZ V's UK that has not been measured

What next body parts

IQ's would be very interesting

Bank balances, at say retirement.

Average net worth.

Moles hang on I think we did that already

Size of your bathtub, thats new.

One fact I found fascinating was that Poms actually "do it" more than Aussies, Belgians won but they were probably bored, fascinating fact was in the OZ Sunday Mail just before I departed.

Just helping with some fresh ideas
What about vacuousness of your average ex-ex-pat?
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
What about vacuousness of your average ex-ex-pat?
I can't remember if you've ever revealed what you do for a living Megs but you should consider putting of your thoughts down in print.

I think Bill Bryson recently published a book along the lines of "A Short History of Nearly Everything".

Your book could be along similar lines, perhaps "A Short Explanation of Absolutely Everything" by Megalania.....
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:44 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

and if it will make any of you aussies feel better, it was 14 degC in scunthorpe (uk) yesterday. It was nearly winter woolie weather!!! *shivers*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.