Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short term rentals in Sydney anyone?

Short term rentals in Sydney anyone?

Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tatyana R will become famous soon enoughTatyana R will become famous soon enough
Default Short term rentals in Sydney anyone?

Hi there,

Have been running around like a headless chicken the past few weeks and am only starting to consider where we are going to stay when we arrive in Sydney in 2.5 weeks time.

So, what I need is a holiday let or similar for 2 weeks or so but experienced backpacker so cheap and cheerful will do. No children etc. Then we can look for a tenancy. As central as possible.

Anyone out there got any suggestions on places you have been to or definetly do NOT recommend?

Your assistance is once again very much appreciated.

Stressed out Tatyana!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tatyana R will become famous soon enoughTatyana R will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Short term rentals in Sydney anyone?

Originally Posted by Tatyana R
Hi there,

Have been running around like a headless chicken the past few weeks and am only starting to consider where we are going to stay when we arrive in Sydney in 2.5 weeks time.

So, what I need is a holiday let or similar for 2 weeks or so but experienced backpacker so cheap and cheerful will do. No children etc. Then we can look for a tenancy. As central as possible.

Anyone out there got any suggestions on places you have been to or definetly do NOT recommend?

Stressed out Tatyana!
Nobody?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Chris T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tatyana, my post is not very helpful but it may generate others for you.

I looked into renting when i got to Adelaide, thought may as well rent while im working. Renting is very different than back home, the fourms you have to fill in, the deposit, and whether they even except you. I didn't bother in the end, so im still in my van (and very old at that). - Someone on here must be able to give you better advice!!!

I can only tell you the place i stayed, outside of Sydney Called manly (http://www.manlybungalow.com/). Very cool area and about 20 min boat ride past the opera house to get into Sydney. The place was really nice to stay, think there was about 12 bungalows, so good place to get your feet wet before you hit the hostels\backpackers. But all depends on want you want to do.

Good luck
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:01 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Waldorf apartments for somewhere very nice not cheap but have everything you need for an extended stay.

Other people we know used Big 4 caravan parks. If you are planning on renting in the City longer term then obviously you will want to be in the thick of things not sure what your budget is.

Try doing a search on this site as many others have given good advice about the inner suburbs.

http://www.shortstays.net/
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Bermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Stressed out Tatyana!
You could try this.

http://www.blueparrot.com.au/homepage.html

Calls its self a backpackers, but I think they do double rooms as well. I've not stayed there, but I walk past it most days, and have been told it is nice.

Less than 10 min walk from King Cross, but a world away in terms of nice cafes, bars and shops round about.

Would be about 15 min walk into the CBD.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:22 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Nobody?
backpackers places are numerous in certain areas like Bondi, Kinds X or Manly
pick up the latest lonely planet or have a look on their thorn tree forum for some recommendations
it's been years since i stayed in one it'd be difficult to name one

but there is one i've mentioned to a few people on here before
the city yha is a really good option, smart, clean and cheap, it's near central station i think, got an internet cafe in the foyer and a sauna and pool on the roof

if you're looking for something a bit more salubrious than the yha you could have a look at www.rent-a-home.com.au and see if you can find something within your budget

good luck
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:03 am
Just Joined

moonstone is an unknown quantity at this point

try roslyn gardens - elizebeth bay/kings cross - close to everyhting and self-contained rooms. nice people - and cheap (but better than staying in a backpackers.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

we stayed here a couple of years ago....
http://www.coogeesands.com.au/
They have a range of rooms. If you dont want sea view you can get them cheap -- could be worth a phonecall and a barter at this time of year.....
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Keep them coming!

Many thanks everyone really useful info