Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short term rentals (NZ)

Short term rentals (NZ)

Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Short term rentals (NZ)

Is it possible to get short term rentals in NZ? I'm thinking in terms of 6-15 weeks. With the rental costs of apartments or small houses, it would sure beat a long stay at a motel.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, You can either fix the term of your rental or have a roll on one where you have to give 21days notice & you landlord has to give 42 days notice if he/she wants you to leave
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nell m
Yep, You can either fix the term of your rental or have a roll on one where you have to give 21days notice & you landlord has to give 42 days notice if he/she wants you to leave
Thanks, that sounds promising. 3 weeks' notice is a bit more than I'd like but probably doable.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:43 pm
Judy&Alun

Dodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant future

Be warned the properties that do this are usualyshit holes.
i looked at loads of properties in a wide area but some of them where bug city.
Everybody has there standards but are yours the same as the last tenant?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Dodsonfamily
Be warned the properties that do this are usualyshit holes.
i looked at loads of properties in a wide area but some of them where bug city.
Everybody has there standards but are yours the same as the last tenant?
Fair point, but I'm not looking purely for the cheapest option. Even cheap motels can work out at more than $500 per week. I would expect to save $200 or more on an expensive small property rental. Am I too naive in assuming that you get what you pay for?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

In Auckland there are quite a few serviced apartments springing up (a new one has gone up in Newmarket) not sure on the price but I would have thought around the 500 mark??
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:29 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Short term rentals (NZ)

Originally posted by sofistek
Is it possible to get short term rentals in NZ? I'm thinking in terms of 6-15 weeks. With the rental costs of apartments or small houses, it would sure beat a long stay at a motel.

You could always look at the holiday parks - they have apartments that are self contained from about $60 a night, which is cheaper than a hotel.....if you have some form of cheap transport then they should be easily accessible just outside the main cities etc.

We managed to score a place when we first got to Wellington that we had on a month by month basis - all we had to do was give notice in the last week that we were staying or going...so they are out there...it wasn't too bad either ... furniture was grubby, but we covered it up. Other that that it was pretty clean, though a bit damp...however, most places in NZ are damp, so you have to accept this....give me central heating and double glazing any day....

Rich.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I am currently looking for a short term let in Hawkes Bay. Our rental finishes end of Jan when our house was supposed to be ready. However the house isn't ready until maybe March. Blooody inconvenient as we have all our stuff here now and more importantly a dog (quick get the crucifix).

Tried Motels - very difficult as many weekend events in Hawkes Bay so would have to vacate at weekends. Maybe able to find a place in grotty Hastings at $60 a night. Oh the dog will have to go to friends (the builder has offered too).

Apartment/Holiday villages - same story.

Rental - 21 days notice but again very difficult with dog and few in the area available. If happy to go into rural isolation in the country maybe able to find one. However wife on-call and unhappy when I'm on nights.

House sitting - need loads of references etc. What happens if house not ready.

Hire a caravan and live on building site - very steep slope. Wife like 'luxuries'.

Extended holiday in Fiji - no leave available.

Buy that second home before main home. Furnish it out cheaply and rent to the likes of Sofistek. Thats an idea but with Crimbo NZ closes till mid-January. This is a great idea as Hawkes Bay is afloat with English doctors here for six/twelve months.

Still looking.

Roger
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:27 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek

Tony - a lot depends on how crafty you are. The landlord/ tenancy laws favour the tenant here. If they let you have a rental contract, you only need (legally) to keep to the letter of the law and that allows you to give fairly short notice. If they know you're not planning on a long let, they probably won't be too happy and you won't get the flat/ house. But if you are crafty you won't let on that it's short term.

I'm not advising you to be economical with the truth, nor making any ethical judgments, just telling you the way it could work. Keep stumm about it being short-term.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

our house is being rented out until we get there, its a nice four bedroomed brick & Tile one, it looks like it's been decorated by father ted (in fact it is the old prespetry - sp?) but because its a bit out of the way (1/2 hour from New plymouth) we can only charge $130 per week, so there are some decent ones out there, but you do have to look carefully!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pleasancefamily I'm not advising you to be economical with the truth, nor making any ethical judgments, just telling you the way it could work. Keep stumm about it being short-term.
Thanks, Don.

It might not be short term, of course. If I find work, I would likely keep it on for a lot longer but, equally, I might have to move around the country, staying only a few weeks in each area. This is all up in the air but I wanted to find out if there was a reasonable expectation of living in a proper home while I'm there.

Does anyone know if there are any complications to renting a home as a British citizen on a visitor's visa?