Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short term rental Carrum Downs area Melbourne

Short term rental Carrum Downs area Melbourne

Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Question Short term rental Carrum Downs area Melbourne

Hi can anyone help.

We arrive in Melbourne on the 16th March and need somewhere to stay until we manage to secure a permanent rental (anyone any idea how long this usually takes?)

Anyway, I was recommended M2M but the one they have is full and the other are out of our price range.

any advice greatly appreciated

oh before I forget - we are a family of 5 but really only need 2 bedrooms as the kids end up in our anyway.....

thanks again,

Shelley
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short term rental Carrum Downs area Melbourne

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi can anyone help.

We arrive in Melbourne on the 16th March and need somewhere to stay until we manage to secure a permanent rental (anyone any idea how long this usually takes?)

Anyway, I was recommended M2M but the one they have is full and the other are out of our price range.

any advice greatly appreciated

oh before I forget - we are a family of 5 but really only need 2 bedrooms as the kids end up in our anyway.....

thanks again,

Shelley
Shelley
Did you get any pointers from Kate of M2M?

What budget did you have in mind (this might help people filter out advice)

There is a Big4 on the frankston-Dandenong road? about 5 mins drive from Carrum Downs.

There are also some caravan parks? None of which I have been inside to make comment on
- On Neapean in Seaford?
- On Frankston- Dandenong road (actually in Carrum Downs itself)
- In Langwarrin area near Murdochs art gallery?
- There was one near Chelsea?

Finding longer term accomodation depends on the week you are looking and how long you spend. I would suggest take the first decent place for a term of 6 months (that way if it doesn't work out you only have 6 months)

Feel free to PM if you need further help or assistance
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Is there a reason you want to be in Carrum Downs? You're going to struggle if you concentrate on one area, I struggled to find short term acommodation at a reasonable price and we were willing to go anywhere in Melbourne. We are actually going to be renting M2M's Carrum Downs house in October/November.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Is there a reason you want to be in Carrum Downs? You're going to struggle if you concentrate on one area, I struggled to find short term acommodation at a reasonable price and we were willing to go anywhere in Melbourne. We are actually going to be renting M2M's Carrum Downs house in October/November.
I don't know Melbourne at all as we were previously going up to Brisbane & the Gold Coast... job markets gone pear shaped and the only job he has been offered is in Carrum Downs, hence why I put the area in the post. When we did our reccie last April we stayed at one end of the Gold Coast and ended up spending most of our time driving to the places we thought we would end up living - we don't want to do the same thing again. We know from speaking to others that we want to be on that side of Melbourne and it just made sense to look for rentals in that area. Take your point on limiting our options though... just have to keep looking and hope that we come up with something before we land.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Shelley
Did you get any pointers from Kate of M2M?

What budget did you have in mind (this might help people filter out advice)

There is a Big4 on the frankston-Dandenong road? about 5 mins drive from Carrum Downs.

There are also some caravan parks? None of which I have been inside to make comment on
- On Neapean in Seaford?
- On Frankston- Dandenong road (actually in Carrum Downs itself)
- In Langwarrin area near Murdochs art gallery?
- There was one near Chelsea?

Finding longer term accomodation depends on the week you are looking and how long you spend. I would suggest take the first decent place for a term of 6 months (that way if it doesn't work out you only have 6 months)

Feel free to PM if you need further help or assistance
Hi GG
We did quote up for the Dandenong Big 4 but it came back at $965 per week for a cabin and that was for the week before the Easter Holidays which is when the prices go higher. So out of the owners that advertise on our site 70% of them are cheaper than staying on a campsite in the middle of Dandenong.

We also quoted up for the Quest Apartments, the cheapest being $1300 a week.

The Chelsea Heights one we have had a couple of people stay at and although they book in for 4 weeks they have left after 1 week. Even the 2 bed are very small and although for a weeks holiday they are perfect, when you have approx 10 suitcases with all your belongings in there isn't any room left to move.

Kate
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
Hi GG
- Dandenong Big 4 $965 per week
- Quest Apartments, $1300 a week.
- The Chelsea Heights people book for 4 weeks left after 1 week.
Thanks Kate

I am shocked at the Dandenong I thought it must be a sub $500 place but just goes to show what a bargain your places are.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? to help out the OP
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

I'm not sure how much help this may be to the OP but we found an apartment in South Yarra through not1night.com.au which suited us perfectly.

As there is just the 2 of us we only needed 1 bedroom but this is a fully serviced apartment with full kitchen facilities. It even includes a dishwasher and washer / dryer!

They do have plenty of other properties through the website and although they are mainly apartments, there is the odd townhouse too.

It might be worth a look for anyone wanting a first place to stay when they land.

Charlene