British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   short term lets in mandurah regions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/short-term-lets-mandurah-regions-808001/)

neilster72 Sep 2nd 2013 9:39 pm

short term lets in mandurah regions

Hi , me and my wife and two young kids are in final process of migrating to mandurrah, we are gonna rent somewhere, but as we need to be there to check out areas and stuff and look at houses and schools, we will be looking for a furnished let at first for arriving, From looking on the net, we like the look of halls head, meadow springs lakelands and dudley park, are these places nice to settle with kids and could anyone tell me of any short term lets and how i would go about securing one for us arriving in january,,,cheers neil

old.sparkles Sep 2nd 2013 10:23 pm

Re: short term lets in mandurah regions

Originally Posted by neilster72 (Post 10882449)
Hi , me and my wife and two young kids are in final process of migrating to mandurrah, we are gonna rent somewhere, but as we need to be there to check out areas and stuff and look at houses and schools, we will be looking for a furnished let at first for arriving, From looking on the net, we like the look of halls head, meadow springs lakelands and dudley park, are these places nice to settle with kids and could anyone tell me of any short term lets and how i would go about securing one for us arriving in january,,,cheers neil

Have you tried booking a holiday let? I booked through HomeAway this time, and previously used Stayz but there are others.

neilster72 Sep 3rd 2013 9:19 pm

Hi, thanks, yeh i have tried holiday lets, do you live in mandurah? if so do you know shannon rd? there is a townhouse furnished for 420 per week, but as ive never been there, i dont know where is good and where is bad

old.sparkles Sep 3rd 2013 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by neilster72 (Post 10884222)
Hi, thanks, yeh i have tried holiday lets, do you live in mandurah? if so do you know shannon rd? there is a townhouse furnished for 420 per week, but as ive never been there, i dont know where is good and where is bad

Sorry, I'm Adelaide. I think you can get an idea of suburbs from realestate and other websites, but it's only temporary while you look for long term let so not as bad if you get it a little wrong.

neilster72 Sep 3rd 2013 9:28 pm

Thats very true, it is only temp until we look for somthing more permanent, just a base really at first....thanks;)

billymacker Sep 5th 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by neilster72 (Post 10884222)

hi
Shannon rd is not a bad area but there is a lot of old house's there and a lot of new ones.

Jacqui Sep 9th 2013 1:25 pm

Shannon Rd as a short term let would be ok as it puts you in the heart of Mandurah, but not for long-term I don't think (see my answers on previous threads). My biggest concern for you would be the cost of $420 per week!! Average rent for a 4 bedroom house is around $250 per week. If it takes you longer than expected to find a house to rent/buy or longer than expected to find work, that will be costly.

That's just reminded me - I read an article in this week's local and it made me think of you, something about the number of new housing applications reaching an all time high for this region - and in particular the northern suburbs of Lakelands and Madora Bay. Some 250 houses set to be built there soon (forget exact details, paper's in the bin now). But that's got to be good news for someone looking for tiling work soon :thumbsup:

Arriving in January - this is peak holiday season, and remember - Mandurah is a holiday destination! Holiday lets/hotels etc will be charging rooms at higher rates and getting booked up already, just something to bear in mind.

Your children will be starting school first week of February, so at least they can enjoy themselves "on holiday" for a bit when first arriving, but you won't be able to enrol them anywhere until you have some rental paperwork as proof of living in the school's catchment area. It will make it easier for your children to fit in and settle down by starting at the beginning of the school year with all the other newbies, but you don't have much time on your side. And you will be traipsing around looking at schools and suburbs in 30+ temperatures :ohmy:

Luma Sep 9th 2013 5:56 pm

4x2 are normally more than $250 in the areas where they are looking. Might be the price in town centre.
You need to stay in area where you want to enroll you kids into school as some catchment areas are strict for public schools.

reiwa.com.au

Originally Posted by Jacqui (Post 10892581)
Shannon Rd as a short term let would be ok as it puts you in the heart of Mandurah, but not for long-term I don't think (see my answers on previous threads). My biggest concern for you would be the cost of $420 per week!! Averae rent for a 4 bedroom house is around $250 per week. If it takes you longer than expected to find a house to rent/buy or longer than expected to find work, that will be costly.

That's just reminded me - I read an article in this week's local and it made me think of you, something about the number of new housing applications reaching an all time high for this region - and in particular the northern suburbs of Lakelands and Madora Bay. Some 250 houses set to be built there soon (forget exact details, paper's in the bin now). But that's got to be good news for someone looking for tiling work soon :thumbsup:

Arriving in January - this is peak holiday season, and remember - Mandurah is a holiday destination! Holiday lets/hotels etc will be charging rooms at higher rates and getting booked up already, just something to bear in mind.

Your children will be starting school first week of February, so at least they can enjoy themselves "on holiday" for a bit when first arriving, but you won't be able to enrol them anywhere until you have some rental paperwork as proof of living in the school's catchment area. It will make it easier for your children to fit in and settle down by starting at the beginning of the school year with all the other newbies, but you don't have much time on your side. And you will be traipsing around looking at schools and suburbs in 30+ temperatures :ohmy:

neilster72 Sep 9th 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jacqui (Post 10892581)
Shannon Rd as a short term let would be ok as it puts you in the heart of Mandurah, but not for long-term I don't think (see my answers on previous threads). My biggest concern for you would be the cost of $420 per week!! Average rent for a 4 bedroom house is around $250 per week. If it takes you longer than expected to find a house to rent/buy or longer than expected to find work, that will be costly.

Hey Jacqui, thank you so much for your message.... Its so hard, there is lots of unfurnished and lots of houses in streets i know nothing about, davy st, hackett st, shannon rd, peel st, I want to go to a nice area, not a run down area, so its hard just looking on the net. AS for the price, i cant see anything cheaper.... there is also an apartment in marco polo quay, its around $500 fully furnished, is this good, and a nice area...We really like halls head, but cant see any fully furnished, any ideas? thanks, neil

EvannTel Sep 10th 2013 12:10 am

Neil

Not 100% sure of your plans once here but what is very typical for new arrivals is the following.
1) secure holiday type furnished accommodation prior to leaving UK. These are typically readily available, furnished and available for short term lets. As Mandurah is a holiday town there are plenty of these. However if I have gathered right and you are coming in January, you may find many of these have already been let. Also these are normally fairly easy to secure these from overseas. They do however often cost more than $500 per week due to holiday nature.
2) Once people get here often they use the time to explore the suburbs and streets they like then go onto realestate.com.au or domain.com.au and search for houses in the areas they like. These are usually unfurnished. Also they are normally minimum 6 'month lets and also virtually impossible to secure from overseas.

This strategy has been used by many.
If you found yourself in a holiday let outside of Halls Head you would need to talks the schools about access for the kids, I can't helps with that's I'm afraid.

Jacqui Sep 10th 2013 10:13 am

Marco Polo Quay, very upmarket, new apartments for the wealthy, in the "new" tourist part of town. Would be fabulous I'm sure :) all depends on how long you can afford $500 per week. Would take your wife half-an-hour to walk to the nearest primary school from there though (not much fun when temperatures are in 30's or 40's and only one really old school to choose from). If you want to spend your first couple of weeks in "holiday mode" it might be ok, would have to be luxury living at that price!

You're looking for a "nice area", doesn't everyone? Not to put too much on a downer of things for you - if you are hoping to escape Scotland because of the horrible youths roaming the streets, drug addicts, burglaries, long hospital waiting lists, underpaid and unmotivated teachers, corrupt police officers, extremist ethnic groups, lying/greedy politicians with their own interests at heart or whatever else is making the headlines in the U.K. - it's no different here. "Here" as in any Australian cities or a lovely town like Mandurah. The weather and beaches are bloody brilliant though :thumbup:

Are you on Facebook? Read some of the comments that go up. Try and get a feel for the "locals". Today's news - another drug lab found in Halls Head :thumbdown:. https://www.facebook.com/mandurahmai...ocation=stream

Jacqui Sep 11th 2013 8:53 am

[QUOTE=Luma;10893020]4x2 are normally more than $250 in the areas where they are looking./QUOTE]

I stand corrected Luma, your post prompted me to look at the real estate pages in this week's Coastal Times. I'm shocked! I knew rentals were in short supply, but hadn't realised just how much this had affected weekly rents. Sorry Neil (and anyone else looking to settle in Mandurah), it's more expensive than I thought. Really wish we had kept our house in Halls Head now, it would have made a lovely rental for new arrivals, we didn't even have a mortgage on it, what was I thinking? :frown: Anyway, looks like the weekly rent will be around $350 for an older house, $450+ for a newer house in a "more desirable" area close to schools, shops & transport.

brits1 Sep 11th 2013 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by neilster72 (Post 10882449)

Hi Neil,

Do you need to have a furnished rental as it would cost much more and put pressure on you if your having your items shipped over as if you have not found somewhere by then you would have to pay storage and as mentioned it will be peak season for Mandurah for holiday rentals (not bad if your only thinking of a couple of weeks or so or if you have no money concerns). All the best with your search

neilster72 Sep 11th 2013 9:23 pm

Hi there, to be honest we were not going to bring our furniture over. Our plan was to rent a furnished holiday or short term and then look at areas where we want to settle and look for an unfurnished place.. While in the short term let we were hoping to buy furniture and maybe store it in garage until we get our long term let.....To be honest, it around £3000 to ship our own and takes 12 weeks, so we thought to sell what we could here, then the £3000 we would pay shipping, put that with what we made and just get new furniture, then no waiting, does that make sense....lol....only thing is, the holiday and short term lets are all around $140 per night, jeeso, thats a bummer

EvannTel Sep 11th 2013 10:53 pm

Your best hope for lowering ago term lets is to aim for arrival end of jan or even better Feb when holiday season is over and offer to take for 2 months or so.
This secures the letter income at a time they otherwise might not.

Try quest in halls head, my brother comes for 6 months and has managed to secure good deals there.