Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short-term internet connection with USB modem

Short-term internet connection with USB modem

Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Short-term internet connection with USB modem

I have just been looking at modems today in the UK (3G, Vodafone, T-Mobile, etc). Apparently you can just plug them into your laptop and away you go (or your PC) - it's like using your phone as a modem but cheaper (you use a plug-in USB device instead).

The deals I saw today were £15/month and you get 3gb of downloads per month. With 3GB you could download 200 tunes and 100 video clips, send 2000 emails and surf for 100 hours.

Downside is 24 month contract. You can get 12 months or 30 day contract, but you then have to pay for the modem and more for the contract (which is obviously worth it if you intend to only use it in the short term - Modem cost is £99 and £20/month if you have the 30 day contact).

My thinking is if they do this in Oz then it would be a great way of using the internet in the short term and also good if you have to wait for the internet to be provided when in your long term accommodation.

Is it available in Oz and is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks
Melanie
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:03 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Short-term internet connection with USB modem

we are looking for short term connection for here in uk. I have bt broadband but the feckers wont let me move it to mother in laws phone line unless we either put the line in our name or put boradband in hers which means a new contract:curse:. To break the contract will mean we will have to pay another £200.

Have seen a few deals around but it will have to go in mils name not ours so that is going to be fun getting her to try and sort it otherwise its a case of doing without but the run up to going to oz will be when we need it most nothing is straighforward is it!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

No, as you say, nothing is straightforward!!!

Might be worth looking at buying a modem (£99) here on 30 day contract, then maybe be able to use the same modem with a new contract in Oz if it's with the same provider.

A long shot I know, but maybe worth a look.

How long have you got till you go?

Melanie

What about dial-up - slow I know but ok for short term.

Last edited by melaniepittam; Feb 21st 2008 at 6:31 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:04 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

been trying to see if o2 offer anything similar but looks unlikely. could try a dial up connection i guess
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
been trying to see if o2 offer anything similar but looks unlikely. could try a dial up connection i guess
Doubt very much that Aus is that advanced yet.......
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniepittam
No, as you say, nothing is straightforward!!!

Might be worth looking at buying a modem (£99) here on 30 day contract, then maybe be able to use the same modem with a new contract in Oz if it's with the same provider.

A long shot I know, but maybe worth a look.

How long have you got till you go?

Melanie

What about dial-up - slow I know but ok for short term.
I was talking to the 3 man about this just the other day but in reverse.

Modems, like phones are locked to the provider and the providers whilst having the same name in the two countries (vodaphone, 3 and Virgin are the ones that spring to mind - we dont seem to have O2 any more!) they are quite different companies. The 3 man found out for me that you can get the modems unlocked by calling the company but I have yet to discover if that is true. He was very surprised that they could be unlocked!!!

I am not sure about PAYG schemes here although I know that you can do it in UK. I think if I wanted to do it in UK I would need to still pay another L99 for a sim card even if I had my own modem.

It is definitely cheaper to get a 24 month contract - you would pay about $30 a month for the 24 months for a couple of gb. Only disadvantage is that the broadband coverage is still quite limited - only major metropolitan areas so you would need to check out the coverage maps very carefully. Whilst Canberra and Melbourne are OK I wouldnt get coverage if we go to the inlaws place down in Ballarat for example.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:30 pm
looking for my marbles

just haook at 3. Think i am going to buy a dongle then top up every month until we go to oz. 3 network also covers oz but they dont have payg there just contract, so can always flog the dongle later on on ebay. That way we stay connected and dont have to worry about contracts
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

just haook at 3. Think i am going to buy a dongle then top up every month until we go to oz. 3 network also covers oz but they dont have payg there just contract, so can always flog the dongle later on on ebay. That way we stay connected and dont have to worry about contracts
Your UK dongle wont work in Aus unless you can get it unlocked. 3 here is a totally different company.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:53 pm
looking for my marbles

just spoke to 3 and they said it will work in oz but oz dont do payg would have to top up from uk. Might bob in to a 3 shop sometime and have a proper look
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:54 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by quoll
Your UK dongle wont work in Aus unless you can get it unlocked. 3 here is a totally different company.
how would u unlock a dongle lol
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:13 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to get mobile Internet over here, then you're best off with Telstra Next-G - Voda and Optus have pathetic coverage levels in comparison. You can use a PAYG sim to access the Internet, but it's not very cost effective.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

gawd knows!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:18 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by Hutch
If you're going to get mobile Internet over here, then you're best off with Telstra Next-G - Voda and Optus have pathetic coverage levels in comparison. You can use a PAYG sim to access the Internet, but it's not very cost effective.
Hutch it will only be a short term solution, its more for when we move into mother in laws in a couple of weeks until we get to oz, at least i know it will work there though even if its not the greatest to start with. as long as i can get to my emails i wont suffer
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

According to the 3 man you just have to have it connected to a computer and they will talk you through how to do it. As I said, not tried it myself. If you are going to use the UK account then you will have to pay international roaming fees and that is very$$$$$.

HUtch is right, Telstra have far and away the best coverage and some of the other networks actually hop off onto the Telstra network if they dont have coverage and it costs a mint because it is charged differently.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for info. Just looked up Telstra Next-G and it looks like you're paying about £164 for the fast USB modem, and £54/month for 3GB/month download. (Expensive, but maybe worth it when going to a new country to live and the hassle it will save)! - comments please

The contract is for 12 months, but it says that you can change your plan free of charge at any time, so I'm assuming that when I find permanent accommodation, I would just be able to change to a normal internet connection FOC - or do you think this would this be classed as a completely different type of contract?

One other question - Does anyone know how much data allowance is used when using skype?

Thankyou

Melanie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.