Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short-term accommodation - Nothing yet.

Short-term accommodation - Nothing yet.

Old Sep 6th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Short-term accommodation - Nothing yet.

I am looking a place to stay while I find a flat to rent and the only thing I've managed to get a reply is a one bedroom flat in $1000 for 8 nights full of conditions. Not sure about the prices in Sydney but for me is too much considering that I'm going alone and that my budget is $2000pcm once my wife is with me.
- I found a nice hostel but I'd share the room with a bunch of kids and this one is quite expensive as well.
- I have sent like 20 emails through Gumtree for a short-term rooms to share but not even one reply.

Do you guys have any suggestion about what can be the best way to find a decent place to stay without making a huge hole in my account? I'm starting to panicking.

Cheers

MAR
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short-term accommodation - Nothing yet.

If you are just looking for 8 nights, then why not try the single rooms in the hostel. I believe these are about AUD70 or 80 per night in Sydney at the one in the Rocks which looks nice. It is cheaper than what you have found, which actually is not a bad price for 8 nights short term or "holiday" accommodation.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple of ads for short-term accommodation on the noticeboard at a shopping centre close to a uni the other day. This was in Perth, so not much use for you, but you might find something at a shopping centre near a uni, TAFE, or English language school, or something similar.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 10:57 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Im afraid that is how australia is with answering emails, they dont bother, i send many emails out and you will be lucky to get a answer back, so with you being in UK you will be lucky to get a reply
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trevski View Post
Im afraid that is how australia is with answering emails, they dont bother, i send many emails out and you will be lucky to get a answer back, so with you being in UK you will be lucky to get a reply
Would you recommend me to chase them up?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001 View Post
Would you recommend me to chase them up?
I think he was saying it could be futile..
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Try wotif.com.au.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all!
I booked in a nice hostel an ensuite double room for the first night ($110p/n) and then I'll move to a shared room with 4 others ($40p/n)... I guess the best (and cheapest) idea is to have something sure than can be cancelled 48h before arrival while looking for something else...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:29 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Try www.holidaylettings.co.uk or www.stayz.com.au