Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

short term accom Brisbane - Cairns

short term accom Brisbane - Cairns

Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default short term accom Brisbane - Cairns

Anyone know any good short term accom up the coast from brisbane to Cairns?? Any place is weclome big or small.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: short term accom Brisbane - Cairns

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Anyone know any good short term accom up the coast from brisbane to Cairns?? Any place is weclome big or small.
1600km of coastline is bit of an ask.

I suggest you narrow down your preferred area.

WW
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

We want to travel from Brisbane to Cairns to visit 5 or 6 places to see if we actually do like them, or whether they are just nice postcards.
Were looking at Hervey Bay, Bundy, Mackay, Mission Beach and cairns.
Just thought that if anyone knows any nice little spots along the route to stop!!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

There is lots of accommodation in Hervey Bay ranging from 5* luxury to backpacking hostels. There are also a few beach front camp sites that have a fantastic veiw. Do a google search, you`ll find loads.

Angela
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

puntoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Port Hinchinbrook resort is lovely, try stopping a night or two there in one of their cabins, maybe hiring a bike and riding round the stunning marina or eating in the lovely restaurant. I'd highly recommend it to you!

http://www.porthinchinbrook.com.au/

It's about halfway between Townsville and Cairns... About 2 and a half hours and 125kms from each.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Hi Skippi

We drove from Mackay to Cairns and although the scenery was stunning the only place we would have stopped if we had longer would be near Hitchinbrook Island so we could have gone walking over there..if right time of year. I had job interview in Mackay, very pretty town centre but very quiet..I turned the job down there because of this..some lovely beaches though to the North..Eimeo beach and Bucasia Beach are lovely. We stayed at a lovely resort called Dolpin Heads beach resort..right on the beach..lovely rooms and fantastic food. Eimeo Pub is nearby for great views. Mackay itself just seemed to lack something for us. Dolphin Heads resort is about 8 hours drive from cairns...great for an overnight stop.

Also Airlie Beach is great if you want to go and spend a day out in Whitsunday islands.

Just north of Brisbane we stayed in the area of Scarborough/Redcliffe Peninsula..a lovely area. Scarborough harbour has a great seafood restaurant called Morgans..I would recommend..right on the pretty yacht harbour..its about 40 minutes drive to centre of Brisbane from there.

Skippi..is it you that lives in Kewarra Beach?? Prob getting you muddled with someone else..I spend too much time on this site!! Just signed my contract to work in cairns starting 01st march..can't wait..hope to live either just south of cairns in forest gardens or trinity beach or kewarra beach..what is smithfield like? Any tips would be great. Can you recommend anywhere to stay in Cairns, as close to work as possible (mulgrave road) that is reasonable..short term until I found a rental?
Thanks..hope it helps what I wrote!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Forgot to add..Mission beach is lovely..one of the best beaches up the coast and a nice laid back place to stay..there are quite a few resorts there near the beach...can't name any unfortunately!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

no not me sorry, wishing i lived there already, still on the other side of this world.
Were looking at Qld, but not sure where, hense the post.
Were looking to set up a cafe, lunchroom kinda place, but need to travel the coast first to decide
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Sounds nice..make sure you have a look at the beach areas north of Cairns..trinity beach,kewarra beach, yorkeys as there are restaurants and cafes by the beach there and apparently trinity beach is growing in popularity..i will have lunch there if you open up there!! We visited for a month in August and did similar..travelled up coast flying from Sydney to Brisbane and then driving the rest. hervey Bay nice but quiet..except for backpackers waiting to go to fraser Island. We adored Caorns because of the cafe, restaurant culture..it's a city but nice and compact with so much going on. The cafes there were always busy (and that was winter) as I guess people visit and go diving all year round and palm cove is nearby which is a popular resort for people coming up from colder parts of Oz..and abroad...loads of restaurants and cafes there but a bit more upmarket..depends what you want to open and your budget I guess and what market you want to aim it at..age wise.

Good luck and put a post on when you have been..would be interested to hear what you like there.

Also, if you have time..Port Douglas is 45 minute drive North of Cairns..a beautiful place..also busy with many cafes and stunning scenery and beach and a lovely marina..don't miss it if you have time..the drive alone from Cairns to Port Douglas is one of the most breathtaking roads I ahev driven on and it is all coastal. I can't wait to move there and ride my motorbike there.

cairns has a lot to see so allow time!! Rainforest, Barrier reef, Kuranda, Northern beaches, good bars and plenty of live music.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

We were looking at cairns, but since i haven't been there for a good 8 yrs or so.
We have a sandwichbar in Belgium, kind of a subway idea, but not a franchise, and more personal. I've had bars and restaurants in spain when I lived there, and now this, I'd like to combine the 2, a good little cafe that has good coffee, great lunch, and closes by 4 or 5 to get on the bike or boat.
Were looking for a nice little place, close to the beach.
When are you thinking of moving over? Were looking in about 14 months, sending my OH visa app away next August, and then selling our business here in belgium. So could be end of next yr, but could also be somewhere in '09.
Maybe we can do some great bike rides up or down the coast when we've both settled in. some great weekends.

Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Would be good to meet up if you end up in Cairns..hope to be there March 2008..thats when I am supposed to start my job but can't see visa being sorted by then..although I have been told that sponsored visas go through quicker..not sure if that is true or not!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:30 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We want to travel from Brisbane to Cairns to visit 5 or 6 places to see if we actually do like them, or whether they are just nice postcards.
Were looking at Hervey Bay, Bundy, Mackay, Mission Beach and cairns.
Just thought that if anyone knows any nice little spots along the route to stop!!
Yeppoon www.capricorncoast.com.au

nice place to stay here www.beachfront55.com.au

Last edited by biggy; Oct 9th 2007 at 10:33 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:10 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

We have a 3 bed apartment on the Esplanade, Bayside, East Brisbane, if that helps...fully furnished.