Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short road trip north of Brisbane

Short road trip north of Brisbane

Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:03 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short road trip north of Brisbane

Hi all,
Been ages since I've posted!
I'm going to be on the Gold Coast again in October and bringing my partner with me who has never been to Australia before.
We'd like to do a few days travelling up the coast from Brisbane and would love to go over to one of the islands on the reef. We don't mind which one!
I tried going to Lady Elliott Island the last time but our flight from Bundy was cancelled due to the bad weather!
We'll only have about 4 days so where do you reckon we should head for? We'd like to go as far up as possible but I know what the distances are like.
All suggestions welcome.
Julie X
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Short road trip north of Brisbane

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi all,
Been ages since I've posted!
I'm going to be on the Gold Coast again in October and bringing my partner with me who has never been to Australia before.
We'd like to do a few days travelling up the coast from Brisbane and would love to go over to one of the islands on the reef. We don't mind which one!
I tried going to Lady Elliott Island the last time but our flight from Bundy was cancelled due to the bad weather!
We'll only have about 4 days so where do you reckon we should head for? We'd like to go as far up as possible but I know what the distances are like.
All suggestions welcome.
Julie X
You shouldn't have far to go out of Brisbane to find toads
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:16 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! Bloody spell check!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'd avoid the road trip altogether as I don't think the drive is that inspiring and it will use up 2 of your 4 days.

You could fly from BNE direct into Hamilton Island. Just went there myself 3 weeks ago for 3 nights. Think it was the perfect length of stay. Weather should be good in October and there are various tours you can do out to other islands, the reef, Whitehaven Beach etc.

This was the view from our apartment:

Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'd avoid the road trip altogether as I don't think the drive is that inspiring and it will use up 2 of your 4 days. You could fly from BNE direct into Hamilton Island. Just went there myself 3 weeks ago for 3 nights. Think it was the perfect length of stay. Weather should be good in October and there are various tours you can do out to other islands, the reef, Whitehaven Beach etc. This was the view from our apartment: http://i65.tinypic.com/v4au1h.jpg
Wow, would you be kind enough to share a link to that resort where you stayed. I am going to book a week there as a surpise for my partner.
How much are the return flights there, also where best to book them from BNE.
Great picture, thanks in advance. That looks like paradise, i could do with a weeks break incoporating only a short flight.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:48 am
Chocoholic

Wow! Looks amazing bc. Will take a look thank you. Beautiful photo.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I once stayed on South Molle island which is another of the Whitsundays

A bit quieter than Hamilton.

We went into a travel agent in Airlie beach and got a last minute deal. You can fly to Airlie beach/Proserpine and get a ferry to the islands.

As said, the drive is boring as you can not see very much....unless you like looking at sugar cane
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:14 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
As said, the drive is boring as you can not see very much....unless you like looking at sugar cane
Actually, for people from the UK, the very fact you can drive that far with very little around is itself interesting.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:22 am
Chocoholic

Thanks Grayling. Will check out that idea too. I always pictured that drive to be picturesque but obviously not
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:29 am
Chocoholic

bcworld, what was the name of the apartments you stayed in please?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Grayling. Will check out that idea too. I always pictured that drive to be picturesque but obviously not
It is in parts but, once you get past Nooss it tends to be very 'samey' and you are either travelling through woods or sugar cane. It does not really meet the coast much so you rarely see the sea......it is also hell of a long way

It is very scenic if you go through the Glasshouse mountains from Brisbane up through Maleny etc...it is a bit of a roundabout route which will take you to Noosa in 3 hours or so...about 2 hours if you go on the motorway.

Noosa itself is well worth a stay, has nice beaches and walks round the headland, plenty of restaurants etc and nice apartments.

Depends on what you are looking for.....if you have 4wd drive and know what you are doing you can drive along Seventy mile beach from Noosa as far as Fraser Island which is also worth a visit.

1770 is also worth avisit...about 6 hours or so from Brisbane.

However, if you really want the barrier reef then the Whitsundays onwards are where you need to be and that is a long, long drive.....there are trips to the reef from Airlie beach and the islands....the flight is only an hour or so from Brisbane so is worth thinking about.

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 22nd 2016 at 11:07 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:58 am
Chocoholic

Thanks grayling. I have been to Noosa before. It is beautiful there. I would really love to snorkel on the GBR so more research needed I think!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks grayling. I have been to Noosa before. It is beautiful there. I would really love to snorkel on the GBR so more research needed I think!
My 86 yr old FiL snorkelled on the barrier reef while on a trip fom Airlie beach....it was also a glass bottomed boat.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sign
Wow, would you be kind enough to share a link to that resort where you stayed. I am going to book a week there as a surpise for my partner.
How much are the return flights there, also where best to book them from BNE.
Great picture, thanks in advance. That looks like paradise, i could do with a weeks break incoporating only a short flight.
bcworld, what was the name of the apartments you stayed in please?
We stayed here: Whitsunday Apartments Hamilton Island

I'm pretty sure you can get it cheaper than booking direct by booking here: Hotel Deals on CheapTickets (just be aware that the prices quoted are in USD and make sure you enter the current promo code - looks like only valid to Sep 30th so far).

I had a quick look and saw Virgin Australia flights at $99 each way between BNE and HTI.

I'll just say as well that I think a week could be quite a long time on Hamilton Island...but if you're content to laze around alongside a few trips it might be OK. Having an apartment was definitely an advantage in terms of flexibility with meals...there are some decent places to eat but the island is very small and it does feel like you do the same thing every day!

For general info on the island they have a pretty comprehensive website: Hamilton Island Accommodation | Hotels, Deals & Great Barrier Reef Holidays

Agree with Grayling, the drive north of the Sunshine Coast is not in any way picturesque! It's a bit more dramatic up in FNQ but then you're talking about 2 days drive.

Last edited by bcworld; Feb 22nd 2016 at 8:21 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short road trip north of Brisbane

Haha! Bloody spell check!
Fixed it for ya.

You guys could always pop in for a drink and say Hi if you have time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.